Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1006   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 09:15

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Fels Naptha!!!!!

Nic, I just smiled and smiled when I saw that. I use that too! I have a bar down by my laundry room and one in the bathroom. Amazing for getting stains out. I have used it since I was first married. An older lady in our church told me about it. I was using Shout at that time. She said never use anything that you can't watch the stains go!!!

Oh my. Can't believe how much I am smiling about this!

Will be back later. I have to read posts more in depth.

January thaw here for a few days! Yes!

K-Mom 10x4
Sponsored Links
  #1007   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 09:35

BF:
Progress:

ROAST

If anyone else wants to chime in with what they add to their roast, that would be great. I am not a very good cook. I cut up the onion and put it on top, then added the gravy, then sprinkled on some Mrs. Dash and TJ's Everyday Seasoning, and some garlic powder. Not sure if I was supposed to measure those.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how LC the gravy was. Three carbs for 1/4 cup.

My So-in-law picked it up for me. He texted me from the grocery store and wanted to know what kind. He said there was chicken, pork, turkey, mushroom and beef. That made me think maybe I could use the other ones for something. I love sauces on my meat. I think that is why I like Chicken Lazone so much.
  #1008   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 10:32

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

HOUSEBOUND and Loving it! We did get the ice- and did we ever! It has shut down Atlanta. Flights and all. There is 1/2 inch ice and 3-4 inches of snow on top of that.

Then we are supposed to have small melt only to nosedive temp to refreeze tomorrow. Tomorrow might be work from home as well.
They are also saying the paramedics with chains on tires can't go anywhere. Hospitals are keeping night shift because day shift can't get there and on and on- there is a 10 car pile up on 85, and that is just one of hundreds of accidents.

The local news- has stayed on. Nobody is going anywhere. We all have power and computers and all is well.

I will work some on homework and some on work work .

TRIG- I am shocked you didn't get ice??????? Really????? Wow--lucky you! Do you have a Kroger near you? That is where the crab legs are on sale right now.

Yup- why would I want sweets over crab????? Is the hubby feeling better? Guess so if you are all bored! Maybe you could play a game together! Ya know interact! HAHAHAHAHAHA- If you can pull the kiddo from her computer! Good luck with that!

What are ya making for dinner?

Leeann- Your pj's sound cozy! I just heated my wings up in the microwave from the day before. They are not as good as fresh- but they do hit the spot. I am sorta addicted to them now! Do you get a frozen bag that are naked? Do you thaw yours?

I am interested in how you like your GYM! You and Lori inspire me!
Are you not trapped in the house with snow either????? Then it would be night!

Way to go BTW on few more pounds down! You are definitely Capt. D strong of late!
So do you cook when the hubby outta town?

COOL beans on the Orlando trip! Does that park have the LEGO LAND? I also would love to see the Harry Potter one as well. I could get lost for a few days there! I know it's ripping $$$$$$$- good job on saving some airfare. You will need it for the parks!

Blue- I love those old shirts that our favorite men wore! Very special!
WTG on your loss and finding something that works for you! Hand onto that as long as you can! Don't fix what isn't broken!

I too love some of the fun things we chat about! You sound really WARRIOR CaptD Strong these days lady! I think we have turned the corner.
I also think what helps is finding old things we loved in the beginning and pulling them back out to be again favored!

Lori- Ok my friend- this crappy weather will not be around forever!
Glad your tummy anyway feeling better! I agree with LEEANN- turn up the lights- very bright. Buy some flowers. Watch a BEACH MOVIE! You will be feeling right as rain in a few days when you are back in boot camp!

How fun to get yet another fun box to open! Guess ya gotta keep a part time gig to support the clothes! HAHAHAHAH

KMOM- Are you recouping from your weekend with the "kids"?
I am going to just start over Monday with the water.I have pretty much back slid on this one this week!

Are you still enjoying your pizza's?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Feeling great. Although today will be my yearly measurements.
I take them every year in Jan and compare then every 6 months. Just a nice gage and tool. - Very telling as well.

Yup- house bound today. But will be doing chicken strips/ or stirfry.
Another day of getting to do one meal a day! Works for me. Although I have deviled eggs and salami as a quick grab if needed and call it a day.

Yup- still house hunting.

School in full swing and I am too! Just taking each day as another stitch in my life quilt! Purpose- one day/ Stitch at a time.

Working from home as Atlanta is basically shut down. Plan to work from home tomorrow as well. Could get used to this- a little more laid back. 1/2 inch ice/ 4 inches snow .

On plan Stan today!!!!! I too am feeling lighter. Not getting on scales until Monday- !

