Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 01:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why Helen Mirren is still sexy in her sixties and a role model for growing old grace

From The Mail
London, UK
17 July, 2008

Why Helen Mirren is still sexy in her sixties and a role model for growing old gracefully

By JOAN COLLINS

Newspapers had a field day yesterday running a photograph of Dame Helen Mirren in a bikini posing with her husband on the rocks near her holiday home in Italy.

(Helen Mirren the bikini queen reigns supreme at 63)

Everyone seemed rather amazed that she was looking so good just days short of her 63rd birthday - yet there are flocks of women in their 50s, 60s and 70s who still look sexy and absolutely wonderful whether in or out of a swimsuit.

I certainly applaud Dame Helen for wearing a bikini on which she obviously thought was an extremely secluded stretch of beach.

At the age of 75, I almost always wear a bikini by my own pool with just family and friends in the vicinity, but I, too, was recently caught by a photographer while lounging on a yacht in one.

Unfortunately today, with the excessive emphasis that is placed by society on youth, youth, youth, many women over 40 are beginning to feel unsexy - and with that often comes a tremendous feeling of insecurity.

But the truth is there are plenty of role models for them to aspire to: women like Dame Helen are by no means in the minority for looking sexy and stunning.

Look at Sophia Loren, Susan Sarandon, Ursula Andress, Stephanie Powers, Raquel Welch, Barbara Eden, Joanna Lumley, Linda Grey. The list is endless - and those are just the actresses.

I have many friends in their 60s, 70s and 80s who do not live in the limelight but who all look absolutely stunning.

They all have one thing in common, however: they have taken care of themselves all their lives - and by this I mean eating a reasonably healthy diet, exercising moderately, and not allowing themselves to become overweight.

Weight on a person is one of the most ageing and unhealthy things that can happen.

For women in the UK, the current life expectancy of 85 can actually be translated into a much longer life than that if she continues her simple basic maintenance - and, of course, doesn't get ill.

Sadly, many of today's illnesses stem from being overweight.

Diabetes, kidney and liver problems, cancer, heart disease, emphysema and osteoporosis are often caused by the body having to lug around too much extra avoirdupois.

Getting older should be just that: getting older,but not becoming old, and therefore not losing one's sex appeal.

I believe that one is as young as one looks. When an old codger leers 'I feel 21', I have to stop myself from saying: 'Well, you don't look it, Grandpa!'

The truth is that women, on the whole, age better and look sexier than the opposite sex - and men often find this hard to accept. I'm sure that the gals from Sex And The City will still look sexy at 60 and over.

This idea that women of a certain age should not, or can not, be sexy is quite ridiculous.

It's also a very British state of mind. In France, they revere and respect older women; as they do in most Latin countries, where they consider older women to be delightful and with tons of sexual allure.

It might be a cliche, but today 60 really is the new 45. And 50 is more like 35.

Face it, you're only truly 'young' for less than one third of your life - which means that for most of your life you'll be classed with that horrid epithet 'older woman'.

It's a phrase loaded with a host of negative connotations, not least of which is an implication that your sex life is over - or, if it's not, that it should be.

Unfortunately, a lot of young people think that sex is the prerogative of the young.

Many are appalled by the idea of the over 40s, including their parents, being or looking sexy, or even, God forbid, having sex.

This is almost a throwback to days of puritanical religious intemperance, when sex was meant only for reproduction.

And yet it's a fact that many of the world's most famous women in history were sexually active well into middle age and beyond.

In her 60s, Catherine the Great was reputed to continue to take young lovers to bed - some 40 years her junior.

Mae West, who lived to 90, had a constant lover 45 years younger than her, and she coined the classic phrase 'It's not the men in my life, but the life in my men'.

Sarah Bernhardt, the great French actress, and the legendary Coco Chanel both had lovers well into their late lives.

Now that sex is used to sell everything from vacuum cleaners (painful but true) to plane tickets, it should be accepted that it's everyone's prerogative to enjoy it and have it, regardless of age.

It makes me happy when I read about a couple marrying in their 80s, or rediscovering their lost love from 50 years ago.

Helen Mirren is just the tip of the sexual iceberg for the 'golden agers' or 'seniors' or whatever condescending epithet is bandied around to categorise older people.

Of course, at 40 or 50 you're not going to have the dewy, unlined skin of a teenager - but it's totally possible to keep looking as good as you can for as long as you live.

And if you look good to yourself, then others will find you sexy.

The late Queen Mother was a fabulous example of living life to the fullest extent until well over 100, and having plenty of admirers as a result. It's called 'use it or lose it': whether it's working your brain or your butt, you've gotta work at it.

The number of people now living over the age of 60 is closing in on the 1 billion mark and, by 2050, will be well over it.

