Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 21:18
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

OK--no one has checked in since Jan 10th. Everybody OK??

I'm doing really well. Using my light, taking my supplements. Feeling relatively good--knock on wood.

Have a trip to Mexico planned with my sister, but not until April.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 05:48

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
OK--no one has checked in since Jan 10th. Everybody OK??

I'm doing really well. Using my light, taking my supplements. Feeling relatively good--knock on wood.

Have a trip to Mexico planned with my sister, but not until April.

Lisa
Good to hear that you're doing well Lisa.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the other day that I should post an update here!

I'm also doing really well, despite the fact that I broke my light at the beginning of January, and haven't yet got around to replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi on Dec-01-09
Having said that, I don't usually start to flag until the end of January/beginning of February, so it will be interesting to see if I've done enough to keep it at bay.
As I previously said, I would normally start to flag around now, but I haven't had any problems at all. I do think it's my regular (2-3 times a week) sunbed sessions that have been the key for me this year.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 03:14

BF:

Quote:
From the Telegraph
London, UK
8 March, 2010

Eating foods rich in Vitamin D 'staves off winter blues'

Eating plenty of foods rich in vitamin D such as oily fish and eggs can stave off the winter blues, say scientists.

Many people are more prone to SAD (seasonal affected disorder) during winter months as most of our exposure to vitamin D, which enhances our mood, comes from absorbing sunlight.

Professor Sue Penckofer, of Loyola University, Chicago, said: "Vitamin D deficiency continues to be a problem despite the nutrient's widely reported health benefits.

"Winters compound this issue when more people spend time away from sunlight, which is a natural source of vitamin D."

The nutrient is also found in liver and fortified foods such as margarine, breakfast cereals and powdered milk.

But the best source is summer sunlight because the vitamin forms under the skin in reaction to the rays.

Recent research has indicated because we all now wear sunscreen through the summer and see barely any daylight through the winter, many of us are low in vitamin D which is why people get SAD.

A number of studies have been done on sufferers and shown vitamin D helps to lift mood, in some cases proving better than light boxes.

But diet alone may not be sufficient to manage vitamin D levels with a combination of foods containing the nutrient, exposure to sunlight and treatment with supplements required.

Prof Penckofer and colleagues are enrolling eighty women aged 18 to 70 in a six month clinical trial of weekly vitamin D supplements to see if they improve blood sugar control and mood in those with diabetes.

Depression is associated with increased insulin resistance, so people with diabetes have a greater risk for the mental disorder. Women also tend to have greater rates of depression and poorer blood sugar control than men with diabetes.

Prof Penckofer said: "There is evidence to suggest that vitamin D supplementation may decrease insulin resistance.

"If we can stabilize insulin levels, we may be able to simply and cost effectively improve blood sugar control and reduce symptoms of depression for these women.

"Vitamin D has widespread benefits for our health and certain chronic diseases in particular. Our research may shed greater light on the role this nutrient plays in managing two conditions that impact millions of Americans.

"If proven to be successful, vitamin D may an important addition to care for diabetes and depression."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...nter-blues.html
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 05:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
As I previously said, I would normally start to flag around now, but I haven't had any problems at all. I do think it's my regular (2-3 times a week) sunbed sessions that have been the key for me this year.
Following on from this comment, I have been feeling a bit 'blah' this week, and then I realised that it's been over a week since I last had a sunbed session. I've been busy and my sessions seem to have fallen by the wayside, so I'm hoping that if I have one tonight, it'll give me the boost I need.

How's everyone else doing??
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 09:30
Every day is day one

BF:

Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! to the sunbed

I have been doing remarkably well. I can't believe it. I've had a few rough days but nothing like I usually experience. Maybe I have finally found the perfect combination of supplements and medication.

I'm looking forward to my Mexico cruise coming up the first week of April.

Everyone else, I think we need a mid-winter check in.

Lisa

As I sit next to my Happy Lite as I type.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 18:54
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Three weeks ago, I bought a blue light and started taking 5000 iu Vit D. My mood, attitude, and sleep have improved immeasurably. I used to be a tanner, but can't do that anymore - these measures are very adequate solutions!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 18:15
Every day is day one

BF:

OK my pretties, spring is almost here. The light is changing. How's everyone doing??

I got about 4 excellent days of sun on my cruise before the nasty little Noro virus hit. It's nice to be brown intead of pasty beige

I have to say I weathered (pardon the pun) this winter fairly well, in fact the one of the best winters I've ever had--I can't pin-point just one thing, but the one thing different than the past is that I've been on bHRT since last May which has made a HUGE difference not only physically, but mentally as well.

Ya'll check in.

Lisa
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 13:02

BF:

Quote:
OK my pretties, spring is almost here. The light is changing. How's everyone doing??
I'm doing really well thanks!

