Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-16, 10:30

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 222.2/169.4/155.0 Female 65
BF:32.4
Progress: 79%
Arrow happy independence day everyone!!

confession time!! i am very angry at myself; i've been terribly off-plan these last several days....promised myself i'd be good starting yesterday, and i wasn't

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!
back on track, back on plan
nothing but coffee so far today.....lots of water too
i will be having steak, salad, and deviled eggs for our independence day celebration; i will pass on the corn & baked beans

i hope you all have a wonderful day
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-16, 11:41

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieL
confession time!! i am very angry at myself; i've been terribly off-plan these last several days....promised myself i'd be good starting yesterday, and i wasn't

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!
back on track, back on plan
nothing but coffee so far today.....lots of water too
i will be having steak, salad, and deviled eggs for our independence day celebration; i will pass on the corn & baked beans

i hope you all have a wonderful day

You never know - the break from low carb may be a metabolic booster for you. Don't be angry at yourself. You needed the break, and you realize that you have been eating off-plan. That is good! It shows you are conscious of your diet. The fact that you have decided it was enough and want to go back to low carbing it is very healthy. You are still in control.

Holidays are always hard. But this CNS plan takes that into consideration. Just plan it into your CN schedule. Even Keifer said that doing a couple days of carbs will not hinder you. It may set you back on weight loss for a bit, but as long as you have control and go back to your LC week, you should be just fine.

The whole point of CNS is to keep the metabolic hormones cycling. You should be able to do fine now, Chrissie!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-16, 13:51

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Love your thread ladies, and how friendly and supportive it is, too.

I will live vicariously through you all for now, as carb nite is not for me at the moment - whenever I've had a carb evening over the last 2-3 years, it for sure takes me more than a week to get back to where I was.

But I think I can learn from your thread because I already have, and it is helpful for me even as a very long-term low carber, to see how others manage their choices, their scale expectations and following consequences, and so on.

So I'm subscribing to keep up!

Although I wasn't able to lose on a carb nite type plan, I will be entering (I hope!!!) maintenance at some point this summer, and I feel like dealing with carbs once or twice or four times a month and being able to bounce back from it, and get right back on track... is a CRITICAL tool to have under our belts. Even if someone is not intending to actually eat them.

Because even if someone expected to NEVER eat grains or sugar again.... I think to not have a plan on how to deal with it... is how then people fall face first into oblivion, NEVER come back because they've started a binge cycle that they "thought" they had under control, and then when it happens anyway, after they said "no exceptions EVER", they don't know how to deal with it, because they never prepared themselves with the right tools, kwim?

I mean as in - I feel like this is how people who have success for years and years and YEARS, sometimes just snap one day, go off the deep end, and TOTALLY regain all of their weight. Not to mention also disappear from the boards.

So I think what you guys are doing is great, and I am really excited that it's working for you all, too.

I will be following your thread for knowledge, out of interest, and to root you guys on. There is a lot to be learned here.

I know this message was quite long but I was just thinking out loud. Hope you don't mind.

I read one time about this lady, who lost like over 150 lbs. That got her down to less than that. She maintained her weight for NO JOKE 17 years... NO blips, NO regains, happy and SOLID and CONTENT in her LC eating.

*Everyone* knows the old adage, about how "after 5 years, only 5% of people have kept off any weight that they've lost".

So I guess after 5 years, you'd feel confident that you were one of the so called 5%. After 10 years, you'd know this was for life.

After 15 years, it wouldn't even OCCUR to you, that anything could ever be different for you again.

And then.... after 17 years... to regain EVERYTHING? She literally said in the article,

"I didn't have a trauma. I didn't get divorced. I didn't lose my job, or a child, or a parent, or my home. I didn't get sick. I didn't have failing thyroid function."

"It can just still literally happen to anybody.

No matter how knowledgable they are. Or how committed. Or how happy with their food, health, and with what they've achieved.

One day, it can just still happen to anyone, when they least expect it."

So if that story wasn't enough to scare the living bejeezus out of people into having a better plan than just "no more carbs, ever" once they get to goal, I know it sure was enough to give me serious pause for thought, when I came across that article a few years ago.

I don't want to regain my weight, EVER. But realistically, that means that I need to know how to deal with the unexpected. How to not freak out. How to stay focussed even after having something with carbs, etc etc.

