Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 02:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Angry Health warning to Atkins dieters as the heat goes on

This article was on the front page of The Times this morning in the UK. At first I laughed, then I got angry ... it seems they'll say anything to try and rubbish Atkins

Health warning to Atkins dieters as the heat goes on
By Sam Coates and Patrick Barkham, The Times

PEOPLE following the Atkins diet during the current heatwave could be endangering their health, a leading dietician claimed yesterday.
As temperatures in Central London reached 35.7C (96F) a record, nutritionists advised slimmers to come off Atkins and other high-protein diets or risk collapsing.

In June, two American medical studies ruled that the Atkins diet, which bans bread, fruit and potatoes in favour of meat, fish and cheese, was nutritionally safe, prompting a surge in the number of followers.

But yesterday a leading member of the British Nutrition Foundation told The Times that they were concerned that the hot weather could exacerbate the negative effects of the diet.

High-protein foods are harder to digest than carbohydrates, meaning that the body has to expend energy which otherwise would be used for keeping cool.

Dr Sarah Schenker, a dietician and spokesman for the foundation, said: “We have respiratory quotas on food, so when a carbohydrate or protein or fat is being metabolised it generates its own heat.

“The body has to work harder to metabolise protein than other food types. This means that on a really hot day, people on the protein-based diet who are facing, say, the Underground could have problems. My advice would be avoid the Atkins diet in hot weather.”

Nutritionists estimate that around 10 per cent of the body’s energy is needed to break down food.

The Atkins diet, devised by Dr Robert Atkins more than 30 years ago, has inspired millions of women worldwide to rise up against the temptation of carbohydrates in favour of a juicy steak with a side order of spinach or rocket.

It recently came back into fashion after a number of celebrity endorsements, including Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, Renee Zellweger and Robbie Williams.

Dr Atkins's book, New Diet Revolution is at No 2 on the bestseller list and is outselling everything but Harry Potter by three to one. Nearly 15 million dieters already own copies of his earlier volumes. The diet warning came as Britain recorded its hottest day for 13 years with Gravesend in Kent recording the day’s high of 36.4C (97.5F). Predictions that the 100F (37.8C) barrier would be broken proved wide of the mark — much to the relief of bookmakers who had taken huge numbers of bets that that record would be broken.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/articl...-770118,00.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 02:46

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

it seems every day theres a least one uk newspaper thats reporting negative comments about atkins.its starting to get on my nerves!
however, they,ll all have "egg on their faces"when we all prove how safe and effective this woe is.

christine
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:12

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down Lets Slate Atkins, yet again

Thanks for this Demi. I'll be seeing my copy of the Times later today.

What a load of twaddle. The basic fact about the energy needed to digest the food is, I am sure correct. What they should be advising, and this is advice to the whole of the UK population in this weather, is to make sure you drink enough fluids, particularly water. It is the dehydration from lack of water which will cause more harm and if you don't have enough fluids then it will make the digestion of protein even more difficult.

I'm glad to say I'm coping with the heat a lot better than I usually do and whilst weight loss may be a factor, I think the biggest factor is my fitness level and being used to really getting my heartrate up when I exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
My Dad warned me about the article. I have yet to read it but I will.
Anne - Twaddle is right!
There should be a warning on the front page - For everyone to drink plenty of water.

Hey, they use to think the world was flat too.lol

Jenny
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:34

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Are they taking into account all the extra water Atkins folks drink? Sounds like rubbish to me.

This was discussed on CNN this morning, and apparently the morning weatherman is on Atkins. He sounded a little guilty about it when the anchor started egging him on about it, but it looks like he's lost a lot of weight. Hmmph.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 216/000/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 284%

If we all followed the warning, us folks from the south USA couldn't do Atkins for half the year or more... Pretty ridiculous!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 06:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

What a load of crap. Gee, the Masai and other primarily hunter tribes of Africa must be dropping like flies!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:26
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
High-protein foods are harder to digest than carbohydrates, meaning that the body has to expend energy which otherwise would be used for keeping cool.

While "expending energy" to keep cool works well in a fridge, the body's cooling mechanism is largely passive. A mild rise in heart-rate and respiration is the most I'd expect except in cases of severe outdoor professional athletic exercise, and if you are a pro athlete, the Atkins diet is not necessary for you.

109 degrees F officially here in Dallas yesterday. I took the radical step of increasing my water intake and decreasing the beer. Still, I'm down 2 lbs this week so far.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:42
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

We had a heat wave a couple of weeks ago and the temperature stayed over 100 degrees F for about a week and a half. I did not melt.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 236/219/165 Male 5'9
BF:Unknown, sorry
Progress: 24%

Quote:
The Atkins diet, devised by Dr Robert Atkins more than 30 years ago, has inspired millions of women worldwide to rise up against the temptation of carbohydrates in favour of a juicy steak with a side order of spinach or rocket.

Sorry for the OT question, but I gotta know.

What the heck is "rocket?"
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:56
Registered Member

BF:

It is Arugula.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:19

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Post What is Rocket?

gotbear - if someone asks you a question and means it, you should be polite. I found you reply a little arrogant and aggressive. And I don't want to start a war with you either! lol

Faust

I didn't know what the hell it was either until I moved to England!! It is used in salads etc. I mix it with lettuce and prawns - beautiful. It's also like spinach. hope this helps.

Rocket is a small low growing plant which can be grown as little as 4" apart and can be fitted in anywhere and is very easy to grow.

It is a member of the Brassica family and produces white flowers quickly followed by long seed pods. The flowerbuds are edible.

There are different types of Rocket. While store-bought Rocket is very good home-grown is superior in taste and texture - you can fold the leaves of home-grown rocket like stiff paper (it's quite crunchy).

Rocket is grown for its leaves which have a peppery flavour and are most commonly used in salads and sadly less frequently cooked.

Cooking and using Rocket Using from frozen - can just crush the bag with your hands to break it up and in cooking as you would Spinach - in omelettes, sauces etc.. use fresh in salads, sandwiches, garnishes
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:50
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry - I only had time for a quick reply. (You sure read a lot into 3 words! My first response, BTW, simply "Arugula", was rejected as too short a Quick Reply by the forum software.)

Curtness does not necessarily imply arrogance. I assumed "Faust" was a guy asking a question - a tough (embarrassing) thing for guys, generally. Notice how he phrased the question - as if frustrated ("What the heck...") and apologetic for having to ask ("Sorry for the OT question...") I gave him a quick, informational reply as if it were no big deal (with no "relationship building" - ugh).

Had a woman asked the question, I would have been much more chatty and charming, as that is a more appropriate style of communication with the fairer sex:

'Arugula (rocket) is a dark green, leafy plant with a tart, piquant, peppery flavor that varies in strength. It often shows up in salads called "field greens". The leaves have a shape like stacked hourglasses. '

Better?

BTW, I freely admit to my own arrogance. If you would prefer that I be more wimpy, I'll try to remember that, but you know what? Being a nice guy never got me a date!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:09
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/148 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

gotbeer - I have to say, I enjoyed your last post!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:27
Registered Member

BF:

To Karolak - Why, my pleasure, dear.

Reflecting on gender-based communication style differences usually incites both the laughter of recognition and the outrage from those with gender agendas.

Bring'em on!