Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 11:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Sweet potatoes

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...t-potatoes.html

I wouldn't recommend them for folks trying to lose weight but maybe once one gets to goal, not such a bad thing!

I love putting sweet potatoes in Thai curry. I think I used Prik Kingh curry paste with them. But a yellow curry would be nice too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 13:25

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

I love sweet potatoes and eat them regularly. Last week I ate taro for the first time, which is really good as well. Less sweet than sweet potatoes and more flavourful than regular potatoes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 15:06
Experimenter

BF:

Isn't it taro root that you have to cook in a certain way or it'll make your tongue go numb? Oh yeah, it has calcium oxalate.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 16:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I thought I hated sweet potatoes because the first time I tried them was when my mom made some kind of marshmallow monstrosity out of them. Blech. But then I tried them prepared by my SIL, and they were fabulous. Fry up a hint of garlic and some onion with butter, ghee, CO or whatever other cooking fat. Add just a hint of Indian curry powder (you don't want that to be the main flavour), thyme and rosemary plus thinly-sliced sweet potato. Put a lid on it and let it cook gently until soft. Delicious.

...and then there are those sweet potato fries with garlic mayo at the ball park, but we won't talk about those.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 17:06
Experimenter

BF:

Just roasting them in the oven, like a baked potato and they're really good that way.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 18:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Isn't it taro root that you have to cook in a certain way or it'll make your tongue go numb? Oh yeah, it has calcium oxalate.

Yes. Some stupid raw vegans eat raw taro, but it's a very bad idea. I steamed them first, then peeled the skin off, sliced them and roasted the slices with olive oil. Very good. Cooking completely dissolves the crystals and, according to the Wikipedia, you can also steep the roots in cold water overnight.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 18:32
Experimenter

BF:

I just remember it from some cooking competition on HGTV I watched once. I think it made their tongues itch or something. *lol*
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 18:36

BF:

Quote:
I just remember it from some cooking competition on HGTV I watched once. I think it made their tongues itch or something. *lol*

That's why I steamed them before peeling. I don't want to touch the raw flesh.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 19:20
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

While I haven't eaten much in the way of sweet potatoes, I will say that they are like some sort of 'mystery' food for me. This is because whenever I've had a bit of sweet potato, nothing happens - I don't gain weight, I don't get horrible cravings or anything. Very, very surprising.

No, I haven't tested this idea too much, but I will say that in my experience, the sweet potato is not necessarily a diet-wrecker. Surprisingly, they have turned out to be almost neutral. Very satisfying, too.

I guess I can't really say for sure, since I've had sweet potato maybe all of six times in the past two years, but I can say that for me - they don't "do" anything. No cravings, no weight gain, no stall issues. Nothing.

Again - it's not like I eat sweet potato very often at all. Thing is? I'm surprised to note that they seem totally fine.

I'm definitely interested in hearing what everyone else thinks. I don't quite trust that they are 'ok', even though my limited experience is showing me that they are.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 19:25
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Just roasting them in the oven, like a baked potato and they're really good that way.

Something to try...

Wash/scrub the sweet potato, pat it dry. Slice it up very thinly (cross-ways), leaving the skin on, and pan-fry in a smidge of coconut oil. Toss in some cinnamon, or just wait until they're done and sprinkle with some sea salt. Share with someone else (ie. you're only eating 1/2 or 1/3 of a whole sweet potato).

Very good!

Basically, it's very thin slices of 'sweet potato home fries' done in coconut oil. Very, very good. You don't need a lot, since it's so satisfying. Tried, tested and approved ...twice.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 19:33
Experimenter

BF:

I'm going to try metering my BG after eating some and see what happens.

Your recipe sounds wonderful, Citrus!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 20:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Stephan makes me nervous. I always worry I'll read one too many of his posts, and end up trying to ferment oatmeal.

I like sweet potato, but somehow I never seem to want that much of it.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-29-10, 00:18
Experimenter

BF:

Nooo, grains are ebil! Even fermenting doesn't cure their ebilness.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-29-10, 05:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Nooo, grains are ebil! Even fermenting doesn't cure their ebilness.

Half my family is celiac or gluten intolerant. My mother is schizophrenic. I can't even walk by corn husks in the supermarket without feeling itchy skin and throat. Actually husking corn gives me hives. Same thing with walking past people just cutting their lawns. (The itchy, not the hives.) So actually eating something that comes from a grass, I'm not really sure I should ever do that.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-29-10, 09:15
Experimenter

BF:

Oats are usually really bad for celiacs and gluten intolerant people too, so if you have that you should stay away from oats.