Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-14, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156.5/147.7/132 Female 171
BF:35%/32.8%/??
Progress: 36%

Thank you for the feedback Jaywood. To me it seems then that I need to make more of an effort to maintain conditions for the body to get in to Ketosis and stay there for the required 2 weeks of induction.

Do you suggest I cut out the greens/veg altogether then? I'm not taking any sugar, any fruit, or dairy - 'cept for the cream and cheeses.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 00:14

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

You don't have to abandon just reduce :-).

To get this started we need to keep are carbs lower than 30 (according to Atkins) my personal preference would be 15-20gm for the induction.

But when you do that you need to up the fats in your diet. Otherwise you will almost guaranteed get headaches and feel like cr*p.

So your omlett that you listed is fine. (but levee out the green bits of the spring onions) and make sure you are not using giant mushrooms . But that is a small meal, and if you feel hungry after then feed the hunger with a high fat treat.

Atkins also recommends no more than 30 mL of double cream during induction. So this means that you need other high fat snacks. My favourite is tesco value salami. (It is my crisp replacement !! ). High fat only 1.6 % carb.

I have never used MyFittnesPal but I might go have a look at it to see how it works. But it sounds good.

Overall you are fine but I think a little tweaking of your induction foods will help you out in the long run.

Did you manage to get ketone strips from the pharmacist?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 15:09
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep it in mind. It is a bit scary eating so much fat, but I haven't gone up from where I started so has to be right.

I feel I am doing better with the intermittent fasting in managing my calorie intake - particularly the carbs. Also, its less work for me thinking about what to eat all the time.

So, today, again, I did not feel hungry pretty much the whole day. We went out to the city centre today so I thought I'd get some grilled chicken but couldn't find any and ended up getting a chicken doner - meat only with sauce. Felt sick afterwards because I think I ate because I thought I should but perhaps I shouldn't have.

Had a whole cucumber with a slice of cheese and sprinkle of cayenne pepper around 10pm because I think I needs me some fiber.

Anyway, here are todays numbers, doing better you think?

Carbs: 16 Fat: 132 Protein: 56 (not sure how accurate the fats are though as I couldn't find the exact rating for what I had)

Last edited by AnneSchall : Sat, Apr-12-14 at 15:21.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 15:19
Registered Member

So, also, we don't have Ketone strips here. They have strips which will measure, protein, ketones, blood, sugar and something else (can't remember) - in no specific order. I'm not sure if these would work for the purpose or not.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 12:39

BF:

The increase in fat content in the diet is the part that we all suffer from. We have been force fed the rubbish that fat is bad and the demon of everything. IT IS NOT :-D.

Increasing in give you the way in to using your own body fat.

If you need finer, olives are great, and they have a good fat content (0.1gm carb / 100 gm).

Don't force eat, just eat. Even if they are only small meals. 5 small meals is good, just make sure there is a good balance to them.

The strips that measure protein ketones blood sugar, and the rest are fine. They normally cost slightly more (but to be honest I get them from the hospital) but they will do the job. Essentially if you have any trace of ketones you are good. If no ketones, you are not good and need to re adjust :-).
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-14, 10:19

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If you are doing daily HIIT, your protein looks low. That kind of exercise is glucose burning and if you're not eating carbs, most people eat protein to cover the glucose needs for that kind of exercise. The original Atkins books didn't say much about daily intense exercise and protein, so it's easy to miss.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 14:56
Registered Member

Today, when I had a lunch and a dinner;

Cals:1,339 Carbs:7g Fat:103g Protein:96g

I had a tablespoon of Coconut Oil (CO) in tea both after lunch and dinner. The one after lunch was really needed because my body was going all cold and got a headache. Managed to put chocolate back twice before giving tea + CO a try.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 14:58
Registered Member

Seejay - I haven't gotten around to starting with HIIT. Too much going on and realizing its just not going to happen.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 15:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneSchall
Today, when I had a lunch and a dinner;

Cals:1,339 Carbs:7g Fat:103g Protein:96g

I had a tablespoon of Coconut Oil (CO) in tea both after lunch and dinner. The one after lunch was really needed because my body was going all cold and got a headache. Managed to put chocolate back twice before giving tea + CO a try.

Well done, for not going for the chocolate

Those figures look a lot better, keep going that way.

But again I'm here palming off advice and suggestions; don't allow yourself to get that hungry, you are in induction, the weight loss comes in the months afterwards, so feed until you are settled. (this does not mean go out, kill cow, and eat cow LOL)