Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 13:47
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Okay, okay. Let me clarify. I'm not an insensitive idiot. This was during snack time and a teenaged aid was asking me how much I had lost. I replied to her, "about a second-grader." That struck the kids as funny. We laugh a lot in my room. Some of the kids started calling out how much they weighed. I said the "poll" thing because we have been doing this in math. It was informal and completely voluntary. No one was singled out or questioned. About 4 boys called out. Believe me....as a teacher in this day and age, we have to be incredibly careful of more than you can imagine. I apologize if I have offended anyone. The gist of this thread is to be light-hearted and celebratory. I won't go into any further discussion of defending myself as per my relationship and caring for my students since 1) you don't know me or my reputation as a teacher, and 2)I do not have a guilty conscience on this issue.
Sara<><
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 14:57

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

very funny. I too have the alcohol nightmares. Sometimes I even wake up feeling drunk. I guess I haven't been without carbs long enough yet to have those nightmares.
Lane Bryant is a good store, but I'll trade 1 good store for many, many more! Soon!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 22:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/147/128 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good post - thanks for the inspiration Sara!
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 22:52

Plan: Atkins-induction
Stats: 270/270/140 Female 5"5'
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sarar....I have to say that you handled the 'poll' misunderstanding wonderfully!!! Well said! Not that I believe the others insights were ment to upset .....
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 01:07

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

In sixth grade, I remember the nurse weighing us and telling the weights out loud to an aide. Of course, you could hear a pin drop when they said people's weights, because everyone wanted to know, especially what the fat girl weighs. I know that Sarar handled it fine because she was there and has lost considerable weight, so she has compassion, and never would have made anyone tell their weight out loud that didn't want to say it. (Actually, I'm looking forward to the day when I'm not self-conscious about telling people what I weigh!)

Gail
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 05:00
Princess Sara

We all have issues, don't we? I certainly have mine. I've spent a lifetime in "recovery" of my childhood. Also, I have multiple diseases--Yikes! Fortunately, when God created me, He gave me an extra large funny bone. These days I am absolutely fillled with joy. I feel like a lifetime of prayers about my weight and eating issues have been answered. I'm trying to notice and enjoy this journey.

I loved Eri Z's words about her "apron." I have that too...Only now it is evident that I do have a gender. One of my favorite authors, Anne Lamontt, spoke of the stomach pouch aging had given her. She said she just wished she could install a zipper, cause it would be such a handy little purse. {<: I deal with mine by rubbing extra yummy lotions on it every day--then I tuck it away into a pair of Spanx.
Sara<><
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 10:31

Stats: 170/165/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Wink Wow!

Sara...you should be a writer, or maybe you are?? This was so awesome to read...you had me laughing. Even though I just started Atkins, I lost about 50 pounds nine years ago and kept it off...just never lost the other 45 or so. I can totally relate to some of the stuff you wrote. My family spends all their time commenting on whose fat or whose butt is bigger this year...but then when one of us goes on a diet...specifically low carb....they have negative comments about that, too. I've learned to just shake my head, look at them like they're crazy...and laugh. Someone is always going to have issues with Atkins or any other low carb lifestyle....to each his own I guess.

Thanks for brightening my day with your post...Angi
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 17:19

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Sara ..I loved your stories....what did shock me was that some took such offense ...perhaps our culture is hypersensitive to perceived personal offense....it worries me sometimes that we have to screen everysingle thing we say, in case we would offend someone...JMHO
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 09:53

Stats: 200/178/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have lost from 200 to 180 and even that little loss of weight shows. I am starting over to lose the last of the weight. Goal 140. At least my belly isn't bigger than my Butt. lol
Shirl
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 13:42
Princess Sara

There ya go, Girl Shirl!!

I gotta another one to share. Have you noticed that you become part of the "cute girl clubs." I have had two friends ask for my help in selecting outfits (Whoa!). On Friday, my TINY friend, Myra, said: "Oh shoot. I knew I shouldn't have worn my skinny jeans today, you are wearing your's." Now, I'll admit that I don't really understand what she meant. Has a butt width measuring device been installed at work? Are wearing "skinny jeans" like wearing an identical dress? Oh well, I just think I'm in some kind of thin girl club....hope there are no membership fees 'cause I've spent too much on new clothes.
Sara<><
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 13:54

BF:

ROFL...OH sooo true!!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 18:06
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
Sara ..I loved your stories....what did shock me was that some took such offense ...perhaps our culture is hypersensitive to perceived personal offense....it worries me sometimes that we have to screen everysingle thing we say, in case we would offend someone...JMHO

Ditto on all the above~~ I LOVED your observations, Sara, AND your awesome sense of humor! I can tell you're an awsome teacher, too... don't change a thing!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 19:37

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDweller
(Actually, I'm looking forward to the day when I'm not self-conscious about telling people what I weigh!)

Gail

My daughter got over her fear of having her weight announced when she took up wrestling for her sport. They not only announce your weight, but they write it right on your arm - 171- in indelable ink! When you win, you do it for a weight division! I would love to be that confident!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 05:42
Princess Sara

I've broken through my plateau. Thanks so much to this forum--I didn't realize how many hidden carbs I was consuming, how much more water I needed, or that I was brave enough to increase my exercise.

This morning my weight is 143 and my blood sugar is 91. Did you ever think that numbers would be so much a part of your life? I always hated math. I can't help but think of how many years I felt like my numbers were controlling me. I was bewildered by the raising number on the scale and the erractic ones from the blood glucose monitor. Dang! Ain't this a purty picture!?

Well I'm off to one of those school system meetings. Ugh! a day of meetings. I will miss the kids. These system-wide meetings are kinda fun as far as people watching. First of all, it is fun to see custodians and lunchroom ladies in "regular" clothes. (Not unlike when you saw your teacher at the grocery store, when you were a kid. It just didn't fit with your brain/schemata). Also, as I've said, Alabama women can dress! I picked out my "cute-as-I-can-be outfit" last night. Unfortunately, it is supposed to rain and I was gonna wear my high-heeled boots. I think I will anyway. My Sweet Mama always said to wear really good shoes if you were going to be a boring event--it gave you something to look at. Now, I am becoming My Sweet Mama...she is so proud.
Have a good one,
Sara<><
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 06:02

BF:

Congrats!!!! great progress!!