Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 15:46
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

If it were a recipe, I'd post it, but I just put things in. If your Costco sells it already cut, like big strips of bacon, the IP handles that well. I think the slab pork belly is cooked in the oven for a while with the skin side scored and salted, then removed from the meat portion and cooked alone until crispy.

The spices I use when I cook mine:
I use grated ginger from a jar, powdered 5 spice, whole star anise, garlic powder, combo chix stock and aminos for the liquid. If you tolerate soy sauce, that's probably cheaper. I season the liquid to taste before cooking.

You can also sweeten it if you like. Unlike many people, I use AS. I've been eating LC since 1972 and artificial sweeteners have never bothered me, except aspartame.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 200/138/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 103%

Ah, a woman after my own heart! DH is always telling me, "Write that one down!" when I serve him something he particularly likes.

The Costco here has the whole pork belly. I can cut it down into strips if that's what you're cooking up. Do you then crispy it in the oven after it's tender throughout?

Artificial sweeteners don't bother me either, except I try to avoid aspartame and the ones that cause me gastric distress, like maltitol. And not really classified as a sweetener per se, I cannot do polydextrose in ANY quantity or it renders me unfit for human companionship, and the cats are not that amused either!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 16:09
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

The strips don't come with the fat cap and I don't feel the need for it, either. What I'd do is remove the fat cap, then cut the meat into chunks for the IP. You can score, salt and roast the fat to crispy goodness. I wouldn't cook it in the liquid, as that would probably render it yucky. (technical term)

I use a variety of types of AS, but my favorite is cyclamates, which I order from Canada. The USA is one of the few countries where you can't buy them. The brand name is Sugar Twin, but not at all like the one in the USA. Packaging even looks the same.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 17:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I love my IP, though I haven't used it in about a month. In the fall, I cooked enough food to feed the army and I'm trying to use it up before the end of chili/soup season.

I wasn't too thrilled with the hard-cooked eggs, but I only tried them once, so I'll give it another go some time. Some of them were barely cooked, and some of them had the grey ring around the yolk. I think my little egg cooker does a better job and it might be more efficient. I have an electricity meter, so I should compare them sometime.

I'd say my favorite IP dishes are beef dishes using the least expensive cuts. Beef is expensive here, but I can't believe how tender and delicious beef round roasts and beef stew come out, in very little time. I've also done plain cooked meat like chicken breasts and ground beef, just for the purpose of being able to cook quick meals during the week. I do bone broths, too, of course.

My next project is to try it as a yogurt maker.

Charski, I love the ABTs in your userpic. I made those a while back and they were awesome. I have some jalapeno seedlings that just germinated.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 18:09

Plan: lower fat, no gluten
Stats: 135/132/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I use my IP several times a week. There are numerous good cookbooks out there for IP, but two I love are by Urvashi Pitre: The Keto Instant Pot and The Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. And, no, I have no association to Ms. Pitre or any book seller.

These recipes are well-tested, easy, and delicious. There are some special ingredients for the Indian dishes, but easily available online if you're not in a city with an Indian grocery. Not ALL recipes are low carb in the Indian book, but you can ignore those that cannot be de-carbed and some of the others are easily made low carb.

Hope this helps someone get more use from their IP.

Ginny in SC
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 18:53

Plan: south beach
Stats: 224/168/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I read a recipe today for crisp IP veggies and it was great. I did a huge head of broccoli. Put my lotus steam basket on top of the trivet, one cup water and the broccoli. Set it at high pressure for 0 minutes (just to come to pressure) and the QR. Absolutely perfect, crisp tender and dark green. I'm in love!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: WW/Low(er)carb
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 0%

If you've never tried it, core a head of cabbage and cook it in the IP (water, trivet, cabbage cut core side down) for 6 minutes under manual high pressure and do a quick release.
Turns out perfectly steamed and still slightly crunchy in the center.
You can almost carve it like a turkey lol.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166.5/150.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Have done ribs, & cooked a roast.

I'd sure like to just make a cake in it, but don't have any pans to set in it.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 08:35

Plan: south beach
Stats: 224/168/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie
If you've never tried it, core a head of cabbage and cook it in the IP (water, trivet, cabbage cut core side down) for 6 minutes under manual high pressure and do a quick release.
Turns out perfectly steamed and still slightly crunchy in the center.
You can almost carve it like a turkey lol.

Dottie! I'll do that! I'm on a veggie kick!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 10:12

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Here's a thread in the same "kitchen talk" category.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471258
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-18, 07:54

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

^^the thread that thud posted is a great blast from the past!

I still use my ip's for bone broth, and i still use the phoenix helix bone broth recipe http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2015/03...broth-tutorial/
the only change i make is to use more vinegar--usually a couple of tbsp per liter of water. the bones go softer with more vinegar, so i'm assuming that means more minerals are going into the broth.

the instant pot website is pretty good anymore for looking up cooking times. when we first got our IP, the cooking information was pretty sparse, but it's better now. if i'm not sure how long to cook something, that's the first place i look now.

https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/

i especially like cooking things like wings/thighs in the instant pot and then putting them under the broiler to finish them off. sooo yummy and tender with perfect crispy skins.

it's been really handy having 2 of the instant pots.

when i was harvesting from the garden last year, i was constantly running both of them when i was putting up tomatoes or squash or chickens, etc.

i was putting tomatoes thru the IP for 30 minutes (cooking increases lycopene levels) and then running them thru the champion with the tomato plate (picky kids won't eat the skins/seeds) and then freezing them in 3cup blocks. i'm not currently eating tomatoes because they're too carby, but my family loves the homegrown so much compared to the grocery store tomatoes.