Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 11:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Debunking and Deconstructing Some Myths of Paleo: Part 1 Tubers

Link here

This looks good. Those who believe in "safe starches" will find this provocative.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 10:47

Plan: Moderate Carb Paleo
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%/30%/25%
Progress: 63%

Interesting. I'm not sure if I buy the whole "we don't have evidence of x, so therefore x wasn't there and any amount of x is not healthy" argument structure. At the same time, I'm not ready to go out and get a bunch of potatoes and cook up some french fries, mashed potatoes, and a side of fried rice and beans for dinner. I think research supporting the paleo diet is more compelling when it uses evidence from the past and the present day. There is so much about the past that we don't know, and some that we never will know. What if there's a huge piece to the puzzle we're missing? We won't ever know, because it's millions of years later and we don't have a time machine.

Anyway, thank you very much Nancy, that was a fun morning read
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 11:28

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Very interesting read, especially since I'm a big fan of potatoes. Mostly because I can grow my own and they are a whole, organic food source for my family. I get the part about our ancestors eating mostly meat and fat. I also have read about epigenetics and have a basic understanding and belief in how our parents and grandparents eating has negatively affected our health. So I am thinking about extremely long ago ancestral diet vs dietary changes in just a couple of generations. My thought pattern is this: if epigenetics holds any truth, then evolutionary changes happen relatively quickly. So while it may be true that we evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to eat mostly fat and protein, I believe that we have evolved quickly enough over the past millennia to adequately process other foods such as potatoes, yams, corn, squash, etc. It's the past 40 years or so of GMO foods and processed foods that are doing us in, IMO.