Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 10:59

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Paleo still doesn't include dairy.

True enough, but that doesn't invalidate applying paleolithic style rules to the rest of one's dietary choices. I think that's what people are trying to get at; for whatever reason, they (and I) are unwilling to go without dairy fats either on principle or just expediency.

So the fact that I have a hunk of cheese or butter to bring up my calories, does not invalidate using a paleo filter to choose whole dried fruit instead of grain of any kind for my carbs. Selecting fatty beef over tofu (and I *like* tofu); smaller fatty fish over lean open water fish (sanma/mackerel over cod), grilling the fish instead of frying it in oil, etc.

Paleo does have a branding problem because you can't really trademark the name, and it doesn't have an (in)famous central Glorious Leader; so I understand the desire to defend the first used definition of the diet. But being so dogmatic in a discussion forum doesn't really help folks get away from the sugars and refined grains that are killing them....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 11:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I just say I'm "mostly paleo" and that can cover a lot of territory.

I do kind of feel like people who insist they're paleo and eat cheese, yogurt and dairy products are stretching the label a bit. I'd call them "mostly paleo".

But overall, it isn't that important. I guess I'd be pretty offended if someone who just eliminated gluten and ate a bunch of GF substitute foods called themselves paleo. If you're eat a lot of foods that have more than a few ingredients, then that doesn't strike me as being consistent with a paleo diet.

Getting hung up over labels isn't too helpful, although if someone tells me they eat a paleo diet, I'm going to assume they don't eat dairy.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 12:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Yeah, I'm Paleoish. I eat cheese and use butter. And I occasionally eat somethings that are definitely well into the Neolithic.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-13, 15:44

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwff
True enough, but that doesn't invalidate applying paleolithic style rules to the rest of one's dietary choices. I think that's what people are trying to get at; for whatever reason, they (and I) are unwilling to go without dairy fats either on principle or just expediency.

So the fact that I have a hunk of cheese or butter to bring up my calories, does not invalidate using a paleo filter to choose whole dried fruit instead of grain of any kind for my carbs. Selecting fatty beef over tofu (and I *like* tofu); smaller fatty fish over lean open water fish (sanma/mackerel over cod), grilling the fish instead of frying it in oil, etc.

Paleo does have a branding problem because you can't really trademark the name, and it doesn't have an (in)famous central Glorious Leader; so I understand the desire to defend the first used definition of the diet. But being so dogmatic in a discussion forum doesn't really help folks get away from the sugars and refined grains that are killing them....
All I said was that dairy isn't paleo. I really don't see why the need for such wordy responses? I also don't understand why anybody that either follows a fairly strict paleo diet or points out that certain things are not paleo, are referred to as "dogmatic"? Am I dogmatic because I have found something that works for me?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 12:35

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
I really don't see why the need for such wordy responses?

Wordy? I thought it was pretty short and pithy.

Quote:
I also don't understand why anybody that either follows a fairly strict paleo diet or points out that certain things are not paleo, are referred to as "dogmatic"? Am I dogmatic because I have found something that works for me?

Not necessarily, but if you use those form of comments to shut down discussion concerning any deviation from what works for you, it can appear dogmatic. It also doesn't leave people much of handle to continue the discussion about why the modification or deviation works for them.

After all, there isn't some guy handing out checks for he who best executes the perfect paleo diet and energy expenditure.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-13, 20:01

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 208/140/140 Male 1,70
BF:
Progress:

Well, you make a good point considering the strictness of the diet. I think, in recent times, people are taking the good things out of the diet and learning what works and doesn't work.

I wrote an article on expected trends for 2013, and you can clearly see that the natural / fruit part from paleo is popular, and people should take from a diet what works for them:

http://paleorecipesforyou.com/2013/01/08/paleo-in-2013/

I think it's just a matter of personal preference...
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-13, 16:21

Plan: Primal blueprint
Stats: 250/196/190 Male 6ft1in
BF:
Progress: 90%

No offence to you Warren, but this is why I've started saying I'm Primal instead of Paleo. Some folks are real purists and that's fine for them. This diet works great for me, but it's my choice of foods.
Heck, I know a "Vegetarian" who eats sausages because they don't look like meat!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-13, 20:30

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

JEY100 and others Thanks for the info. I will be going back to read more.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 08:54

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofter
Some folks are real purists and that's fine for them.
It's not that people are purists. It's just that there is a definition of "paleo" and anything that is different is simply not paleo that's all. Just like there is a definition of "primal".
Quote:
Heck, I know a "Vegetarian" who eats sausages because they don't look like meat!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 11:07

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

You know, the reason for all this discusion is why I won't go "palao" or "primal." I mainly eat meat and veggies, but, I like my condaments, butter, pork rinds cheeses and on occasion a diet soda. There is no term for what I do, so I just stay out of the mess and be happy.