Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 18:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks Louise V! It is always good to hear from the people who have had successful quits.
The cravings are way down, my consumption of sugar free mints is way up, and the appetite seems to be increasing a bit.

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Week 1 Day 22 Hours 30 Minutes 9 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 357. Money saved: $46.48.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 18:35
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Atriana, I just tried to apply again I hope this time I did not forget anything

I do drink water every time I have a craving or get restless. I find it helps a bit....but stay close to a bathroom . I must consume about 2 gallons right now but then its better then snacking for me. I have such a long way to go until I am in a comfy weight range.

How is your hubby coping? I really hate to be such a bit** and I hope this will get better soon....

I have chosen not to smoke for 4 Days 6 Hours 3 Minutes 14 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 55. Money saved: C$20.04.

55 cigs not smoked...I don't even have my cough anymore and I don't wheeze and squike anymore when I laugh
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 19:47

BF:

Hubby is one of those totally even tempered people who never raise their voice or cause a fuss. The only difference I can see in him is he has less tolerance for people who drive stupidly on the road.
I still have my moments, will get worked up over the smallest thing, but they are less and less as time goes on - and I am not naturally one of those calm type people anyway.
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Week 1 Day 23 Hours 48 Minutes 54 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 359. Money saved: $46.76.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 20:17
Vorsicht! heiß

Atriana

now I just got denied again. The last time I stated my smoke free stats...promised that I read the policy and will stay nicotine free and a few nice words...and now they tell me again I have to reply to a letter and read the site right. Well I am reading the site since days and unless I am missing something in this application again...it beats me. I guess I will just be a quiet reader on this website and share my progress here with you

I had no craving after dinner Ahh felt good not to think of a smoke

I have chosen not to smoke for 4 Days 7 Hours 49 Minutes 49 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 56. Money saved: C$20.39.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 07:37

BF:

Mischa - here is the info:

We're sorry but all applications will be immediately denied unless they contain the following information:

1. A statement that you have not used any nicotine for the past 72 hours (including nicotine patches, nicotine gums, nicotine sprays, nicotine inhalers, nicotine pills, nicotine liquids, nicotine candy, cigars, snuff, dip, cigarettes or any other product containing nicotine)

2. The date you stopped using all nicotine

3. A valid email address

4. Tell us that you have read Relapse Policy.

If you apply for membership without providing the above information, or apply early , we have no choice but to deny your application. Please do not get discouraged by the nasty denial letter than MSN automatically generates when an application is denied. Once your body is nicotine clean simply reapply - providing the needed info - and we'll get you in as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

How about:
Hi. My name is _____ and my email address is _________. I quit smoking on _(date)___ and have not used any form of nicotine since then. . I have been nicotine free for at least 72 hours - my quit meter tells me it is actually been ________ hours. I would like to be a member of Freedom, I have read and understand the Relapse Policy.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 08:55
Vorsicht! heiß

Atriana this is worse then getting into Harvard!!! The 3rd. time I forgot the Date...and now its my name, too close to someone else's

Almost 5 days for me whohooo I find it is getting easier to cope in the mornings now with my coffee. Evenings are still bad. I just read in your journal that your hands are still puffy as well..same here. Boy wonder how long the body retains water...you are heading into your second week. Congrats!!!

I have chosen not to smoke for 4 Days 20 Hours 26 Minutes 17 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 63. Money saved: C$22.86.

smoke from 62 cigarettes not in my lungs I bet you they are celebrating
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:47

BF:

But, if just anybody could get in, both Harvard and Freedom wouldn't be as special, would they? LOL.
It is worth it - remember - I'm going to be gone for about 5 weeks.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 15:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 135/125/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Quitting Nicotine

Hi Everybody. I quit smoking 8 months ago and chose to use nicotine gum to assist. At that time, though, I started picking up some of the 15 pounds I had lost while still smoking on the PP Plan. I thought that was kind of weird because PP says that losing weight on their plan would be more difficult if you were still smoking. The only thing I finally came up with is that I must be ingesting more nicotine through the gum than in the 10 cigarettes/day that I was smoking. I have doubled up time on my workouts and have been very restrictive in my carb intake. I decided last night to throw the gum down too after reading "Plateau Busters" on this website. I'll be disappointed if this actually means I might gain weight, but my plan is to keep not smoking or getting nicotine in any other form for that matter. I've been nicotine-free for 18 hours and I'm having my moments . Thanks for the guidance concerning that the worst is over in about 3 days. I understand this doesn't mean that it isn't over. I've been such a nicotine junkie (30 Years!), I realize it will take quite a while for urges to calm down.

