Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-12, 17:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've been putting about a half teaspoon in my palm and dumping it in my mouth, then having some of my cold herbal tea; it's somehow delicious.

And now I salt my meat and eggs like a nut.

I invested in some pink Himalayan salt; great stuff! None of that off flavor I now pick up in regular salt.

If you have a problem with it clumping in the shaker, put in some grains of rice. A friend suggested it and I remembered that is what my grandmother had in her salt shaker. Works like a charm!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-12, 17:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13th
hmmm... how does all this tie in with people like me on high bp drugs like lisinopril and the water pill HCTZ?? I am over weight of course, but have been on high BP rx even when I wasnt, they say it is heridtary.. any ideas?

Even if you weren't overweight, carbs could have been doing a number on your blood pressure regardless.

I had "borderline high" blood pressure when I was 70 pounds overweight. Now it's what my PA calls "perfect."

Can you invest in a BP monitor and check it out yourself? Many people see their high BP fall even before they lose all their excess weight.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-12, 21:06

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

That's been my experience. I had slightly high blood pressure and had been on a low dose of lisinopril for about 15 years. I'm nowhere near where I need to be, weight-wise, but after testing myself at home, I've not taken the lisinopril for several days now & my bp is great.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 08:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've been salting my water, three slightly rounded teaspoons per four liter bottle seems to be the point beyond which the stuff becomes unpalatable.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 09:01

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

it's amazing the difference i've noticed restarting again. i was eating a lot of bacon and had no induction flu of any kind. yesterday i didn't have any, just chicken and hamburger and i started feeling weak and just awful. i remembered the salt, had some and felt immediately better. amazing!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 09:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good stuff!

I think once you've been in ketosis for a good long while you don't have to force the salt so much. At least, I don't seem to have to. I used to get foot and calf cramps before, but this time I'm not.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-12, 04:02

Plan: Dr S D Phinney
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:9 - 10%
Progress: 100%

Very interesting read and I am a big fan of Dr S D Phinney's work especially the book he wrote 'The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance'.

I agree with the low-salt issue and it scared me once years ago. I started on a low-carb (20% protein - 80% fat) with no more than 50gram carb a day not knowing that I need to up my salt/potassium and I ended up with a heart-thumping feeling that I practically felt in my throat! It scared me so much that I thought I was having a heart attack! Couldn't breath etc.

Once I realised that I need to up my salt/potassium, it all went away and my heart was purring like a kitten. :-) It doesn't matter how much cal/mag/zinc you take, it won't solve the heart-thumping experience. Salt/potassium come first before any other minerals.

How I manage my salt/potassium intake...

I aim for minimum 5g salt and same for potassium as well (1:1) and I always aim for 1:5 or even 1:2 if my training is hard or long.

First thing in the morning, I drink a glass of water with 1/4 tsp of sea salt and 1/4 of low-salt (potassium) before breakfast. During breakfast, lunch or dinner, I put a pinch or two of salt and potassium on my foods.

If I am going to use the sauna, which I love and I will have another glass of water with salt/potassium in it like I do before breakfast.

1/2 tsp of potassium = 900mg
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-12, 06:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/167/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 58%

Great thread! I've just checked and I'm hardly getting more than 1mg a day. I have also been suffering really bad cramps for a couple of weeks now so I'm going to up my intake and see if that helps. Thank you xx
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-12, 11:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 199.0/179/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:46.8
Progress: 25%

I have been getting terrible cramps lately, spending most of the day feeling like I was going to cramp or like I had just got over a cramp, not a pleasant feeling at all.
I have been adding pink himalayan salt to everything, I am hoping that it will help to bring the levels up again.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 04:40

BF:

So I'm on a second day of upping my salt and I'm sure my cramps are easing? Not sure if it's psychological but I really hope paying attention to my salt intake is going to help me feel better. Thanks again for the thread x
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 06:30

Plan: Dr S D Phinney
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:9 - 10%
Progress: 100%

To Ilovelists...

Not just salt. Up the potassium as well. Aim for 1:1 or even 1:5 (salt : potassium).

Examples...

1. Get almonds that have been roasted in sea salt.
2. Make a sauce using onion/garlic & butter/double-cream and add salt/potassium. Use it on steak, chicken etc. Mix it with spinach for more potassium.
3. Simply drink glass of water with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp potassium.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 06:33

BF:

Thanks MrRoberts! Awesome timing as I'm currently eating a crustless salmon, brie and SPINACH quiche and planning more spinach for my dinner! xx
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 07:33

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

The best source for potassium is low sodium Vegetable juice. It has tons, more than anything I've ever been able to find anywhere. More than pedalite.

I used to get terrible headaches before going low carb, and V8 etc fixed it.

of course , now I rarely get a headache
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 07:35

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoberts
3. Simply drink glass of water with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp potassium.

Seriously??
Salt water?

That's what you use to make people vomit!
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 07:55

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I drink a cup of hot water with a bouilen cube in it and add a 1/4 tsp of pottasium (fake salt) to my broth. Its not to salty to drink and its kinda nice having something hot right now. I drink that twice a day and feel great, if I miss a day, the next day I'm having problems.