Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 02:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default There's always a b....y BUT ! !

At last 2lbs down. I was delighted...then I went downstairs and decided to check my fasting blood sugar. I should tell you that I purchased a blood sugar metre some time ago because I was experiencing shakiness if I ate refined carbs and I wanted to check on rebound hypoglycaemia. As it turned out I didn't have any attacks, but I was already starting to cut out the baddies anyway. A N Y W A Y. My fasting blood sugar is 6.1. I am not very pleased with that. It is now even more important that I lose this weight as in U.K. that is a pre diabetic number. No wonder I don't feel hungry in the morning.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 03:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your blood sugar may come down even before you lose much weight. Did you see the Truth about Carbs on BBC? Ignore what he said about freezing whole grain bread to make resistant starch but the last 15 minutes with Dr Unwin was very good.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480472

The plan he advises is at: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/201...its-in-the-bmj/

And at DD: https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 03:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I did see the programme. It seems to me that the powers that be are still very resistant to change, but they are trying to make some silly little changes. What is puzzling to me is that my morning blood sugars have never been in this range before. Where on earth is my body getting all this sugar to dump ? I would have thought that by now my glycogen stores would be gone. Heigh Ho.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 04:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 03:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
At last 2lbs down. I was delighted...then I went downstairs and decided to check my fasting blood sugar. I should tell you that I purchased a blood sugar metre some time ago because I was experiencing shakiness if I ate refined carbs and I wanted to check on rebound hypoglycaemia. As it turned out I didn't have any attacks, but I was already starting to cut out the baddies anyway. A N Y W A Y. My fasting blood sugar is 6.1. I am not very pleased with that. It is now even more important that I lose this weight as in U.K. that is a pre diabetic number. No wonder I don't feel hungry in the morning.

Interesting. I get serious faint attacks in the mornings since Atkins. I have to move slowly in the mornings rather than my usual speedy self. I sometimes need to sit down before leaving the house. I have put it down to dehydration and too much warmth despite it being winter. (And there's no heater in the mornings). I've never had this before. I don't eat breakfast but thats not unusual. The only thing significantly different is that I dont have cows milk in my tea. Instead I have almond milk and most often just green tea. I dont get it. I think its low blood sugar but I cant figure out why. Like you, I dont feel hungry in the morning until I get to work when I have an Almond milk latte and all is good for an hour or so. I noticed the other day that when I had a chicken leg in desperation because it was the only protein thing available, I immediately felt better and I mean with the first bite or so. I just can't face chicken legs at 10 or 11 in the morning.. But its a lesson for me. Maybe a helpful comment for you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 07:33
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Good article

Yeah, I have a strong "Dawn Phenomenon" so I don't fret unless it's getting near 120 mg/dl. Yesterday was 98 so may be improving with more protein and fat consumption or my new BP med suppressing adrenaline? I get a blood test every 6 mo, last it was 116 and my A1c was up some. Due for another test soon.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/learn...awn-phenomenon/

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Jun-13-18 at 07:50.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 02:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Occasionally I wake up and feel light-headed, I think it is a combination of being dehydrated and not having had enough salt. So I fix it with a cup of broth or eggs with extra salt on them.

Over a few years of IF and not eating before lunch or OMAD, I found my Hba1c went up, reflecting a longer time in the day with higher glucose. You can move the eating window to earlier in the day, or eat something...one hard boiled egg is an easy portable breakfast. At least for me, it appears the Adaptive Glucose Sparing stops when I eat something coming down to a normal PP reading.

Virta also had an article on DP...don’t wait too long for breakfast is one solution. https://blog.virtahealth.com/dawn-phenomenon/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-14-18 at 02:50.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 20:32
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Yeah, I found a small protein snack like coffee and almonds or maybe MCT oil? early on helps when doing IF or FBG keeps creeping up till about 11 am
Not sure that's a concern though except to your lab reports. When I go in for a fasting blood draw and go mid morning FBG is higher than normal for me.