On the subject of old age, I'm with that great American statesman and philanthropist Bernard Baruch when he said: 'Old age is always 15 years older than I am.' How true! Or Groucho Marx when he said: 'Growing old is something you do if you're lucky.'

It's admirable to have the attitude that the great director Billy Wilder had when someone asked him: 'Who the hell wants to be 95?' - 'Someone who's 94!' he quipped.

So do I have any secrets when it comes to holding back the years? Well, beauty products that claim to fight ageing fly off the shelves, and there are so many it's hard to choose from them all. But I swear by Cellex-C Ageless 15 - a skin rejuvenator - which really works.

From the look of her face and her body, Helen Mirren has taken jolly good care of herself and her diet, and it shows. So all hail Queen Helen. After all, there is nothing like a Dame.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...gracefully.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 02:09

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

All I can say is WOW

TJ
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 07:44

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I think she's much more beautiful now that she's older than when she was younger. If you follow the link to the Collins article, you'll see a lot of younger photos of Ms. Mirren. I think they look a little...ummm... shall I say "less classy" but the older photos look amazing!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 08:13

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

So eat low carb and get laid often. Sounds good to me!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Wow! What an inspiration!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 11:12

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

She looks great, but as for the article itself:
Quote:
They all have one thing in common, however: they have taken care of themselves all their lives - and by this I mean eating a reasonably healthy diet, exercising moderately, and not allowing themselves to become overweight.

I didn't 'allow' myself to become overweight, it started when I was eight years old and I've hated every moment of it. It wasn't a choice, I simply wasn't in possession of all the facts.

(I'm not usually this nitpicky or sensitive with this kind of article, it's just hard to imagine anyone who had truly ever struggled with weight or food could make a statement like that.)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 11:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Great article Demi!!

Thanks....

cuz at 58 and having lost a lot of weight, I'm not feeling very sexy lately.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 13:47

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I'll have to find some of that Cellex C.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 22:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sexual iceberg? Ummm... those two words together convey something totally different than what I think the author intended!
Quote:

Lets not forget having personal trainers, chefs, stylists, highly paid plastic surgeons, laser skin renewal sessions, loads of leisure time and so on...
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 05:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From The Sunday Times
July 20, 2008

Helen Mirren, still sexy in her sixties

Once, women were old at 40, but as Helen Mirren shows, age no longer defines them

India Knight *

What is the essence of modern womanhood, the one hard-to-define component that makes us all want to cheer the loudest, ecstatic with gratitude for the changes wrought over the past few decades? What is the thing that has made the most difference – the right to vote, equal pay or the elusive promise thereof? The pill? Abortion? Divorce?

Or the possibility that we may, at 62, perhaps look like Helen Mirren in a bikini?

And if you think that’s shallow, I would humbly posit that you understand nothing at all about real women’s hopes and ambitions.

Today we all have fortysomething, fifty-something, even sixtysomething friends who dress in such a way that they look about 15 from the back. We think it’s perfectly normal. It was not always so, even within living memory.

I am 42 and I can still just about remember the time when becoming “a mother” meant two things: a) you got a lovely baby and b) you got “promoted” overnight to the ranks of the dowdy middle-aged, without having any say in the matter. Being “a woman” meant no longer being “a girl”, which translated into bad clothes, bad hair, bad make-up and, if you were especially unfortunate, a bad figure. The idea that a woman in her sixties might one day deport herself in the sunshine, bikini-clad and exuding sexual confidence, would have been so improbable as to seem insane.

Worse, having reproduced meant that in the eyes of society you no longer existed as a sexual being. And all of this happened heartbreakingly young: women went from girlfriend to prematurely middle-aged fiancée often before their 25th birthday and as soon as they had popped the firstborn out – well, hello old lady: here’s your twinset and here’s a wonderful recipe for marmalade; the Stannah stairlift is on order for when you need it.

This applied uniformly across the board. When I was at school I was convinced that every one of my teachers was in her mid-sixties and it wasn’t just the callowness of youth that made me get it wrong by several decades.

I know now that they were for the most part in their thirties, but it was an easy mistake to make since many of them were – horrors! – unmarried, coupled with the fact that they were still part of a generation which, superficially “liberated” as it might have been (which is to say good at the theory but less so at the practice), believed that “bluestockings” were automatically frumps.

My friends’ mothers were, in some cases, extremely glamorous, in a look-but-don’t-touch kind of way, but they had not an ounce of anything that would pass for recognisable sex appeal between them. Looking like someone who had a sex life simply wasn’t done – and on the rare occasion when it was, you could hardly move for the accusations of vulgarity and the overwhelming sense of pity at poor old so-and-so (usually divorced) not managing to “age gracefully” (at 43 or so).