Ok Ladies- House bound and all I KNOW spring is around the corner! HOW? BECAUSE TRIG BOUGHT A SWIMSUIT!
  #1009   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 10:34

BF:

KMOM-
I pretty much went with what TRIG wrote.
I however SEAR my roast first- drop it into IP/ OR slow cooker. Onion powder/ garlic fresh or powder, carrots for flavor and celery for flavor. 1 jar gravy- It makes gravy too. YUM
  #1010   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 13:22

BF:
Progress:

Lori:
Oh my gosh....I cracked up at your jammies description! Fuzzy socks only! Glad you are feeling a little better. It is so good you recognize you deal with SAD. Like Trig said...the weather WILL change...but it will be a while! You really do well with those clothing subscription boxes. And think of all the time it saves you shopping! It intrigues me how they get to know what kind of clothes you might want! Say, can you share that seared salmon recipe? Your pork chop recipe is now a staple for me.

Nic:
I like most of Kirkland's brands also. I always buy there albacore. I don't think I can switch to Duke's mayo. I think I will just need to count the carbs from Hellman's. I love the taste of it mixed with tuna! Let me know if you remember that relish you like. Trip with your sons sounds fun. You sure know how to get the deals! Hope you enjoyed the movie today. I want to see "The Greatest Showman" - but wondering if there is a ton of music in it. If so, probably would not be good for SD since she is deaf.

Will post more later.
  #1011   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 14:25

BF:

LADIES!!!!!!!!

I put in offer:
2126 Executive drive Duluth Ga

Now I wait

OMG I can't stand it
heart is beating hard
fingers crossed
  #1012   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 15:47

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

OMG Jaz!!!!! How exciting!! Hope you hear soon! I know you'll keep us informed!

KMom.....for the salmon I just put olive oil & butter in a pan....get it fairly hot, put the fillets in, skin side down, salt & pepper the fillets & put a bit of lemon juice. Let cook for 2-3 minutes depending on thickness and then flip to other side for a couple minutes. Easy! I'm also making DH parsley potatoes & some green peas. I'm really not "feeling" salmon tonight, so not sure if I'll partake. He'll also have some of the fruit salad I made over the weekend.

I did a little laundry today and that's it. It got up to around 40 degrees this afternoon and now back down to 10 tonight. Crazy!

How are things in Atlanta Jaz? Still iced over?
  #1013   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 20:41

BF:
Progress:

Jaz:
Yes! Hoping you get the house. Must be something you liked immediately! How do I look it up and see it?

I still love my pizzas. I crave them everyone once in a while, but try to only have one a week. I bought 50 of them! They fill the need for me to have pizza once in a while.

SD is 25 years old. Same as her boyfriend.

Man, that is some nasty weather you guys have down there. We are having some really warm weather for us....up to 40 on Friday. But then there's talk of a biggie of a snowstorm Sunday night into Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions for the roast. It is now going to be one of my go-to's. That gravy was amazing. I added some celery like you suggested, but otherwise followed Trig's directions. I wasn't sure how long to cook it, so I cooked it on low in slow cooker for six hours. I had it with rice! That's right. But that would be riced cauliflower! Really seems like rice to me!

Wait! If you are house bound today, how did you see that house? Is it one you saw before? I am confused.

I would have to say I am CapD also. Feels so good.

K-Mom 10x4
  #1014   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 20:45

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

What the heck, Jaz!!! When did you see this property? Today? I thought you hadn't seen anything you liked yet. Did you put an offer in sight unseen?
It looks very nice from the pictures!

KMOM- regarding The Greatest Showman.. there is definitely music in it but not a ton and what music there is has so much going on visually that she might still like it. If you can read the storyline ahead of time and explain it to her, that might be adequate to carry her through it.

Yep, fels naptha is the bomb!! I grate it up and add washing soda, borax, baking soda and oyclean for a homemade laundry soap.

How was the roast? Was it yummy?

Jaz- Sounds like ATL is pretty shut down. Ice is bad though. I have a friend who lives out in the Kennesaw area and they lost two cars in the last snow storm from branches falling on them, and then I guess they had a minor accident in their Leaf today. So it has been bad for them this winter!

Wings- Yes I get the big bag of frozen ones. Thaw, pat dry, shake the baking soda rub on them and then cook them in the oven. To reheat, I put about six on a plate, a minute and a half at 30% power just to start to get them warmed up, then broil them on a baking stone, turning once. Yum! That was my dinner tonight.

For the kids and I, we won't need much money for the parks. We are spending one night there, otherwise we are doing volunteering for four days (2 days per kid) at Give Kids the World Village.

How did the measurements go?

See you all in the morning- home now from taking DS16 to his band lesson and I am wiped out!

