Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 241/225/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Why I have been gone for a month..

As some of you know I vowed to recommit to CALP over a month ago.

Well, some people I know starting doing raw/vegan and juicing diet. They have done wonderfully. I read up on it, and read all the health benefits, how wonderful it is to eat like that, etc...

So I went out and bought a juicer, and have been spending twice as much money per week on all kinds of fruits, vegies, etc..

I did okay for a couple of weeks. Got down to 221. But then my cat was killed by a pitbull on my front porch on 2/23 and I have been spirialing out of control ever since. I am up to 230 now. Each and every day, I vowed to start the raw/vegan diet. However, I have cravings each and every day which only get worse. I have been depressed, anxious, eating out of control, and going to bed early every night.

I am really angry at myself and frustrated that I cannot be a "raw/vegan" and live this glorious life that so many seem to have that eat like this...(not that CALP is not glorious, but you know what i mean?

This morning I woke up and felt like if I did not get some protien in me, i'd litearlly DIE! So I ate two fried eggs, and some Trader Joes, chicken sausages, and finally feel satiated...

I just need to vent, and I am going to start CALP again..

Have any of you felt depressed or frustrated that your body feels like it's failed you????

~Carolyn on the California Coast~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 11:46
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

I'm so very sorry to hear about your cat. I would probably have a similar reaction. ;(

I'm glad that you have decided not to eat vegan though. It is a nutritionally inferior diet that can cause a whole host of health problems in the short and the long term. Our bodies are designed to eat animals and we thrive on a diet that includes animal produce.

I have only ever felt depressed about me failing my body, not the other way round.

Good luck on your journey. I know you have made the right decision for your health.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 15:15
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Carly-

here is the deal- there is always going to be a new book, new diet, new diet guru. You have to find what is best for you. You can't eat LC then do vegan juicing. It is like saying I figured out my body really likes breathing oxygen but I want to try carbon monoxode. If you believe that LC is the right thing for your body than eating only sugar/veggies/grains won't work. Period. I am not going to tiptoe around this- I have been on this board since 12/2003 and could not even begin to keep track of how many people say "I know I felt the best in my whole life on this low carb plan (fill in the blank) but I had a friend who told me/wanted to lose faster/missed eating fruit/just wanted to so I left LC and tried WW/low fat/juicing/ Nutrasystem......." take your pick. Then there is the email "I'm back and even heavier... I'm back at my heaviest.... I'm back and wish I never left..."

Carly, I am not being harsh- I am giving you my honest opinion. I don't care what you eat- I really don't - I have never met you and probably never will. But I REALLY care about what I eat- every minute of every day I care about MY BODY. MY BODY cannot eat the SAD, or vegan, or low fat. My body likes low carb. I eat a CALP plan because it works for my lifestyle- but the crucial point is Low Carb.

I really don't care what I weigh- my weight is symptomatic of my overall health and wellbeing. I made a COMMITMENT to MYSELF 7/2003 that I would do whatever it took to be healthy- and this is it.

So make a commitment to YOURSELF.YOU NEED TO CARE ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU EAT AND YOUR BODY. DECIDE what YOU want/need. There is no cheating, there is no don't do it right. DO IT FOR YOU- NO ONE ELSE. YOU have to be the most important person in your life- you have to be your advocate and champion.

We can only help you- give you support and info- we can't do it for you. I said before that I don't care what you eat- but obviously I care enough about YOU to write this post.

I am very sorry about your cat, but if your loss and shock somehow was translated into eating emotionally, please get help for that. There is always going to be a loss, or stress, or tragedy in life- and happiness, joy and celebration. We all need to figure out how to eat and fuel our bodies but not use food as a way to deal with feelings. I wish I had the magic words to fix that- sorry. But you CAN do it- really. Really really really- believe in YOU.

hth-
E
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 19:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Eno,

Well I gave the vegan almost raw diet 2 more days and I ended up binging on chips tonight. It's like I had a physical reaction that if I did not get carbs into me i'd burst at the seams. I can only imagine what a drug addict must feel like.

Stopped by trader joes and bought some Low carb foods. I already have tons of vegies and frozen meats, canned tunna etc...so I can start CALP tomorrow.

I have about 6 pineapples however sitting on my counter! LOL guess my kids will be eating plenty of pineapple!

At this point I want to FEEL better and in control, so im not even going to weigh myself till April 1st. Honestly, it's not about the weight anymore, it's about being in control
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 02:10
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

You might want to check out the book The Vegetarian Myth and this website Voracious Eats.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblong
You might want to check out the book The Vegetarian Myth and this website Voracious Eats.

Thanks! I will read that!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 14:54
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Carly-
you have to do what is right for you- I hope that the "feeling in control" that you get with LC kicks in fast- and then you can make some decisions.
We're here-
E