You are all so extremely encouraging!!!! Please keep those tips and experiences coming!!!!
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 15:37
Vorsicht! heiß

Hi Deba,

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago and stalled in weight loss. But this is normal as the body must adjust and go through nicotine withdrawal. I am glad you gave up on the nicorettes and face a life without nicotine.

Here is a helpful website to read up on

http://groups.msn.com/FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow

good luck

Mischa

I am a non-smoker for: 2 Weeks 1 Day 3 Hours 12 Minutes 42 Seconds
Cigarettes not smoked: 196
Money saved: C$71.32
Life saved: 1 Day 8 Hrs 47 Mins 23 Secs

Last edited by mischa : Thu, Jan-02-03 at 15:40.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 18:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/215/185 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have been lurking around this board since Aug. I just found this thread so I figured I would post my stats.

I have been smoke free for 6 years this past November. I had been a 2 pack a day smoker for 18 years.

I made a promise to the DW that I would quit when she got pregnant. Well I did it.

I used the patch to help with quiting. I think it helped alot. My habit was very severe and I just could never go cold turkey. It took 6 weeks using the patch.

After quitting I gained 50 pounds. I have now lost almost 45 of those pounds using atkins. So the weight loss is the second major change for me.

If I ever think about smoking again, all I have to do is think back to the past. When I had a flu, chest totally congested and a cigarette in the hand. I thought how stupid I was and wished I could quit. Well I have quit. So can you.

Jim "Hoish" Hirsch
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 18:32
Vorsicht! heiß

Jim Congratulations. I just quit 2 weeks ago cold turkey and I am trying to lose more weight. I am at a stand still at this moment however.

Well most of your quit weight is off You doing really well.

Keep up the good work

Mischa
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 23:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/133.0/129 Female 5'4"
BF:22.83
Progress: 92%
Default Go girl

You haven't or can't quite bring yourself to even think this but...............you have quit smoking. Yes you have. If you have made it this far you are over the most difficult time.
I quit Feb. 8 th of last year. My first grandchild was born and I new that I DID NOT want to smoke around him, and I also wanted to live as long as I could. I couldn't quit for myself, but I could quit for the ones I love.
I have a super hyper personalily, always doing something with my hands. I never sit and do nothing. That was the hardest part about giving it up. I choose to eat instead. Thats O.K. I can lose the weight, I can't loose lung cancer.
Hang in there. Let us know how you are doing. Suzanne
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:10

BF:
Thumbs up Withdrawal Symptoms

Since i have only been off the nicotine gum for 4 days, what are some of the symptoms I can expect from withdrawing? Drs. Eades say on their website that people really shouldn't have to gain any weight if they quit while they're low-carbing. How true is this?

I sure appreciate all the support you guys give concerning this issue!

Thanks!

Deb
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:19
Vorsicht! heiß

Hi Deba,

I am smoke free for 18 days now. I did gain a few pounds the first week, but it was water weight and today I am back to the weight when I quit smoking. I am glad you are off nicotine and the worse should be over with cravings. There is a good website you can read up on or join...lots of helpful hints for cravings. If you are interested I reported day by day of my withdrawals...mood swings and WOE down in my journal.

Here is the website

http://groups.msn.com/FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow

good luck

Mischa

I am a non-smoker for: 2 Weeks 4 Days 3 Hours 56 Minutes 5 Seconds
Cigarettes not smoked: 236
Money saved: C$85.60
Life saved: 1 Day 15 Hrs 21 Mins 18 Secs
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:36

BF:
Smile Thanks!

Hi Mischa! Just a quick line to say thanks for the info on the website. I'll check it out! Today I'm feeling kind of weird - I can't really explain it, but it's not a good feeling. Thanks also for the encouragement regarding sticking to my low-carb way of life. I originally went on the diet as a means of finding a way to quit smoking without gaining. However, as I got into learning about this lifestyle, I learned that there were some even greater benefits to eating this way - like heart, brain, mood, etc!!!!!

Again, thanks so much for your help!

DebA

P.S. Are you calculating those wonderful statistics on days quit, money saved, etc?