Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 12:08

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
My Elliott who is a 8 year old Seal Point Siamese has hyperesthesia. We treat it with a depo shot from the vet every 6-7 months and it helps. I do not like the idea of steroid, but we try not to do it too often.

Thanks so much for your response. I'd really like to hear more about your cat's experience. When did it appear. Did it gradually worsen? Have you tried any other therapies besides the steriods?

My guy is a little over a year old and has really bad bouts for about a week after any trip to the vet, but then he seems fine. I can't help wondering what to expect in the coming years and months.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 13:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well... I finally looked it up and what do you know... Indy used to have that! http://www.lclarkecushingvmd.com/sh...D=178&Private=0 He's a siamese. He doesn't display any of that behavior now. I think it was the change of diet that helped him.

Quote:
Hyperesthesia syndrome, sometimes referred to as self-mutilation syndrome, rolling skin syndrome, twitchy cat disease or atypical neurodermatitis, is a problem in cats that can cause twitching of the skin, vocalizing, excessive grooming, sudden jerking, running around as if being chased, a dislike of being touched and tail swishing. Affected cats can also self mutilate, which can cause hair loss or severe skin irritation or injury, as part of this disorder. Siamese, Burmese, Himalayans and Abyssinians are the most commonly affected breeds. Hyperesthesia syndrome should be distinguished from the normal, playfully "crazy" behavior displayed by most domestic cats. Hyperesthetic cats will appear to be in distress; normal cats will not.

There may be numerous underlying physical disease processes that stimulate the hyperesthetic response in cats. It is also possible that in some cases purely behavioral problems underlie the syndrome. Some veterinarians have speculated that an underlying disorder gives affected cats sensations much like those that people get when their legs fall asleep (paresthesia). Others believe that the syndrome may be triggered by itchiness that may be caused by a variety of disorders including allergy to certain foods, fleabite sensitivity, bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections, among other diseases. Scratching can lead to an "itch-scratch"cycle, which contributes additional stimulation to persistently provoke the response. Tumors of the brain and nervous system, metabolic disorders like diabetes and hormonal disturbances are potential contributors to hyperesthesia syndrome as well.

It went away on the raw diet. He still itches a fair amount during flea season but nothing like his rolling twitching skin used to be.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 14:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well... I finally looked it up and what do you know... Indy used to have that! http://www.lclarkecushingvmd.com/sh...D=178&Private=0 He's a siamese. He doesn't display any of that behavior now. I think it was the change of diet that helped him.

It went away on the raw diet. He still itches a fair amount during flea season but nothing like his rolling twitching skin used to be.

Was it mostly the itchy, twitchy skin? Caesar has that, but he also hides for days at a time. He gets really panicky and runs behind a chair or the washing machine. He hides for hours then suddenly emerges, runs around in a panic, then hides some more. This goes on literally for days and days. It is really hard to watch , especially since he is a very affectionate, lovable boy most of the time. The "self-mutilation" part really worries me, because at his worst he slaps himself with his tail over and over then attacks the tail. This all sounds funny, but it isn't.

I can readily see that an improved diet would address dry, itchy skin, but there is more going on here than just that.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 15:03
Experimenter

BF:

Don't discount the links between psychological behavior and diet though. There is a suspected link between schizophrenia and humans and celiac disease, so I would expect that any sort of food intolerance can have a mental effect.

If you're dead set against a raw diet, how about trying a cooked home made diet? At least then you could see if changing the ingredients you use makes a difference.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 15:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Don't discount the links between psychological behavior and diet though. There is a suspected link between schizophrenia and humans and celiac disease, so I would expect that any sort of food intolerance can have a mental effect.

If you're dead set against a raw diet, how about trying a cooked home made diet? At least then you could see if changing the ingredients you use makes a difference.

It's not that I am set against the raw food diet, but when I was reading about BARF years ago, both pro and con, I saw a few horror stories about cats on raw food diets suffering terribly from parasites and deficiencies. Sort of like reading the back and forth between Atkins dieters and vegans. Both sides claim authority--both sides are adamant in their beliefs.

I picked up a frozen chub of Countrypets for Cats last weekend. It is from New Zealand and contains no grains. I think it's raw (but I could be mistaken about that). I plan to thaw it and begin giving it to Caesar later this week--I just wanted to be sure that he didn't have any lingering issues from his last vet visit before starting. I want there to be as few variables as possible to be considered if he starts vomiting. (Some cats do react badly to the raw foods, at least at first.)
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 16:16
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think it is raw, but good stuff. I've fed that to my cat too.