Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-18, 10:59

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Lavash bread pizza two layer method

I had not found any methods/recipes using a double Lavash layer method for pizza, so I thought I would share the concept.

As I looked for Lavash pizza recipes (which are really more methods than recipes), so many of them referred to it as a "cracker crust" and "if you really like thin pizza crust" and "careful not to use wet toppings".

I wanted to experiment with getting as close to regular pizza as possible and my wife has never been a fan of cracker crust type pizzas. Me?...there is no such thing as an awful pizza for me, even a bad attempt at pizza is still pretty good!

So, it hit me...double layer! Yes, but what about that "wet ingredients" thing? I wanted a tomato sauce (I actually get the 5-7 gram net carbs per serving pasta sauces and use them for almost everything in that range of food).

The solution was to pre-bake the top layer. I pre-heated the oven to 400° and put a single Lavash sheet on a baking sheet and in the oven. You have to watch this carefully, I took my eyes off the first one and made a large cracker out of it! Which was actually very good, I sprinkled some Cajun season on it, then broke it up in to pieces and it was even dip-able in a spreadable cheese.

Back to pizza...so I watched the second try and before it actually got brown I checked it and it was firm, but not cracker fragile. This was the perfect point of doneness for my theory. Here's where it gets really good...I took another sheet of Lavash and laid it on the baking sheet, then covered that with a mozzarella/provolone shredded cheese layer, then laid the par-baked firm sheet on top of that...then spread pasta sauce and topped with the rest...mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, onions, pickled jalapenos, black olives and extra seasonings like thyme, oregano, black pepper and I even like a bit of MSG (that stuff has gotten a bad rap, it's NOT the poison so many people think it is).

I baked it until desired doneness and let the sheet pan rest on a wire rack until significantly cooled off (I learned not to rush cutting in to any pizza years ago) then cut with a regular pizza cutter.

The slices were manageable by hand like any regular pizza and absolutely fantastic. The layer of cheese between the two Lavash bread layers and par-baking the top Lavash layer was a big success.

I dont cook pizza by time. Sometimes I will set a timer just to make sure I dont forget and over-bake them, but usually a pizza will tell you its getting done by the smell from the oven. I have learned to stay nearby and just keep an eye on pizza for the last several minutes of cooking...it pays off with a lot less over cooked pizza!

Carbs? Yep, not exactly induction friendly, but I'm in phase 2-ish of Atkins-ish so I'm eating anywhere between 15 and 30 grams a day, and some low carb splurges now, like this usually on the weekends may push me up to a 40 gram day here and there, even with that and drinking some liquor I'm still slowly losing weight.

The Lavash bread like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Josephs-Lava...d/dp/B0079OUVF4

Is 10 grams net carbs each full sheet, so my wife and I splitting the pizza (there is no way to NOT eat this all between two people for dinner, its so good and not really that much) gave us 10 grams carbs net in the crust, then the toppings. I'm not weighing and calculating pizza toppings, I just stuck with certain good carb things and using the 5-7 gram net per 1/2 cup sauce keeps the carb impact down. My guess is, we took in maybe 15 grams each, I seriously doubt it was as high as 20. FAR less than a real pizza crust of course.

This is NOT an every day meal, its a splurge, but still a low carb splurge.

The reason I did this is I found the Lavash bread at Walmart for...I want to think it was $3 or less...somewhere in that range. It, like all low carb breads are highway robbery in cost online or in any health food store and even more upscale groceries. I was overjoyed to get a reasonable bread alternative for a reasonable price. We've been eating the low carb tortillas for a while now but something different is nice.

I plan to try some other pizza crust recipes like Buttoni's, but this was a no-brainer to try, seeing the low price at Walmart. I'm glad I did, its a keeper!

I've done the ground cooked chicken and cheese crust method too. It was good, but simply not like real pizza and it could not be eaten by hand unless it was cold...and with the chicken, cheese, etc. actually pretty expensive. With this Lavash so inexpensive at Walmart, and the fact that I'm way past induction level carb restriction, this may become a once a week thing or at least once every two weeks.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sun, Apr-29-18 at 11:11.
Sponsored Links