Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 07:42

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 133/118.4/110 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Who wants some low carb lasagna?

I am italian and can't stand the thought of not having pasta again. So I created my own LOW CARB Lasagna. This is TRULY low carb with fresh ingredients.
Please try it and let me know how you like it. I would love the feed back.
I made it for dinner and served it to my husband and kids and they didn't even know there were no real pasta noodles in it. I was even surprised it tasted so good. This has only 5.4 grams of carbs per huge piece. I also have a recipe for canneloni/manicotti which I will post later. Don't forget to reply with your feed back after you tried it. Thanks! Here is the recipe:

Mary’s Low Carb Lasagna

6 large eggs (3.6 grams)
6 tablespoons of water
Olive oil (0 grams)
1 lb ground beef, browned in olive oil and cooled completely (0 grams)
Salt and Pepper
1 tub ricotta cheese (12 grams)
1 large egg (0.6 grams)
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (3 grams)
1 ½ cup marinara sauce (20 grams)
3-4 handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese (1.6 grams)
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (1.5 grams)
1-2 pats of butter

Beat six 6 eggs with 6 tablespoons water. Heat a 10” non-stick fry pan. With a small ladle pour 1/6 of your egg mixture into your fry pan. Twirl it around to coat the whole bottom. When it starts to set, watch for the egg to start pulling away from the pan. When that happens CAREFULLY pick up your egg with your fingers (it’s hot!) and flip it to the other side. This takes about 1-2 minutes on each side. It will go fast. You should end up with 6 large crepe “noodles”. Set aside in fridge.
Tip: You are basically making an egg crepe. You can make lots and freeze for future.

Brown ground beef with a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper. Drain excess fat and let cool completely. Set aside.

In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese and egg. Set aside.

Squeeze excess water from your thawed spinach. Set aside.

In bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, spread a little marinara sauce. Place 2 of your egg crepe noodles on top of the sauce, covering your baking dish. Don’t worry if it doesn’t fit completely perfect or you have to overlap it. Spread you ricotta cheese mixture on top of the crepe. Spread your spinach of top of the ricotta. Put 2 more of you egg crepe noodles on top of spinach. Spread your cooled ground beef over top. Pour a little marinara sauce over beef to moisten just a little. Put a handful of mozzarella cheese and some parmesan over the beef as well. Lay your final 2 egg crepe noodles over top and sprinkle with the leftover mozzarella and parmesan.

Cut up 1-2 pats of butter and sprinkle over top of the cheeses. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees until top is bubbling. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes until top is brown. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve.

Carb count for whole lasagne is 43 grams. Cut into 8 huge slices and the carb count is 5.4 grams per serving. Serve with salad

Tip: Make your own marinara sauce to ensure there is no added sugar. Saute ¼ onion in a little olive oil. In a handy chopper, blend one can of whole plum tomatoes (no sugar added) (Unico brand in only 5 carbs per ½ cup). Add tomatoes to pot. Add some salt and pepper and a handful of fresh chopped parsley. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes and your done.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 08:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 242/224/170 Female 5foot8inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

this sounds really good....worry about being able to "make" the noodles though.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 09:03

BF:

don't worry, it make take one or two tries. sometimes even when I make them the first two noodles break. Have some extra eggs on hand! But you will get it. It will look like a large tortilla shell. Albeit very thin and flimsy. You can subsitute a little milk or cream instead of the water for the noodles to make them sturdier but that will up you carb count. Trust me it's worth it. It is truly yummy. Let me know how it turns out. Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 09:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

You can use pan-fried eggplant slices as noodles in a lasagne. I actually think that they make the lasagne taste better than pasta does.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

This sounds really yummy, but I'm having difficulty visualizing the "noodles"...any chance of posting a pic?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 09:48

BF:

Yes I will be able to post a picture of the noodle tonight. I have to wait until my husband gets home to do it for me as I don't know how. It will be the size of a 10" soft flour tortilla shell but it will be yellow of course and thin and flimsy like a crepe. If you really really had trouble making them you could add a tablespoon of soy flour per egg but that will up your carb count and really not needed.
I will post it a picture tonight.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 18:39
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

Thanks! I made zucchini lasagna the other night and it just didn't turn out. I think maybe the zucchini(my spelling sux) had too much water in it, cuz my lasagna came out too runny. I can make a mean omlet, so I'm going to give your recipe a try!! I can't wait!! Thanks for sharing!!
Jul
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 06:59

BF:

Susan, I can't seem to post the pictures of the crepe. I thing I will be able to email them though. Do you want to send me your email address?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 11:37

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i agree with Dodger! Forget the noodles, the fried or broiled eggplant slices make this really wonderful. I dont' miss the noodles at all and i think i prefer this with eggplant over the regular lasagna with noodles....i guess i'm funally losing my taste for starches

Deb
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 12:40

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
i agree with Dodger! Forget the noodles, the fried or broiled eggplant slices make this really wonderful. I dont' miss the noodles at all and i think i prefer this with eggplant over the regular lasagna with noodles....i guess i'm funally losing my taste for starches

Deb

I despise eggplant so I made this with cabbage instead. After several different attempts I found the best way is to basically julienne or shred the cabbage and steam it till its 3/4 of the way done before you layer it with the sauce, cheese, and meat. Yummy stuff!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 13:06

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef

Cabbage?!?!?!?!?

If you are Italian, you will now have to turn in your card.......

The thought of cabbage never occured to me, but I'd bet one could make a really mean Italian cabbage roll with these ingredients!

I prefer Eggplant over Zuccinni myself, but both are good. The trick is to pat them really dry, I prefer to put the slices between two large cutting boards with Paper Towel between the boards and the vegetable, then weight down the boards to press out the water etc...

Then fry the seasoned Zuc/Eggplant slices in HOT olive oil, making them really crispy on the outside, but still tender inside. (Takes a bit of practice)

I am very intigued with the egg "pasta" recipe though.... and a little heavy cream mixed with the eggs will add nearly zero carbs to this dish.......
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 14:34

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
Cabbage?!?!?!?!?

If you are Italian, you will now have to turn in your card.......

LOL!! actually I'm scottish, irish, and dutch....with a rouge welsh here and there
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 14:53

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Someone posted (I can't remember who or where) that they use low carb tortillas to make their noodles for lasagna. Have any of you ever tried that?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 11:02

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi Mary:

Tonight I tried your lasagna and it was delicious. I omitted the spinach because my man doesn't like it and I doubled the meat. Also my pan was bigger, so I made 12 noodles instead. I had no problem making the noodles either. The only thing I needed more of was the sauce. I only made one of your recipe. I see I will have to play with this to get it just right.

Thanks for sharing.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 14:01

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i've revised the way i do my eggplant slices for this.

Instead of frying or broiling, i've tried grilling on my barbeque. They came out with a great smokey taste that really enhanced the overall flavour of the lasagna.

It was so great, and no one else in my family had any idea it was LC. They don't support me at all so i have to sneak around and do stuff on the sly like this.

Just be sure to peel some of the skin off the eggplant in alternating strips(peel a strip, move over about an inch, peel another strip and so on around the circumference of the eggplant) before slicing. It still holds the slices together but some of the skin can get tough and hard to chew...

Deb