Like I said, I think there is A LOT to be learned from your thread, for all different reasons. Even for example for people like me - who aren't even following your plan.

So well done ladies, good luck... and thank you for starting this great (and supportive and kind thread), Paulette!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-16, 17:57

BF:

Thank you HoneyPie for such a nice comment. I agree with you on the importance of learning how to handle situations where you find yourself amongst carbs. Those of us who have lived without them for so long seem to develop a phobia against them. I am one of those. And I must admit that since I started CNS, I have learned that carbs are Not my enemy like I thought they were. I CAN handle them. True - you do gain a few lbs after a Carb Nite, but it is only water retention which does drop once you enter ketosis again. The freedom of having a Carb Nite once a week is very therapeutic, once you know that you are NOT gaining fat the day after - simply water weight from the storage of the glycogen in your muscles. If you are willing to ignore the ups & downs of the CNs, then it is easier to accept the slower losses. And slower losses are always better than NO losses at all. This program is great for breaking the dreaded plateau! Also - with CNS, the terrible guilt of "cheating" is gone. Your CN is required once a week, so go ahead and enjoy it!

And on that note, I have decided to have my CN tonight after all. My boyfriend wanted to make the bean burritos tonight, so I agreed and had a couple. I also made a blueberry cobbler and had a sizeable chunk of that with Cool Whip. So my CN is done for the week. I know I was not down to my previous low from last week yet, but I am not going to fret about it. I made my decision and I will follow my low carb week cycle again starting tomorrow. At least I am keeping the hormones flowing. I need to keep that in mind. It is the reason this plan works. And Keifer said it is very important to not skip your CNs. I went 7 full days of ultra low carb, and it was time for the CN. So I just did it.

I hope you all have a great night!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-16, 18:19

Red face g'nite all!!

PAULETTE......thank you so much!! you always know exactly what to say & what i need to hear
glad you enjoyed your CN

HONEYPIE......love love love your comments!! thanks for stopping by here, and look forward to hearing more from you

have a great nite everyone
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 06:56

Plan: IF+Keto+Carb Nite
Stats: 239.2/231.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Good morning! Hope my American friends had a great holiday yesterday.

I'm enjoying my coffee with HWC and Splenda. Mixed up some tuna salad for lunch and am taking pepperoni sticks to have on hand for snacks.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 07:01

Cool good morning!!

i am down 1.3 this morning.....yay

LIANNE........good morning to you! i did happen to have a good day yesterday, thank you
i hope your coffee was delicious and your day will be great
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 09:22

BF:

Yay Chrissie!!!! Congrats on your drop! You are a STAR. You have lost all your weight to within 5 lbs and you are learning the ups & downs of maintenance. In time you may see your final goal number. It may take a while, but it will come when you are ready. The main thing is that you are in control of your eating now.

I am up only 1.4 from my CN yesterday. I'm really happy about that. I have had CNs where I have gained up to 6 lbs before, and was not happy about that, but it always went away in 3-4 days.

Last week I did not lose anything, so I am hopeful this week is better. I was very mindful of my CN, so I hope I see some results this week.

Today is a tuna salad on spinach for lunch and I will need to decide on dinner. I am thinking chicken breast??? Whatever I decide on, it shall need to be thawed out, so I better make up my mind soon!!!

You all have a great day!!!!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Good morning my fellow CN peeps.

What a nice small bounce Paulette. It looks like you are going to have a good weight loss week.

I am right there with you Chrissie, I am really upset with myself also. I really derailed bad yesterday. I had my normal Saturday CN, and was up 5 pounds from that. This seems to me my normal CN bounce anymore. I get it off, and an extra pound or maybe two. Well, after my epic fail yesterday, I can add
3.0 more to that CN bounce. YIKES, why did I do that???

I took an extra day off, so I am sitting here enjoying my coffee this morning. I will fast until dinner today and will enjoy tri tip that we were supposed to have yesterday. That darn pizza got in the way. LOL

Have a great day all.
Rox
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 12:26

Lightbulb

PAULETTE.....thank you! wow.....+1.4 is practically nothing!! good for you

ROX.......why do we do what we do when we KNOW it is a negative thing to do? i have no clue......stupidity at it's finest
onward & downward we shall go
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 12:57

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Those of us who have lived without them for so long seem to develop a phobia against them. I am one of those. And I must admit that since I started CNS, I have learned that carbs are Not my enemy like I thought they were.
Hi Paulette, this comment is totally where I'm at, too.