“Letting yourself go” – as in the sexy Italian girl getting married, producing children, putting on five stone, donning a black frock and devoting the rest of her life to mass and pasta – was not only a cliché but a daily reality, whether you were slipping on your housecoat (housecoats! Where are they now?) in Doncaster or waddling around Puglia dressed like an ancient crone, old before your time.

All of those women were younger than I am now and a good 30 years younger than Mirren.

If the picture was depressing for mothers, it was entirely bleak for grandmothers. A bit of baking, a bit of bridge or canasta, the sense that you were 102 and that society would treat you as such, even if you were in your late forties, and that was your lot – if you were lucky. Come to think of it, a lot of the grannies, my own included, were the sort of age that I am now.

Now, obviously, there wouldn’t be much point in looking like Mirren if we couldn’t vote, or got paid 2p an hour, or felt that sexual harassment came with the female territory and rolled our weary eyes every time some sweaty creep in a cheap suit copped a quick feel (or worse) at work.

And we must all give daily thanks for every painstakingly won societal and political gender advance (Mirren herself has always been a vocal card-carrying femi-nist).

But the fact remains that a 62-year-old woman looking hot – properly hot, not “hot for her age” or hot as in “fanciable, even though you know you shouldn’t” is a thing that simply can’t be celebrated enough.

By wearing her red bikini with such style, Mirren has redefined the possibilities and smashed through any number of societal glass ceilings.

The photograph of Mirren looking golden and happy and incredibly sexy, with (slightly annoyingly, I must say, it does raise the bar somewhat) a figure that many women of my generation would kill for, is going to become famous and with excellent reason – not least that she is properly sexy.

There are no comedy plastic bosoms, or an eerily smooth face, or grotesquely inflated absurdi-lips, no weirdly sinewy body that suggests she lives in the gym. She just looks great.

She has perhaps had a reasonable bit of “work”, but nothing that is outside most people’s league, now that so-called minor surgical procedures are deregulated and your chiropodist can technically give you Botox: we are hardly talking three facelifts and intensive body work.

It’s not a look that you often get in Heat magazine and its imitators: apart from Mirren’s fantastic figure, what was noticeably absent was the sad-desperate-exploited look of many celebrity magazine regulars who are 30 or 40 years her junior.

I am reliably informed that prior to last year’s Oscars, T-shirts appeared in New York and Los Angeles featuring a picture of Mirren and the legend DILF, as in MILF, but not. Ask a young man to explain the ILF part (it is a yearning plea for physical intimacy); the D stands for “Dame”. At the ceremony itself the two cool young comedians, whose job it was to keep the audience amused, sang them a song, the refrain of which was, “I’m going home with Helen Mirren”.

Mirren was up for (and won) an Oscar for her performance as the Queen. She is beautiful, which helps – but this isn’t just about her physical appearance, pleasing as it is. It is about the breeziness with which she seems to be saying, “Here I am – I’m 62 and this is how it is for me and how it could be for you.” It is a triumphant assertion of easy, carefree femininity.

We live in a time when young women are tormented by lack of confidence, beset by endless anxieties concerning their perceived physical inadequacies and self-harming in a variety of different ways – from cutting themselves to starving themselves, via binge eating.

Middle-aged women don’t seem to be significantly better off: many are desperately trying to keep up with their twenty-something counterparts, which is inevitably doomed to failure and doesn’t make anyone feel great about themselves.

Older women, though – women who, three generations ago, would have either been heading for the nursing home or intensely devoted to card games and cats – are not only where it’s at but where many of us would like to be: happy, carefree, sexy, in charge.

Witness the brilliance of Meryl Streep, who is (incredibly) pushing 60, in this summer’s smash-hit blockbuster Mamma Mia! The thing that has audiences whooping and dancing in the aisles isn’t the charming sweetness of the film’s younger cast members, but the sight (and sound) of near-pensioner Streep, who would have been defined as elderly not so long ago, bouncing up and down on a bed, yelling Abba lyrics and looking beautiful and free and sensual while she does it. It’s not just Streep: her co-stars also steal the show and none of them will see 50 again.

What the film demonstrates with startling clarity is that the rewards of feminism are far more enjoyable than its arguments – and that those rewards come only with age and experience. Mamma Mia! is powered by some of the obsessions that classic feminists hate – men, marriage, children, domestic bliss – and yet, ironically enough, it manages to be the most female-affirming film of the past decade. And Mirren in her red bikini says more, more succinctly, about what women want and can achieve than any amount of turgid feminist preaching ever could.

Women’s interest in looking good is still not a subject that is taken seriously: being devoted to lipstick, or to making sure that you look nice on the beach, is still tantamount to admitting that you are unforgiv-ably shallow. Men snigger derisively and so-called serious women are scornful of such supposedly lightweight interests.

