Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 23:44

Plan: no specific
Stats: -/-/- Female 55 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default When to Honor Hunger?

So hi...it's me again..
I am curious about when it is appropriate to honor hunger, and when it should just be ignored (since I can do so now without worrying that my blood sugar is going to get so low I will pass out).
I am an avid exerciser, very active, and I wonder if I am maybe not getting enough calories during my CMs? I don't count, but I do seem to eat a lot more than people on here speak of, but I still find myself with what seems to be true, valid, genuine hunger most all of the time. I don't think I'm overdoing the carbs because even on Atkins the hunger was still there.
It's hard to go to bed this hungry, but I'm kind of afraid that snacking will mess me up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 09:48

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

If I think I am hungry and it is not close to the time I usually eat, I drink water. If I find that I am experiencing true hunger, I eat, making sure to include both protein and veggies.

Before I began this program, I am not sure what hunger really was since I seemed to be hungry all of the time. I now know my feeding behavior was caused by eating carbohydrates because I would enjoy my carbs, crash pretty hard, and need to eat again because I would either be shaking or thought I was starving.

My diet or when I eat has nothing to do with me exercising. I have an exercise routine that I follow and when I feel I am truly hungry, I eat. The only time I have problems with this program is when I get too focused on my weight instead of allowing the program to take care of itself.

I don't know whether you are following CAD or CALP but I will tell you that the balance of CALP is what has been guiding my journey. I have found that following this program has been the most natural way for me to get myself fit and healthy and I still believe it was made especially for me.

Best wishes,
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 06:15

Plan: CALP
Stats: 228/223.5/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I was like that too... after having lost all cravings for a couple weeks.... and I was almost stark raving mad hungry! could have ate the paint off the wallls all day.

What I found was that I had added Ranch Dressing to my salad (it was here, cheap) and when looking at the ingredients it had MSG in it. I seem to be highly sensitive to MSG and it will cause rebound cravings throughout the next day!

After about 3 days of cutting it out, my cravings went away. I switched to blue cheese dressing, or a great oil dressing from Kroger (1 g carb!) that is almost like italian, just lower carb.

So, I would say do some investigating, and see if there are craving inducing foods in your diet (too much broccoli, MSG, Artificial Sweetner, etc)...

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 15:22

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Jenny just gave you great advice I have found the same when it comes to sudden cravings for more, more, more