I have been low carb for so many years of my life. It's the only way I've ever lost weight, OR kept it off, and eating any carbs IS terrible for me. Both from a spiking up on the scale perspective, also from the perspective of arteriosclerosis, blood glucose and insulin control, and ALL of my metabolic function.

However - I am eating SO strictly right now, that obviously this isn't going to be forever. I am doing something in between Stillman's and Atkin's '72 right now, so entirely 0 carb, protein only, and only moderate fat. No dairy whatsoever, and lower-ish calories too, on the days that I can manage it. But that is HARD. Because it's basically chicken and boiled eggs.

And it will get me to goal for sure, but I don't want to get to goal, immediately spike up like 12 lbs in 2 days, and then for it to take me a MONTH to lose again, - because of the sheer STRESS and my GUILT, at having bounced up like that again.

I am LC for life.
I want to manage my weight for LIFE.
I want to be healthy for the rest of my life.

But I am also trying to give myself the tools to be able to go forward after I reach my goal weight... without so much STRESS, when something doesn't go to plan or I don't like what the scale says, after a choice *I* decided to make.

Like today, reading this thread, I loved what you said too, ringamajig. Because these are things we ALL deal with, all of the time in our journeys.

But seeing that someone else gains 5 lbs with a higher carb meal, and THEN that you added 3 more lbs to it too,... but that you're cool as a cucumber and that you know that you need to just get back on track... is so helpful for me to see right now.

Because the truth is, NONE of us get a free pass with the eating choices we make, ever. And that's whether we're losing, and then when we're at goal too. There is a free pass NEVER, not for anything we ever put into our mouths. Which is why it's so important to learn how to manage this, for LIFE.

And that means it's important to figure out what kinds of carbs have less ill effect on us, when we choose to make those higher carb choices.

I had four completely free-for-all days back to back about two weeks ago, after being strictly zero carb for about 3 weeks. But it was free-for-all fruit, only. No processed sugar, no grains. And I think I gained something like 9 pounds. But it was also GONE again, in 3 or 4 more days. And that has NEVER happened to me before. Normally if I had eaten ANYTHING else higher carb, made from sugar or flour, even in not-huge quantities... a 4 day gain for me, would have been with NO exaggeration, honestly a full 4 WEEKS to re-lose again. And not to mention that a "free for all" of eating anything else, the gain would have been WAY higher than 9 lbs in 4 days too.

So it's interested to see too, what our bodies like better, and have an easier time processing, and so on.

I told this anecdote because it actually IS related to your thread, and not just me gabbing with no "stop" button - because I was thinking to myself of this idea, of demonizing carbs and being SO paranoid and psychotic about the idea that ANY carbs will make me gain.

Well, yes. Yes, they will. Sure they will. And it's good to understand that, and to know that it's a fact that will NEVER change.

But on the other hand, if I allowed myself a bit of what I wanted SOMEtimes, and for the record - I am *not* one of those people that thinks the fructose in fruit is the same to the body as the HFCS in twinkies or whatever... if I allowed myself a bit of fruit sometimes, I probably could have avoided the 4 day free-for-all PANIC that no doubt was happening, with the "I better eat all these cherries and peaches NOW, because after that, I WILL NEVER BE ALLOWED THEM AGAIN... GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!"

Right? I mean, I know we've all been there.

So yes. This is what I meant that your thread is great, and that it gives a lot of food for thought.

If I ever get to goal, and if I EVER intend to maintain it like a somewhat normal person, and somewhat emotionally stable on the subject of food and scale weight - then I need to have a plan. And I can NOT freak out if I ever make the decision to eat cherries or something.

Just because I choose to eat higher carb once a week, if or when I do, doesn't actually mean that anyone will be shoving pints of ice cream into my mouth. I can eat more nuts, or whatever I choose. But if I do, at SOME point in my life, have an ice cream... I can not, CANNOT let that derail me, or make me think that "I might as well eat what I want now for another meal because I'll be up 4 lbs on the scale now anyway".

Because that it what I've always had REAL problems with in the past, and if that "one" more meal is also hard for me to nip in the bud, and it ends up being 3 (or god forbid) 4 days, of NOT EVEN crazy bad choices, but just too high carb for me, then that is suddenly a disaster that is easily 20 lbs in 4 days for me, that I then have to deal with for WEEKS. Even with no binging, and not crazy bad choices by any standards.