PS- Went to see I, Tonya using my Moviepass today. It has already paid for itself with this one movie.
  #1015   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 20:50

BF:
Progress:

Blue:
Possibly a big snowstorm coming Sunday night into Monday. Tried to read back to see when your hubby is leaving. I kind of think Sunday night. Will someone shovel for you?

I so want to be like you when I grow up. I want to be close to goal like you are and be able to splurge and just enjoy every minute of it. I want to be able to just let go and then be right back on track again. You have proved you can do it again and again. And two pounds down from weight before you left! Man, oh man! So great!

Glad the shake thing is working out so well for you.

Trig:
I made it! The roast! I loved it! I am interested in more ways you add "taste" to your meats. This one is a real winner!

Did you see the Star Wars movie?

I really enjoyed what you guys shared about generic vs. brand name and also about how you buy store brands. I want to write down some it the things I learned.

Back is better! So thankful. May try the treadmill in a few days.

K-Mom 10x4
  #1016   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 06:10

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Another cold....no...frigid morning. I could stand it if you could step outside without falling on your a$$ on the ice. Depressed much? I do have to go out this afternoon to work from 12:45 - 5:30. I know you all are tired of hearing me whine about the weather. I'll try to suck it up buttercup!

Jaz...we need details on the place you made an offer on! I hope everything falls into place for you.

I am intrigued by this roast with gravy in the crock pot that you all are doing. I am always in a quandary about what cut of beef to buy. I believe you all used a chuck roast? I will check at the meat market this weekend.

Have a great day everyone!
  #1017   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 07:23

BF:

Good Morning Ladies!

KMOM- You can go to either Realtor.com or Zillow- and just plug in the address. I know fingers crossed.
I found your Brand vs Generic question. Seems I am more of a certain must have Brand then generic. But then again I rarely buy lots of food in a box or bag or can. I will say I did think of you when I opened my Kerrygold butter. Won't buy anything else. You bought 50 pizza packs- OMG that is funny! But hey I get it they pay for themselves due to low carb!

I didn't know your SD was 25, and her BF! Does he live in the same home? That is sweet she connected with him.

So you have your new treadmill now? YAY on that. You keep right on feeling CapD!

Leeann- I have no doubt your friends have had a rough winter here. It has been rough for being in the south. This would not even be news worthy in Ohio- but here yes! They are not equipped to handle winter. Yes still patches of ice. I will get to work this morning when I get there. I will leave about 730-8. I want daylight.

The townhouse I saw on Tue- I saw 4 that day. I just sorta kept thinking about that one. I love the area, and after thinking about it for that unit if I can get it for the price I offered I will be happy. But I didn't give them full price because it is close to the highway. So close I can hear cars. But also I was thinking part of that could be that the trees don't have leaves yet for a sound barrier.

Sounds like you are just getting your mojo back in full swing! So inspiring to watch!

Lori- Are you still house bound? I think I am able to get out today. Are you working this week? - So are you doing 2 boxed clothing lines? I think it's neat you are finding some stuff to keep. I need to try stuff on.
I also am not in the mood for shopping just yet- maybe in the Spring. I love to go spring shopping for new dresses. I love dresses!

Blue- Hey is this the week your hubby gone? Are you looking at condos as well? I don't mind steps at this point in my life. I don't think what I buy is going to be my forever home. I may keep it and rent it out. I have tumbled however steps more than I like to admit. I would need to take that carpet off- or at least be mindful and not rush around.

Are you loving your shakes still? Keep it up!

Trig- is the kiddo still off again today? Did you get the ice? What on your dinner menu?!
-------------------------------------------------------
So just as I was running out the door I get a text the office is closed! OK- back into yoga pants and long tee shirt and bath robe- full hair and makeup done! HAHAHAH- I don't mind.

It mean I can do some school reading and start my next unit of school. It also means I can do my one meal. I am thinking - not sure what I want today. I have hamburgers thawed. Tried the Bubba burgers. Not bad- they are juicy and thick. I think I will go with that. I have some guacamole for a topping, and deviled eggs.

Ok- I need to run. I should find out today if I am a home owner or not. I am not going to come up much on my offer. I pretty much have the take it or leave it mode.

On TRACK - CaptD mode.
  #1018   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 07:56

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

KM it sounds like your roast came out fabulous and the gravy is a great point to this whole thing in that it gives that 'homey comfort' feeling meal ya know and like you said it is very lc so you get a good meal plus don't go overboard on the carby end of it all.

Cook time, six hrs, yup I can see that cause I do mine about 3-4 hrs on high
I never want to wait but it boils down to after like 3 hrs I check it and I want only the very softest meat that flakes apart so when it hits that level it is ready for me....and wonderful to re-heat! I am not a re-heat eating person for many things but this one is a fab re-heater meal.

