Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:37

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 100/88/80
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default is CAD Ketogenic?

Hi there!

Im on Atkins and doing ok, just having a browse and thought it ask this question before i buy the book.

Is CAD a ketogenic diet? And how does it compare to a 20g LC diet?

Is it basicly LC breakfast and lunch? and whatever for dinner!

Im sorry i havnt read the book, and i know i wouldnt have these qustions if i had but i just decided to look into CAD today! and havnt got to the library.

Also anyone tryed Atkins and CAD? whats the pros/cons?

-jake
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jake, if you're interested in CAD you can get a brief overview of the plan and a typical day's menus by clicking on the link on the right of every page entitled "Which LC plan is right for me?" - CAD is reviewed among many others.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 08:28

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Hey Nat!!

I ask you this because you've always given me very wise, open minded answers : what's your personal opinion of CAD? I don't know if you've tried it or not, but being such an expert on all things LC i wanted to know your opinion from a a scientific point of view!

Thanks so much!
Choc
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 09:01
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

CAD is not ketogenic. It does control your insulin and blood glucose levels however. It also controls diabetes and lowers cholesterol. The weight loss is slower than Atkins, generally 1-2 pounds/week. On the plan, you have two low carb meals with the option of a low carb snack and then you are allowed a balanced reward meal which contains carbohydrates.

The diet is for carbohydrate addicts whose insulin levels react abnormally to the presence of carbs or even more than 4 meals/day.

Many people give CAD a try when they find Atkins too restrictive or that the 6 meals a day spike their insulin or to fit in with their lifestyle.

I have SAD which affects me in the winter and I tend to gain weight and have strong cravings then. So I use Atkins early spring through late fall when I lose weight easiest and CAD late fall through early spring to control cravings and maintain weight loss or lose a little more. I use CAD mainly for control.

Hope it helps?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 00:16

BF:
Default Hi Zuleikaa!

What's SAD?

Thanks for your complete reply...

Bye
Choc
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 10:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

SAD is the acronym for seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

Here is a link SAD to an explanation of SAD and this is the Forum for it on this website.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 03:28

BF:
Default HEY THAT'S ME!!!!

I don't want to do any self-diagnosis here, but that just describes me to a T !!! I work in an underground offica, so as soon as autumn comes it's dark when I walk into my office and it's dark when I come out... I practically see the sunshine about half an hour at lunch time ... and since the end of summer I've been really down, have stopped going to the gym, I get home and I hog.out on the sofa which obviously doesn't help the general situation.

So from today I'm going outside for my coffee breaks and I'll go for a walk at lunch time. Fortunately today's a wonderfully sunny day, which will make it just that much easier to break the cycle.

Maybe I'll even manage to get back on plan....

Funny how much better I feel now that I finally found a cause for my blues (I have an otherwise very happy life, and decent self-esteem so I really couldn't make out a reason for all this foot-dragging!!).

I don't suppose LC helps with this too, does it???

Thanks everyone!!
Choc
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 07:05
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hey Choc

Isn't it great when you figure out that you're not crazy or an emotional wreck/crybaby naturally! That there is an actual chemical cause that you can't help. Sometimes I would be so deep into depression and driving myself crazy trying to figure out why that my sister would have to be the one to tell me that it was time for my light, even if it were late August! Normally I'm an upbeat, look on the bright side, it must be meant kind of person.

LC plans do help the cravings and emotional swings and lethargy that arises naturally with SAD. Also sitting under special lights or halogen lamps for 20-30 minutes in the mornings.

Some find that exercise also helps. It helps me if I can force myself to do it!

CAD keeps you in control, yet allows you to satisfy the cravings. It is not easy being a carb addict anyway and then having chemically induced cravings on top of that. Get back on plan! Plan your Reward Meal in detail! Allow yourself all the treats you want (in a balanced way!). Dream about your reward meal if necessary. And consider, when someone offers you cake at work is the wonderful reward meal you've planned better than instant gratification. You can always keep plastic storage bags and containers in your desk and take whats offered home with you to add to your reward meal later. I've done this many times. Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I wind up throwing it away. The important this is to give yourself the choice while sticking to plan!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 07:28

BF:
Talking

Thanks for your kind and energetic support Zuleikaa!!! A good shove is all I need sometimes .. a positive shove that is (trying on trousers in a shop and seeing the old fat size doesn't fit any more is a rotten negative shove!!).

With this knowledge, today is already brighter than yesterday, I've found a few excuses to walk across to the company building opposite and catch some rays and guess what: no mid-morning sugar cravings!! Cool! I don't suppose it'll always be that easy but it's a good start!! And after work I've planned some very late spring cleaning and shopping in the street shops instead of the mall.

My reward meal is generally going to be lunch (I eat at a pizzeria during lunch break and eat dinner alone) and so I'm all raring to go!! This evening I'll do some LC shopping!!

Oh good for me!!! (I actually feel a bit silly being so pleased about suffering from a form of depression )

Thanks some more
I'll read you around
Choc