Quote:
I have to say I weathered (pardon the pun) this winter fairly well, in fact the one of the best winters I've ever had--I can't pin-point just one thing, but the one thing different than the past is that I've been on bHRT since last May which has made a HUGE difference not only physically, but mentally as well.
I can honestly say that it's also been one of the best winters that I've ever had too. In my case, I'm sure it's the sunbeds that have made all the difference.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 18:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I did better this winter also. In my case I think the increased fat helped.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 20:35
Every day is day one

BF:

This is so weird (in a good way) that everyone seemed to do better this winter.

Yeah for us!!!!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-10, 09:22
Every day is day one

BF:

OK you guys. Just a mid-summer check-in.

Feeling great. Kickn' ass takn' names!

Still on my same regime--meds, supplements, and light therapy.

We've had almost 2 weeks of sunshine and NO rain. Ahhhh...a rare treat.

Everybody do a quick check-in and let us know how you're doing.

Lisa
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 10:11
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

I'm doing very well. Still doing my blue light, supps, meds.... I don't like how hot it is here, but at least summer finally arrived after a cold, wet spring!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 08:38
Every day is day one

BF:

OK my fellow SAD sufferers--depending on where you live, it's starting--the light is changing ever so slightly.

Does everybody have a plan?? Game on!

Demi--I am always thinking of you and your family
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 06:21

BF:

I have already posted this as a separate article, but thought it would be good to include here in this thread:

From Dr Briffa's blog:

Quote:
October 12, 2010

Natural approaches to combating the winter blues

Here in the UK many of us will be acutely aware that the days are already noticeably shorter. One of the risks associated with shorter days is lowered mood or full-blown ‘seasonal affective disorder’ (SAD – also known as the ‘winter blues’. For sure, some people are more susceptible to this than others. For those who can feel ‘down in the dumps’ in the winter, I suggest be wary of the potential impact of light (or lack of it) on mood.

The issue here is that many of us, in the depths of winter, can go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. So, if we don’t get out at lunchtime, we run the risk of getting no sunlight exposure in the day at all. This, generally, is not a good state of affairs. So, one simple strategy for helping combat SAD or more muted versions of this condition is to make a commitment to getting out at lunchtime for half an hour or so. Even on the dull day the light intensity outside generally far exceeds anything you’re going to find in an office. Plus, the spectrum of the light coming from the sun is generally more conducive to having benefits for mood and wellbeing.

A year ago, almost to the day, I wrote a blog post about evidence which suggests that the ‘blue’ part of the spectrum is most effective in terms of combating SAD. This morning, I thought I’d see if the science has moved on regarding the management of SAD, and came across a review article which was published earlier this year in the Drugs and Therapeutics Bulletin [1].

One of the treatments assessed by this review was, inevitably, light therapy. The review quotes a systematic review of 8 controlled trials lasting 7-42 days that found positive results across the board [2]. It also cited another review [3] which found that bright light therapy offered considerable benefits compared to no light, but no statistically significant benefits compared to ‘control’ treatments such as exposure to sham light boxes or dim red light. The suggestion from this review here is that bright light therapy may ‘work’ primarily through the placebo effect. As I’ve stated before, if this is the case, then I don’t very much care (and neither, generally, do my patients).

However, it is possible that any real effect was not discerned as a result factors such as poor study design, inappropriate use of controls, and small participant numbers.

In short, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend that individuals who get SAD or something similar in the winter apply some light therapy from about now and right through to well into the spring. I, myself, will be taking my own advice, for what it’s worth.

One of the reasons for writing about this review is that it mentions a type of natural treatment for SAD that I was not previously aware – negative ion generators. Negative ions are found more abundantly in the air, for instance, after a storm, in humid, plant-rich environments and by the sea. Negative ions are believed by some to have benefits on mood and wellbeing. Positive ions, on the other hand, have the reverse effect and are found abundantly in heated and air-conditioned internal environments.

In one study [4], individuals with SAD were subjected to generators which gave off high (2.7 x 106 ions/cm3) or low (104 ions/cm3) levels of negative ions. 58 per cent of those exposed to higher levels of negative ions achieved remission of their SAD, compared to 15 per cent in the other group (the result was statistically significant).

One other natural approach worth trying concerns vitamin D. For more about this, see this post.

References:

1. Management of seasonal affective disorder DTB 2009;47:128-132

2. Golden RN, et al. The efficacy of light therapy in the treatment of mood disorders: a review and meta-analysis of the evidence. Am J Psych 2005;162:656-62

3. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Depression in adults (update) 2009

4. Terman M, et al. Treatment of seasonal affective disorder with a high-output negative ionizer. J Altern Complement Med 1995;1:87-92

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/10/12/...e-winter-blues/
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 06:30

BF:

Unfortunately, it's that time of year again.

My intention is to follow the same routine as I did last year, that is to take at least 5,000iu of Vitamin D3, 1g Omega 3s (in the form of fish oil) and 500mg magnesium daily, have regular sunbeds, try to exercise every day, and start using my Light Box again. I'm hoping that despite the extra stress I'm experiencing due to my DH's illness, this will see me through until the spring.

What about everyone else? Are you already follow your combating the winter blue's plan?