I’ve never understood it: surely taking an interest in your appearance is the most basic indicator of self-respect and if you ain’t got self-respect, then you ain’t got much, even if you can quote Andrea Dworkin and Catharine MacKinnon until everybody falls asleep with boredom.

Both the Mirren photograph and the film of Mamma Mia! show women’s interest in how they look and how they survive and how they enjoy laughing and dressing up and being surrounded by beautiful things is so important that it is nowadays the biggest part of their success – patriarchy be damned. Who cares, when you have a super-capable matriarchy speaking for millions and asserting itself so persuasively?

The trick was always turning towards yourself without turning away from men and the older these women are, the better they have managed it – not just in films but in real life, too. Witness the fact that every survey tells us that older women have better, more satisfying sex than their daughters; have more disposable income; are freer; laugh more; have nicer possessions and are better dressed.

What has worked isn’t necessarily increasing politicisation, or the fact that many of these women are the right age to have been at the vanguard of the feminist movement. It is age. Specifically, it is the thrilling combination of age and health – and, as Nora Ephron once said, the life-changing power of hair dye.

Which leads neatly to the often derided, but in my view genuinely life-changing, advances in health, cosmetics and cosmetic procedures. It is fashionable to mock all three as being of interest only to the super-vain, as though it had been decreed that you can’t have intelligent opinions unless you’re the kind of person who embraces crepy skin and facial hair. This is the nastiest, most demented kind of woman-hating nonsense, usually spouted by women who might know better if they made an attempt at living in the real world, rather than speculating about it from the loneliness of the ivory tower.

It is an intractable fact that how we look is intensely tied up with how we feel and that advances over the past 20 years or so mean that we now have the opportunity to defy age and, with it, to defy all the clichés concerning age-appropriate behaviour and pastimes. To me, the fact that a 55-year-old woman doesn’t have to have a turkey neck or great big jowls if she doesn’t want them is as revolutionary as, for example, being paid properly for maternity leave. It really matters.

I was brought up abroad and old Europe has been rather ahead of the game when it comes to all of this. There may have been no shortage of young married women waddling around in black tents, as though in perpetual mourning for their youth (a fact that always strikes me when British or American women howl with outrage about burqas. Have they never been to rural Greece? Italy? Spain? At least you often get a bit of designer bling under the burqa; the last person I saw take hers off was wearing Cavalli. In the Med, all that lurks under the figure-denying black cotton are giant control pants), but there were also a couple of dazzling exemplars of feisty, gorgeous, self-affirming “older women”, namely Catherine Deneuve in France and Sophia Loren in Italy.

These were women who didn’t take age or maltreatment lying down and were not gladdened – as so many British women seem to be – by the prospect of age-related invisibility and the loss of power that went with it. They wanted to be enlarged by their decades’ experience, not reduced by it. They wore their beauty triumphantly – they still do. They were spellbindingly beautiful, past 60 and past caring about what anybody thought. They were, and remain, feminist exemplars.

Now, at long last, we have one too. Look and learn.

Age cannot wither them

STILL LOOKING GOOD

Sophia Loren, 73 (September 20, 1934)
Jane Fonda, 70 (December 21, 1937)
Julie Christie, 67 (April 14, 1941)
Catherine Deneuve, 64 (October 22, 1943)
Dolly Parton, 62 (January 19, 1946)
Helen Mirren, 62 (July 26, 1945)
Goldie Hawn, 62 (November 21, 1945)
Glenn Close, 61 (March 19, 1947)
Meryl Streep, 59 (June 22, 1949)

... AND NOT SO GOOD

Brigitte Bardot, 73 (September 28, 1934)
Glenda Jackson, 72 (May 9, 1936)

... AND STILL YOUNGSTERS

Michelle Pfeiffer, 50 (April 29, 1958)
Madonna, 49 (August 16, 1958)

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...icle4362925.ece

* India Knight is a regular Sunday Times columnist and also co-author of the British low carb diet book: Neris and India's Idiot-proof Diet
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 07:17

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Mirren is gorgeous
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 21:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hey look at Tina Turner, my mentor. Ain't no body hotter.
http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/T...-Love--54863703
I plan to be this hot at 102 or how ever old she is. I looked it up...she will be 69 in November. It makes me think that truning 52 is no big freakin' deal.

A lMO if you are as old as you look, I must be 17 with all these zits on my face.

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Jul-22-08 at 21:48.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 15:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I guess that means for those of us who've taken care of our bodies only sporadically or only later in life, without the benefit of personal trainers, personal chefs, and rejuvenating surgeries, we should get used to being relegated to the categories of "lecherous old geezers" or "hags." What, me bitter?