Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%
Talking Wellbutrin SR and Over 30 lbs. Gone Forever

I have been on Wellbutrin SR 300 mg. a day since August, 2002. On various anti-depressants for the last nine years. On all the anti-depressant, except Wellburtin SR) I gained a lot of weight despite dieting and exercising. When I started Atkins in January (after several failures), I was very concerned regarding how this would affect my weight loss.

I am pleased to say that I have finally hit the 150s. I have not been in the 150s since 1999. I have been averaging 2 lbs. a week loss, feel great and have no desire to go back to my old eating habits. I have 24 lbs. to go, but I may re-think my goal, because I am wearing size 8-10. I may change my goal to 140 or 145.

I have stuck to mostly natural/unprocessed foods and exercise six days a week.

I would like to thank those that have been very encouraging. Especially those that have reached their goal. They are the real experts and can lend valuable advice based on there success and failures. Adjusting to this WOE has not been easy.

There has been many discussions regarding whether to count calories or not. For me, watching calories was crucial in order to undo years of bad eating habits. I needed to determine the amount of calories my body needed to stay healthy. I noticed that I lost more when I ate 10 to 12 times my goal weight (1350 to 1620 calories a day). I tried not watching my calories closely and was averaging 1600 to 1800 calories a day (using fitday.com). When I ate the upper range I saw zero weight loss or .5 lbs. a week, when I was below that range (not on purpose, just too busy to eat or not hungry), I also lost more. Even though slow weight loss is desired, I am ready to get to goal and work on maintenance.

What is great and frustrating about this WOE is that it is so individually based and everyone has to find the right combination that will work with your body-type. This is not a one size fits all and we must be careful when comparing ourselves to others.

I am so ready to continue this WOE. I hope those that have reached goal will continue to give sound advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 06:38

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started on Wellbutrin last week (to quit smoking). Could you clarify something for me??

Were you saying that you had no weight gain problems with Wellbutrin like you had with other antidepressants, or were you saying that the Wellbutrin helped you to lose weight?? Sorry I'm so dumb

I really liked your post, by the way. I've been wondering about calories (should I care and how much should I care), exercise, etc.

Thanks for telling us what you did, it's a great guide to follow!

Take care,

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%

I have tried approximately five other anti-depressants and they ALL caused at least 50 lbs. weight gain. I have been exercising for 12 years now and despite exercising, I had a difficult time losing weight. IMHO, Wellbutrin SR has helped me to lose the weight and to give me self-control.

Wellbutrin SR has been known to help some with weight loss. You can check out their website for more info.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Last edited by igaligal7 : Tue, May-13-03 at 08:27.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 01:32

BF:

I hear ya about the weight gain. After my 3rd son, I had really bad postpartem depression and I took Paxil. It worked, but I gained a lot of weight. I'd only gained 23 lbs while pregnant and within 3 weeks had lost that and 15 lbs more (the only advantage to depression is loss of appetite ). Within less than 6 months I gained 35 lbs.

Thanks for answering my question. Also, I found your previous entry really informative. I plan to step up my exercise and really make that a priority. I went tonight before coming to work.

Nicole
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 17:30

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Nicole, I took Wellbutrin about a year and a half ago, and put on 20 lbs!!!! Be careful!!!! I had never gained weight before, unless pregnant and that was a big gain. Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 02:53

BF:

well, the wellbutrin was a bust. It triggered anxiety attacks, depression, etc for over 3 weeks. Will never touch that stuff again. Guess I'll have to go with the patch only, unless something new comes out that may help with quitting.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Nicole