Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 15:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/243/200 Male 6' 00"
BF:39%/32%/25%
Progress: 38%
Exclamation Do you know what makes me angry?

It bothers me when I hear uninformed individuals make blanket negative statements about Atkins, without a single bit of research. I understand that it is human nature to resist change. At the least, however, they need to open their minds long enough to truly understand the approach before jumping on the soapbox.

I first became convinced that the Atkins Diet was the right approach when I read user reviews for Dr. Atkins's New Diet Revolution on Amazon.com. For every 10 reviews, a vast majority were overwhelmingly positive and contained information on the scientific principles backing Dr. Atkins's claims. Most negative claims came from 'Anonomous Reader(s)' who never read the book or understood what this diet is about.

After reading the book, it's very clear to me that the diet makes sense. Right now, it is working for me--and I have faith that it will continue to do so.

Enough about sabotage by individuals... Now, I'll tell you what I'm really angry about. I'm angry that this diet has gone relatively unnoticed until recently. How many individuals have died over these thirty years attempting low-fat yo-yo diet fads? Where has the medical community been? Where has morality been?

All I perceive is a room full of white-coat doctor$ scoffing at what may be the answer to hundreds of thousands of lives.

All I perceive is a room full of suits working for the grain industry and the $ugar industry thinking of ways to prevent Atkins from becoming a revolution.

All I perceive is non-profit group$ doing their best to protect their interests as well.

Damn right I should be angry. My father died of heart disease and stroke, my mother has diabetes. I am fortunate enough to say that I have found Atkins at age 25. This will save me, but what of the others that are so blind?

This isn't just a revolution, it's a wake-up call. Lives are at stake--including those of our children, and we must do everything we can to make sure that we are the voices of this revolution.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 16:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I understand your anger, JF3, but since most doctors have very little training in nutrition, they have to rely on what the "experts" have to say on the matter. Unfortuantely, the "experts" have been misled as badly as the rest of us and have a great deal of professional credibility on the line if they admit that they were wrong.
What truly makes me angry is those that refuse to change their thinking even in light of the failure of the low fat recommendations over the past 20+ years and the new studies showing that low carb is not the equivalent of dietary satanism, although you'd certainly think it was to listen to how some of the opponents of low carb go on about it.
The fact that those who make a living off high carb foods are scrambling to protect their interests doesn't really suprise me or even really anger me; I don't have to buy their products if I choose not to, but the fact that the scientific establishment would worry more about saving face than saving lives and continue to recommend that which is being shown to make people sicker instead of healthier makes me livid.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 17:19

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

I hear you JF3. I tell people that I'm on a low-carb plan and they say: OOOOHHHHHH honey, that's sooooo unhealthy! I come from a family that is overweight and I worry so much!

My dad's had 3 heart-attacks and is diabetic. My brother is on an aspriater at night because he quits breathing while he sleeps and he also is over weight. My sister is also overweight and I worry about her too. It pains me to know that this is out there and my family won't even give it a try....well, my brother did and lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks and then quit the plan. My mother, bless her soul, was overweight and died at a young age of 54.

So, I guess I'm the only one in my family that wants to do something about it and that makes me sad! So, I do understand it when you express your anger about people not understanding what WE are trying to do....and that's just to live a longer, healthier life!!!

My heart goes to you....but know that you are bettering yourself....no matter what they might think they might know!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 18:09

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I feel where you are coming from. My first posting in my journal was an awkard rant about the same subject. Unfortunately, it was not well put like your post.

However, I have found that the skepticism of others has changed over the past 9 months. Why? Could be because I am so confident that I made the right choice or that I have gone from a size 24 to a size 18 (which are now getting loose) or it could be all of the good press Atkins is getting. It is hard to say.

I still get upset from time to time but I really believe the tide is changing. I think of myself as a revolutionary (after all, it is in the title of the book) and that eventually others will follow. It is like we are writing our own declaration of indepedance... We are Independant of Eating Posioness Processed Foods!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 18:11

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

The next time someone tells you Atkins is sooo unhealthy...ask them what they had to eat that day. I bet you 9 out of 10 times nutritional value, the atkins way of eating has more vitamins, good fats, and protien then the "healthy" way of eating.

I would go head to head with nurtritional value to anyone who tells me Atkins (or any low carb) way of eating is un-healthy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 167/156/130
BF:
Progress: 30%

Wow, you have expressed so eloquently exactly what I have been feeling!

My Mom died this last September of a heart attack. Her cardiologist had been pushing her to eat low-fat high carb. She did what he said.

Part of me wonders...would she still be alive today if she had followed Atkins instead?

It makes me angry to think of all the suffering caused needlessly...and I wonder when the change will come, when the truth will be out in the open and impossible to ignore...

Love, Leora
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've never understood why people get so bent out of shape because others have opinions about this diet. I could really care less how someone else thinks about how I eat. It is my mouth, my body, my health. As long as I know I feel great am healthy and am making sound decisions what does it really matter what others say.

I would never attempt to defend Atkins. Let them learn on their own. The proof is in the pudding...nobody in my circle challenges me because they see how much weight I've lost and how much energy I have...they also get to see what I CAN eat. I've never concinved anybody that they should try this woe because I've never tried...I'm not in this to change the world, just make my life and the lives of my family healthier.

Gail
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 10:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

One of the best pieces of advice anyone has ever given me is, "Never explain yourself away." If you start justifying what you do, you give the other person permission to criticize. Too many times we (especially women) feel that other people have a right to demand an explanation of our choices and try to give it. As soon as you start doing that, the other person thinks, "Ah hah! She doubts herself. I must be right." Anyone who is genuinely curious and seeking information will be respectful when asking you about Atkins - everyone else will quit riding you when they see you don't care what they think.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 14:32
Registered Member

Stats: 269/243/200 Male 6' 00"
BF:39%/32%/25%
Progress: 38%
Default Advice

2berners...

Thanks for the constructive reply. I will utilize your advice and put it to good use.

JF3
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 18:03

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Gail & 2berners, I wish I had your self-confidence. The opinions of strangers don't matter in the least (I should mention that I drive an art car so I'm used to people assuming I'm a kook), but does bother me when friends or people I know make negative comments or act like I must be gorging myself on bacon and pork rinds all day. I wish I didn't care, but I do. I have to admit though, I've been very lucky not to get much of that. Most people have been very supportive, or at least willing to listen to my point of view.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 18:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Remember - good advice is a lot easier to give than to apply.