Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 05:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%
Default My lost weekend turned into 10 years. :(

Man oh man, I have to do something.

I started low carbing in 2004 and kept my excess weight off for 4 + years. (almost 5) In all that time I never put one BITE of anything forbidden into my mouth. I went to weddings, dined in restaurants, all kinds of situations and never was seriously tempted but one day at the office, I did something I knew I shouldn't do...I wanted to eat just ONE piece of Key Lime Pie. I figured I could just eat the one piece and go back to low carbing but it didn't work like that. I have an addictive personality and immediately the rationalization started; "you already had one...might as well have two" or "it's time to hit the snack machine, you can start back up tomorrow.." and on and on.

I've tried to start low carbing again but every time I fold up after a week or two. I just can't sustain it.

It's now to the point that if I don't do it and keep doing it, I'll probably become diabetic and hit over 300 lbs soon.

Why is it so hard?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 06:01
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Howdy, rpavich!

Why is it so hard?

1) B/c the foods that are not good for us taste so freaking GOOD... did you know they are engineered that way on purpose??

2) B/c we're carb addicts...

There are many more reasons, but I'll stop at two...

Wishing you much success on your journey! You can DO THIS, you've done it BEFORE!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Howdy, rpavich!

Why is it so hard?

1) B/c the foods that are not good for us taste so freaking GOOD... did you know they are engineered that way on purpose??

2) B/c we're carb addicts...

There are many more reasons, but I'll stop at two...

Wishing you much success on your journey! You can DO THIS, you've done it BEFORE!

Haha...#1 oh yeah. (and #2 for that matter)

One thing I think I'll have to do is to start exercising even a little bit. I have a desk job and get almost no movement during my day.

thanks for the encouragement!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 08:05

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
Why is it so hard?

It takes time, practice and patience to change the way one reacts to the way one thinks. Thinking comes first.

Food doesn't get one into trouble, the way the mind works does.

Take or leave all or none of my opinion. I do wish you the best! You've been helpful on this board before. You can help others again
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
It takes time, practice and patience to change the way one reacts to the way one thinks. Thinking comes first.

Food doesn't get one into trouble, the way the mind works does.

Take or leave all or none of my opinion. I do wish you the best! You've been helpful on this board before. You can help others again

Thanks!

I do agree...it's my mind that does it. I just can't deal with "grey zones" things are either black or white for me..I have to know when I'm crossing a line
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 08:23

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Life is in full color. Learning to see the entire spectrum with an open mind is possible.

You will do well.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 13:34

Stats: 226/221/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Take it one step at a time. Whether it is cutting out sweets or finding alternatives. Write down what you are eating and whether you are truly hungry when you are eating.

Try one day of doing Atkins/Low Carb. cook some of your favorites food/meals from when you started in 2004.

A bit of advice, I have a sweet tooth like nobody's business, but I tell myself the cake & cookies. etc. will always be there. I intentionally use the door at the grocery store that does not have all those cupcakes and other tempting foods staring at you when you go in.

Good Luck with your journey.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Life is in full color. Learning to see the entire spectrum with an open mind is possible.

You will do well.

I already know that that's not possible for me when it comes to certain things.

I need well defined fences or I stray.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisysun
Take it one step at a time. Whether it is cutting out sweets or finding alternatives. Write down what you are eating and whether you are truly hungry when you are eating.

Try one day of doing Atkins/Low Carb. cook some of your favorites food/meals from when you started in 2004.

A bit of advice, I have a sweet tooth like nobody's business, but I tell myself the cake & cookies. etc. will always be there. I intentionally use the door at the grocery store that does not have all those cupcakes and other tempting foods staring at you when you go in.

Good Luck with your journey.

Thanks!
I know if I get going, I won't have a craving but for now...I need all the tips and tricks I can get
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 14:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

As you mentioned black and white works best for you, have a look at the atkins rules posted . IF they are still too vague, one of his books had a definite list of vegies that might give you a concrete limit.

If you like, you can weigh out a set portion of meat that works for you. Say 8 oz of beef or chicken per meal. or 4 eggs ( or 6).

Make a plan you can live with. And comit to.

On this forum is a 90 change your habits challenge. Maybe there is one thing or two that needs extra attention. I gave up traditional pizza by limiting pizza to 3 times and not more than 2 slices in a 90 day span. Progress not perfection.

I weigh in everyday. It keeps eating on plan my daily goal. THe actual daily number is not important, rather it is the weekly average. THAT is my number to work on.

Maybe define what sends you off the tracks, and make addressing that a priority.

JUST DONT QUIT. Due to circumstances I have gained a lot of weight--it happens. Just dont quit. Keep ironing out each hic up that derails you. You CAN do this!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
As you mentioned black and white works best for you, have a look at the atkins rules posted . IF they are still too vague, one of his books had a definite list of vegies that might give you a concrete limit.

If you like, you can weigh out a set portion of meat that works for you. Say 8 oz of beef or chicken per meal. or 4 eggs ( or 6).

Make a plan you can live with. And comit to.

On this forum is a 90 change your habits challenge. Maybe there is one thing or two that needs extra attention. I gave up traditional pizza by limiting pizza to 3 times and not more than 2 slices in a 90 day span. Progress not perfection.

I weigh in everyday. It keeps eating on plan my daily goal. THe actual daily number is not important, rather it is the weekly average. THAT is my number to work on.

Maybe define what sends you off the tracks, and make addressing that a priority.

JUST DONT QUIT. Due to circumstances I have gained a lot of weight--it happens. Just dont quit. Keep ironing out each hic up that derails you. You CAN do this!

The atkins rules are fine.

I need to get back into the groove and remember that I can't "have just one" of anything forbidden, that's all.

Thanks for the encouragement, I believe that I can get back on the wagon now...I've hit my limit.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 18:54

Stats: 223/247/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: -38%

Hi, I did the Atkins diet many moons ago and was pretty successful with doing it, but can't seem to sustain it anymore either. Maybe I will try again, maybe it will work!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 19:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

What do you want more--this is what motivated me to change to my eating. I had just read DANDR and wow that started my new journey. I knew by his information that I was on my way to diabetes!! My eating must change NOW. I want good health more than sweets and carbs. Again, what do YOU want more?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
What do you want more--this is what motivated me to change to my eating. I had just read DANDR and wow that started my new journey. I knew by his information that I was on my way to diabetes!! My eating must change NOW. I want good health more than sweets and carbs. Again, what do YOU want more?

Hahaha...I wish it were that easy! If it were, we'd have no big people.

Having said that, this time seems to be a time when I can stick to it again...I've hit my limit and I am ready (mentally) for change.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it very much.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 13:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 287/280/200 Female 5'8inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Oh my gosh, I think I’ve found my twin! I too fell off the wagon at least 8 years ago after being pretty successful. I cannot get focused enough or have the willpower to keep on it.
I too am an all or nothing kind of girl and need to get my head in the game first then hopefully the rest will follow.
Good luck to you and I’ll try and climb back on that wagon instead of it running me over. Lol