Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Non-specific
Stats: 234/145/120 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Fat bomb question

I've been planning on making fat bombs as a treat, but I need something that can sit out at room temperature so I can easily grab one if I get hungry. All of the recipes I see say to keep them in the fridge so they don't melt, but at the same time their main ingredient is coconut oil, which I avoid using because it's always rock solid??

So, what gives? I can see how adding almond butter to it would make it softer, but to the point that it would completely melt at room temperature? Especially with cocoa powder and maybe coconut flour mixed in? This doesn't seem right. Do the other ingredients affect the melting point or something?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 17:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

You're right - the melting temp of coconut oil is basically warm room temp. Mine is solid over the winter, rather soft in late spring/early fall, and pretty much liquid over the summer.

I find the fat bombs melt in your fingers very quickly, even when chilled. Are you talking about trying to bring them to work or camping or something - no refrigeration? If you're at home, they're really better in the fridge or freezer.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 20:37
Registered Member

BF:

That wasn't quite what I was getting at actually. I know that people say fat bombs melt at room temperature, but I have never, ever seen coconut oil liquid at room temperature, which is completely confusing me. What makes fat bombs melt at room temperature when coconut oil doesn't, it doesn't make sense?

I would eat them at home, but my fatigue is so severe that I can't just hop off the couch and pop open the fridge to get one whenever I'm hungry, if I did I'd exhaust myself. I was just hoping to keep a few fat bombs by the couch for snacks instead of 90% dark chocolate to cut a few more carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 22:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

It depends on your ambient house temperature. If I remember correctly coconut oil is liquid at about 74 or 76 degrees F. Other ingredients will change that, though it is hard to tell exactly how. Would you be able to keep your fat bombs in a cooler, with blue ice or something similar, to keep them in a solid state?
I got all excited about fat bombs when I first started on this journey, 5+ years ago. Recipe sounds similar to what you mentioned - cocoa, coconut oil, a few other things. I kept them in the freezer, and they were very satisfying and refreshing. And then I reached a point where they weren't interesting anymore.
Not long ago I was clearing out/rearranging my freezer and found the container of fat bombs. I was intrigued to find them, but in no way inclined to eat them. They are still there; I will throw them out at some point.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 04:02
Registered Member

BF:

That's almost exactly how hot it got in here today, and my coconut oil never even softened, let alone melted. I could probably misuse my insulated grocery bag to keep them cool until I can get a smaller container for them, thanks for the idea!

Yeah, that does sound pretty familiar! I'm actually dreading the extra cooking but who knows, if they're not too much work maybe I could have them for dessert! I have coconut milk with my suppers because they're so low fat right now but I bet a fat bomb or two would do the trick too.