It's just not worth it.

So thanks again for this thread. Like I said, for me, seeing how you guys manage your carb nites and your choices is REALLY helpful.

I just want to get the heck AWAY from that "all or nothing" mentality. Because it's not healthy. And in the long run, can only lead to ruin.

I want to manage my food choices after I get to goal like an adult, WITHOUT all of the phobic panic and anxiety and stress, that comes that comes from those fluctuations on the scale.

Yes, knowing we have to get back on track after ONE meal is crucial to that. Knowing it's not the end of the world, or the last time we can ever eat something we want, is also critical to learn.

I wouldn't go to the bar and binge-drink 7 days a week just because I like it, and because once I start dieting I also "can't have another drink again". Although that thought may have surreptitiously crossed my mind when I was 20 .

I now have a couple of drinks, either once a week, or sometimes even only once a month - and I don't care. And a couple does literally mean two, not six. And for me, that coming a long way. "I don't care" in that I don't care whether it IS once a week or once a month - because either way: I enjoy my night out, and know how to deal with the scale consequences the next day. And I also know that I can go back next week again, and have a few drinks then too, if I want to. And that it'll be FUN! And that I don't need to drink the bar dry for it to BE fun, and that it will always be there.

This actually only just occurred to me now, so I was typing as I was thinking.

But yes - that is EXACTLY how I need to be treating the food choices I make. Or the higher carb choices I make, should they ever happen. NO emotional roller coaster... just calm and knowing if the scale has gone up, that right back on track, will bring it right back down again.

Also, for me, remembering that what choices I make, will have a HUGE impact on how many pounds I go up, and also on how quickly my body is going to be willing to let go of them again, is something I will try to pay more attention to, and be more aware of, because it will subconsciously help me want to make better choices.

It's still a learning process, even after all of these years. Isn't that so funny? I just want to get it right, for me.

Hope you ladies are all having a great day!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 15:15

BF:

HoneyPie, I am glad to hear you are working hard to get a handle on your carb-o-phobia. I know it took a while for me to lose it. And like you, I want to train myself how to eat for the rest of my life. I cannot imagine living the rest of my life and never be able to enjoy a single cherry again. That is unreasonable and ridiculous. If anything, CNS is helping me to learn how to eat carbs CORRECTLY again.

When I first started, I truly did pig out on the desserts. But now I am different. I eat my carbs, but try to stay low fat, and don't over-do it. At first I was following the 6-8 hour window like Keifer suggested, but I found I don't need that. One meal at night with a dessert before bed, and try to keep everything low fat. That is all I need.

This allows me to go out with friends and enjoy myself without being "the weird one who cannot even have a bun with her hamburger" type of person. That was always so awkward for me that I avoided all situations like this. CNS has given me the freedom to enjoy this again.

My last 30 lbs can come off as slowly as they want now. I am no longer in a race to the goal. I just want to be healthy and happy. And learn how to eat so I never have to fear gaining like I did in the past. I used to be so ignorant, but now I have the "knowing".
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 15:22

BF:

ROX - life gets in the way sometimes. And sometimes we feel like our bodies need a break now and then, too. You are in control, so keep plodding along. You are doing GREAT!!!!

I hope your post-CN gain leaves quickly!!! I always seem to find I am never very hungry the day after and fasting is always a good thing. I did not eat anything but a couple cups of coffee/cream this morning and a can of tuna with mayo this afternoon. It is dinner time and I am not interested in anything yet. I may grab something soon. And I still have no idea what I want!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks Paulette.

I am either very hungry after a CN or not at all. Today, is the not at all kind of day. So, even though technically yesterday was not a CN, I am happy that I am fasting without hunger. I plan on eating around 5ish, so only a couple more hours to go.

Thanks HoneyPie. Getting right back on track is certainly the key. Having the
right mindset is also very helpful.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 18:41

BF:

I never did get hungry today. For dinner I ate 3 turkey weiners of all things, only because they were instant and I did not want to cook anything on this hot day. So the 3 turkey weiners had to do. It is bedtime now and I only had 845 calories for the day.

Tomorrow I know I will be hungrier. I try to keep to my 1200 calories during my LC days, and I know I should get that tomorrow. I have bacon & eggs in the fridge, so I think I may partake of them.

Have a good night all!