Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 14:11

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question Am I doing this right? Questions about fruit

I recently read an article that extreme low carb dieting can be problematic with a low thyroid function, which I suffer from. I have been wondering for a while why when I adhere to my low carb/moderate protein approach and I lose weight at a snail’s pace (less than ½ pound a week with moderate exercise and absolutely NO cheating), however it is better than the NO WEIGHT I lose when adhering to a low fat diet.

Anyway I decided to go towards a more Paleo approach for the next few months and I wanted to know if I am doing this correctly, especially with the fruit. I have read the book a while back and I think I might have missed something along the way.

My daily meal looks something like this:

1 piece of low GI raw fruit
1 or more cups of veggies, usually raw or lightly steamed
5-8 oz of meat, just about any kind and fish at least 3 times a week
2-3 tbsp of a good oil to cook or use as a condiment

I am not using any dairy nor any grains. I want to completely eliminate them for a while. I am also taking a fiber supplement that I found at a Mexican specialty store that has flaxseed, senna and cactus which I am using twice a day, about 2 tsps.

I take the basic 3 Atkins vitamins and the essential oils twice a day. I also take a liquid supplement to help with mineral intake.

Does this look right? Should I add something? Remember I am trying to lose weight as well as feel better. Right now I do feel better but I get hungry more often than with an Atkins/PP approach, and sometimes in the evening I feel like I am going to fall asleep right in my chair, which actually is not always bad because I had trouble sleeping on Atkins.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-05, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: mine
Stats: 268/241/220 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

When dairy is cut out especialy if you ate cheese that was a lot calories cut out of your diet. Maybe add another 1/2 to whole piece or fruit or a handful of nuts. In the Neanderthin book it is stated if you are not getting enough fat you can eat a bunch of protein and still feel hungry. Do you drink a lot of water? I find that helps me stay full. Hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-05, 18:44
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

I don't know anything about low thyroid function, but it does look like you're eating a very low amount of meat.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-05, 20:18

BF:

Thanks for the response. I wonderd too if that was enough protein, though I do not want to add more protein by intaking any dairy or soy, so I will have to get creative.

This week the cravings decreased, and I am feeling alot better, so I think I am doing it right, but I agree maybe a couple 1/2 cups of fruit servings as snacks and a little more protein might be the trick...

thanks!

kellie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 10:44

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

As you will probably realise, we are all our own executioners so which one of us has the diet right? If you have not done so you might find some of the comment at www.second-opinions.co.uk of some interest and especially the articles: "Why low-carb diets must be high fat, not high-protein" also "Carbs, not fats, cause weight gain" and "The design of our digestive organs and digestive enzymes" and finally, "Polyunsaturated oils and cancer". The other site that is helpful is www.westonaprice.org with its many healthful articles. Try to find the URL for Raymond Peat's Web-page and read his article, "Unsaturated vegetable oils: Toxic". Look-up too on a search engine, 'goitrogenic foods'. Some of this information should be of help to you.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:52

BF:

I think I am definately still in the high fat terrority. I am eating 5-8 tbsp daily, which if I am adding right that is over 600 calories a day just in fat, and though I am watching the saturated fat intake, I am eating red meat as well as darker chicken so I am not being super legalistic on the sat fat just being careful. I also eat flax which I believe is nothing but an Omega 3 oil, so I have no doubt I am getting enough oil.

I had my first period since this approach (sorry guys I know you probably don't want to hear this but I think the ladies might be interested). I had NO PMS. No cramps, no witchiness...it is very interesting...I am usually a basket case for 3 days prior.

8 pounds gone in two weeks also...not too shabby for someone who had not lost in 8 weeks.

thank you for the info, I will definately read the articles.

Kellie

Last edited by kelrivas : Mon, Oct-17-05 at 15:37.