Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 07:20

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 193/184.2/140 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Hi Everyone, this is me!

Hi everyone! I came across the low carb way of eating in the form of Atkins years ago. My husband took it on board and lost quite a bit of weight. Im happy to say at that time I didn't really need to lose weight. I wasn't slim, but I was reasonably happy with myself. At the time i wasn't impressed with Atkins!! I was a newly qualified nurse and was indoctrinated into the medical profession's opinion of it being 'bad' for you! It went against everything I had been taught and was following in my practise.
Anyway fast forward 20 or so years and here I am following something very similar. Its still a bit foreign to me, but i have done so much research recently to ensure I fully understand the LCHF concept that I can rationalise my inbred fear of fat!!
I have fibromyalgia and I'm about 25kg overweight so I think its worth a try to see if I can benefit from the fat loss and anti-inflammatory results.
I started this way of eating about a week ago and seem to be doing ok. I bought some ketostix and although I understand their accuracy is dubious, I need some kind of measuring tool to confirm that what I'm doing is on the right path. Im tracking my macro intake fastidiously, again a control thing, but i figure it can do no harm. It has made me realise that keeping within my protein goal is an ongoing challenge!!
No Keto flu at this point and my mental clarity is great!

So thats me for now, I look forward to getting to know you guys, and am excited about getting into the expertise that's within these pages!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 07:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Welcome Mrs. C !
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Welcome Mrs C!

I read a biography about Dr. Atkins and he loved reading current research. He didn't invent that our bodies run better without carbs but he put it all together. I saw a movie of him going to talk at medical schools and all the students would sit eating donuts during his talk. He had a hard time while in college at Cornell because people were anti-semitic. I think maybe that's where he developed the character to never let the nay sayers stop him.

I'm super passionate that Joseph Lister and Robert Atkins should have been awarded Nobel prizes!

I work in research and develped diabetes at the age of 32, my drs gave me the ADA handouts that said to eat 100s of carbs, no caffeine and walk everyday. Luckily some of the pHDs I worked with gave me research papers that showed not eating carbs was what worked. That's what I did and the diabetes went away.

I just want to encourage you that science is in no way wrong with this foodplan and wish you the best!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 04:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Westman was the first researcher to do a modern clinical trial of the low carb diet based on Atkins' clinic (there have been others many through history) in 2002, and since it has been easier to get funding. You will find much new science on LC for weight loss and diabetes (any of Gary Taubes Books) why the fear of fat was misplaced ( Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teichloz). Some lists to check: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb (Part6 science) and https://phcuk.org/rcts/ (Evidence in RCTs) and our own Research forum here. I can’t think of a study specifically about fibromyalgia but have certainly read success stories on DD, here and especially on the WheatBelly site also, with patients who eliminate every bit of wheat hidden in their diet. https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Fibromyalgia+

All the best,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 03:53

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 193/184.2/140 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks everyone! Thanks Nawchem, Yes all the research I have done continues to indicate that VLC is the way to go for weight loss and other benefits, so I'm excited for it to start kicking in. Janet, for ages I thought wheat may have been a contributing factor for my fibromyalgia. In November last year I followed an elimination diet for 6 weeks and I felt no better off wheat, and had no adverse effects when I reintroduced heat back into my diet. I've commenced a new drug which helps my body to heal and I've been feeling heaps better so I'm hoping, if/when I see results from this eating plan, I'm on my way to being almost back to my old self!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 06:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/285/200 Male 190cm
BF:
Progress:

Your Welcom, good luck for diet.