Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 22:33

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Default Food Network TV/Low carb revolution

Tonight, January 4, 2004, the Food Network TV had a great hour show on low carbing. It featured a low carb chef George Stella and many low carb success stories. It was a great show to watch and was nice to see it featured. He even met a couple "forum" members at a restaurant that he had never met before, so I was curious as to which forum. I did some searching and found
www.lowcarbchefs.com and it matched the look of the forum they showed. I will browse around in it a little bit and see what it is like. It was a much smaller forum then ours and of course not so intricate.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 11:37

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I saw the show as well and thought - for the most part - it presented a good overview of the low-carb lifestyle and successes people have experienced. I found it odd, however, that a show designed to somewhat promote the lifestyle (Stella will have a low-carb series beginning in April on Food Network) would feature several negative interviews which weren't well refuted!

It's not that the opposing point of view was presented - it should have been - but where were the nutritionists/doctors who support a low-carb diet??? The one gentleman they featured (his name escapes me) presented a pretty good "gloom-and-doom" scenario for those cutting their carbs. I kept waiting for someone to say "while some people think a low-carb diet is unhealthy, it's actually not, and here's why..."

Unfortunately, it never came...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 12:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/209/140 Female 66 inches
BF:38%/38%/25%
Progress:

I too saw the show and had mixed feelings about it. But a quick FYI... all this week on Food Network is on health and diet. They have been advertising several low-carb shows this coming week. So check your local listings and Happy LCing!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 12:26

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I absolutely agree that it wasn't a totally well balanced show. One thing I did think was odd was they kept saying "low carb or no carb diet".....however, we all know it is not no carb and never should be. I guess the change will happen, however slowly it may be. At least it is out there. I think Karen should try to be a guest on one of the Stella's shows....
Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

George said on his forum that he's going to getting a cooking show on Foodnetwork in the spring.