Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 248/242.6/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Going to Start

Hi All!

My name is Tanya and after having come to grips with my carb addiction I need a little help getting started. But before I ask my couple of questions let me give you a little background on me...

My story is probably familiar to most of you. I have struggled with weight my entire life. Doctor's told my mother while I was in first grade that I was getting a little heavy and so began my first diets. In middle school I was 30lbs ish overweight in College 50ish pounds, post grad 75ish and now approaching 100lbs give or take. I'm to embarrassed to step on the scale. I've tried most diets Weight Watchers/Center based/Scarsdale with varying degrees of success. About 10 years ago I did CA and lost 30-40 lbs but started feeling woozy aLOT and went back to trying to control my weight in other ways which took care of the wooziness but wasn't so great for any hope of maintaining. So now, having had a baby 9 months ago and losing all the baby weight plus and then regaining it plus more because I literally cannot control my eating at all, I realize I am full on in the throes of carb addiction. You know the symptoms: eating and eating and eating and not feeling full - and only eating junk. I am to the point where I only crave junk food now. It's really weighing on me (figuratively and literally). I've been reading enough of the posts to know many of you have been there.

So here I am. I need to and will get back in control of myself! I've been rereading the original CAD book and also bought the LifePlan so I'll read that soon. I've also been reading this forum and am inspired by so many of your stories.

I need to get to the store to stock the house with good proteins and veggies and here's where I need a little help:

• broccolli? to eat or not to eat that is the question. I saw it on a don't eat list but when I looked up the carb content of a serving it was the same as green beans. Can that be? What's the scoop with that?
    Does anyone have a good Heller recommended reference for determining if a veg is a good CM choice? Every chart I see seems to contradict itself.
    Recommendations on dressings or dips for the veggies or resources

If one of the Heller books covers this let me know and I'll go hunt it down...I haven't finished rereading the original but I skimmed some of it and didn't see it there.

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I want to prepare to succeed. Which means starting this probably tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond. Your story will help inspire me...
Tanya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 08:11
Registered Member

BF:

Today, I take back my life and my body. Food you will be my energy but not my enemy.

I did it. I started today. For everyone who is starting today, or continuing today, make it a terrific and well planned day.

After a run to the supermarket the house is stocked with proteins and veggies I can eat for CM meals.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 13:57
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

YAY!!!!! Welcome- I'm sorrry I didn't post yeaterday- had a computer malfunction.

Tanya- I developed my insulin resistance during a pregnancy. I was overweight/normal as a kid even if mother thought I was fat- on diets from 13-18. At 18 I said NO MORE- and did great until 2nd pregnancy. Then felt lousy and never lost the 25 lbs I gained. Went up every year.

CALP is my plan. I eat any green veggie for cm and rm. Peas are not a green veggie- they are a legume. The list the Hellers have for "Craving reducing' veggies is good- and in their new book on stress eating the list is even longer.

Protein and veggies are your friend. COme post lots-
E
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 241/225/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyabee
Today, I take back my life and my body. Food you will be my energy but not my enemy.

I did it. I started today. For everyone who is starting today, or continuing today, make it a terrific and well planned day.

After a run to the supermarket the house is stocked with proteins and veggies I can eat for CM meals.

I officially start back tomorrow! I have had so many ups and downs since one month ago. Emotionally, physically that whole bit! Plus I think I am having signs of peri-menapose which is really messing with my body. The cravings are more intense than ever! tomorrow, I am starting too!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

E- thanks for the enthusiastic welcome and the tips!

Carolyn...welcome back! I can't wait to see your journey!