Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 23:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Hiya...I was on low carb for 2 weeks but no weight loss, so after some guidance from this board I went back on induction. Still nothing. I am at a loss as to what I can do. I think, (only think really), I am experiencing fewer calls to eat than I was and I am drinking 8-9 large cups of water a day. Clothes still tight.
What on earth can I do, I am nonplussed. Do I keep in going or perhaps try something else. There is a limit as to how much effort I can make with no returns. Here is my plan...every day!

bkfst...25grams cheese
lunch...2 egg omelette, 25grams cheese,
green salad 1 tblspn mayo
dinner...100 grams meat or fish green veg 1 tblspn butter
snack...boiled egg 1 tblspn mayo or butter.

You know what they say about doing the same thing but expecting something different. What is going on.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 03:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

In my desperation I have just had a cup of coffee with 15mls of cream in it. I suppose I've really blown it now.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 04:25

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Leicester. I don't know if this will help, but I will try. I am one of those who is sensitive to processed foods, chemicals, preservatives, and additives. Also, there are many naturally-occurring chemicals in foods which I react to, such as the goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables.

Dr. Georgia Edes has some good introductory information at http://www.diagnosisdiet.com .

I have to eat grass-fed, organic cream, butter, and meat. The milk protein (casein) in cheese causes me troubles, and I gain weight on cheese.

Caffeine stimulates excess insulin production in some people, -- I am one of those.

The eggs I eat are soy-free and organic.

Also, many people are very sensitive to chemicals in the air, in water, in fabrics, furniture, walls, etc. All fragrances which do not come from plants are made from chemicals. Many people have metabolic disturbances and/or damage from those chemicals.

Several doctors have written books about this.

Dr. Theron G. Randolph
Dr. Richard Mackarness
Dr. H. L. Newbold
Dr. Doris Rapp

to name a few.

If you can switch to the purest food sources possible, and use cream or butter rather than cheese, it might make a difference.

I avoid all fragrances in cleaning and laundry supplies, and in toiletries. Artificial fragrances disrupt the endocrine system.

I hope this helps some.

I am sending you good thoughts.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 04:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Organic butter eggs and cream as I don't like anything artificial anyway. However I have never been food sensitive and although I will continue to find organic alternatives I personally can't subscribe to forcing myself into a corner in order to lose some weight as I have read in many places that low carbing can't fail to help you lose weight. I think at the moment it is failing me and I would like an explanation and I am hoping to get this support from this forum. Thankyou so much for taking the time to post your reply, I very much appreciate it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 05:05

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

What liquids are you taking in? The coffee shouldn’t be a problem. Your eating appears to be spot on. That’s got to be frustrating. Don’t give up. Lots of support and info here on this forum. I’ll bet we can help you figure it out.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 05:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Mainly hot water, occasional black tea and coffee. The reason I thought I had blown it was because someone suggested my original plan had too much cream. I actually prefer to eat the cream but changed it to cheese on this suggestion. I wasn't having more cream than was allowed, it was just a possibility that the cream may be too much.
Thanks so much I hope I can have some more help as I am pretty downhearted.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 05:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I have just been reading a post about calorie counting as well as low carbing and at a quick glance I am eating about 1000 cals a day.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Organic butter eggs and cream as I don't like anything artificial anyway. However I have never been food sensitive and although I will continue to find organic alternatives I personally can't subscribe to forcing myself into a corner in order to lose some weight as I have read in many places that low carbing can't fail to help you lose weight. I think at the moment it is failing me and I would like an explanation and I am hoping to get this support from this forum. Thankyou so much for taking the time to post your reply, I very much appreciate it.

You could try eating your meals in a more compressed time period so that you go 16 hours from dinner to when you eat your first meal of the day. That is borrowing from intermittent fasting. I have read posts online from people who pair low carb with intermittent fasting who think it is a good combination.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/221/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

leicester, can you give us a list of the foods you are eating?

Example: 2 eggs, 1/2 cup kale, etc.

Last time I was on induction, cheese slowed me down, now I have cheese a few times a week 2-3 and eat vegetables with every meal.

Are you eating enough vegetables?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 07:52

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Make sure that you are using Real Cream in your coffee and not those little packets or flavored Coffeemate because they're not real and full of sugar and carbs.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Plenty of green veg, no constipation, here is the list of food I have been eating every day.

Bkfst..25grms cheese
lunch...2 eggs 25 grms cheese green salad, tblspn mayo
dinner 100grms meat or fish green veg
snack 1 egg with butter or mayo.
About 1000calories I reckon. I am not unduly hungry, nor tired. I feel just the same as always.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/221/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Are you only having cheese for breakfast? Instead of cheese for breakfast, have protein...meat or eggs or both & vegetables. You did not list meat for breakfast or lunch.

Coffee or tea should be decaf, cream should be full fat... almond or soy milk, light or heavy cream.

Skip the cheese for a few days to see if that helps. Focus on carbs instead of calories. Before Atkins, I was trying to stick with 1,200 calories to lose weight, but I was always hungry and craved sweets like crazy. Just in the first week of induction, I have to force myself to eat dinner, I am full physically & mentally. My cravings for sweets has diminished by 90%...which is a miracle.

Look through the "What did you eat for breakfast or lunch" threads to get an idea of what others are eating for meals.

I wish you luck finding an answer.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for replying. I think cheese contains a fair amount of protein, I don't eat a lot of meat and I only have natural organic products if I can. I am not really focusing on calories it's carbs I am focussing on but as an aside I thought I would check the calories. I am not hungry, not am I craving anything. I feel well. I am at a loss. Everyone is being so kind offering suggestions, but I still feel nonplussed I'm afraid.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-23-18, 00:30
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
In my desperation I have just had a cup of coffee with 15mls of cream in it. I suppose I've really blown it now.
The problem with 'cream' as I see it is the thickener carrageen or "whipping cream" with an higher carb count -- since I switched to Half 'n Half, I feel much better.

Now, I have noticed some groceries have even added carrageen to their store brand 'Half 'n Half' as well

Looking at your menu I don't think you are eating enough -- sounds ironic I know.
Try to increase your fats, protein and calories and cut out dairy, cheese or nuts at first.
Chicken quarters are good, with the skin on. Even 3-a-day would not be out of line in my opinion along with point-cut-brisket, bacon or other fatty meats. Four chicken drumsticks is all the protein and fat needed for a whole day as an example.

When I was on "induction" I ate tremendous amounts [my journal] I recall often two chicken quarters every meal along with lots of rabbit food I no longer need to eat.

NOTE: The FAT cells we are born with, like muscle cells never go away, but under some conditions like changes in diet/exercise they CAN store water. The takeaway here is don't believe the scale -- only the mirror
It's also common to loose FAT and gain MUSCLE at the same time. Happened to me after my extended fast. My shoulders got really sore, arms felt like lead and now I actually have delts!

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, May-23-18 at 00:56.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-23-18, 22:57
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think low-carb without calorie restriction will only get you to what your body thinks is a good weight. If you want to push it, you will need to count calories. However - you seem to not be eating enough, as someone else mentioned. Your body might be in "starvation mode", where it will lose weight very slowly if at all. Not a good place to be. Hope you increase your food and it works for you! Low-carb doesn't work for everyone, just most.