Jaz, so cool you put in an offer, I will go off and check.

How long of a drive to work?

No Krogers here darn it. Cause if there was I would be off buying a ton of legs for the freezer for sure!

Horrible weather huh? Nothing like the South being warm, NOT! and the snows over the years are getting worse for sure. bleck to it all

Lori sorry you got the bad icy stuff also around. Luckily we didn't get icy. Hold strong cause no kidding the weather has to bust a bit and be more decent, doesn't it? One can only hope but for us going into FEB is our worse month coming in our winter down here so...ugh

Nicco ahhh the wings sound wonderful. 8 lbs is a ton of wings for sure but great reheats tho. yum. I now got wings on my radar cause you been chatting them up

Hey all
no 1 inch of friggin snow, we got like 5 inches of friggin snow

fluffy and light, no ice. so waiting for it all to stinking melt as fast as it can!

kiddo off school today again
probably tomorrow also or at least a 3 hr delay happening.

hubby got lucky being his days off from work so he hasn't had to drive in this mess.

just doing this and that thru the house. nothing major. we are all in that house bound bored kinda mood. MIGHT be enough snow on the roads to take out the ATV and fly up and down the street on the sled. Will check in a bit on that cause if we can we have to do it NOW or it will melt off very fast and no ATV sledding, but we like doing that so will check.

No movie, the place was closed and closed today. Everything is shut down here.

Cold. Too cold for me!! This winter is a toughie. Getting very very very lazy. I literally now just want to hibernate and not move and so far I am not moving hardly thru my day. oh well..
  #1019   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 08:31

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

You guys down south are really getting hammered this year! Wow!

I have a frozen pot roast that I am going to pull out for next week and try this roast with gravy that you all are raving about. I will be over having chicken by the end of this week!

Jaz- I am glad you went and looked at the place. I was freaking out a little with you saying you were housebound and then the same day saying that you had made an offer. I was like WHAT? HOW? It looks like the place has been on the market for several months time so hopefully they will be open to a lower offer, although they didn't drop the price as much as one would think given the time on the market. I do like it a lot though. LET US KNOW AS SOON AS YOU KNOW SOMETHING!!

Yay for having the day off from the office and back to Jammie Time! That is the best!!

KMom- Glad your back is feeling better! When you do the treadmill, take it slow and do just a little. Work your way up!

Lori- Ugh, icy sidewalks and streets stink! I hope you are able to get to work safely. I think getting out and interacting with people will raise your mood some.

Trig- Enjoy the snow day. You've got the whole family there! I think sledding with an ATV sounds AMAZING!

••••••••••

Happy Thursday, all!

Whacked schedule week continues with midterm exam. DS16 doesn't have to be at school until ten (no third period exam) but then stays until 2 because of play practice. I'm going to drop him off and then go directly to the Y. I'm kind of aiming for three days a week- not being a perfectionist about it but just as a general goal.

Music lessons AGAIN today, make up lessons, from 4-5. I have to say, I am SO OVER taking him there. He goes for an hour and a half on Mondays (7-8:30pm) and an hour on Wednesdays (8-9pm) plus drive time (20 minutes each way) and it is just enough drive time to not make it worth my time to leave and go home, you know? I try to take a book or whatever but at that time of the night I just want to BE HOME. The Wednesday lesson for band rehearsal will be over soon, mid-Feb, and he and I both agreed he won't do that anymore once they do their performance. That will be a relief! I also keep telling myself that next year he will be driving himself and I will miss this time we have in the car together and that is honestly true. I really will. We talk more in the car than anywhere because once he gets home, his earbuds pop in and that's that. So instead of wishing the time away I need to focus on the positives of this year.

Heading into a mildly busy weekend with hosting Cousins' Christmas on Sunday, plus the ILs are actually coming Saturday afternoon and spending the night now, with their dog. Whoo hoo. Gotta plan a meal on Sunday for 17. I'm thinking pulled pork or pasta with sauce and meatballs. My SILs will bring a side dish or dessert. Leaning toward pasta - a nice winter meal. I can do garlic bread with that and have one bring a simple salad and one bring a dessert. I can bake the meatballs the day before, and then just throw them in some sauce the day of. Yup, I think that's what I'll do. I'm just not sure I have a big enough pot for the amount of pasta I will be cooking!

Guess that is about all for now. I think I will make Chicken Lazone for dinner tonight.

Last edited by niccofive : Thu, Jan-18-18 at 11:46.
  #1020   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 09:40

BF:
Progress:

Good morning, all!

Quick post.

I can't begin to tell you how awesome that roast and gravy was. I am still thinking about it. I am so glad Trig shared it. I had to be careful not to eat too much gravy as it does have a few carbs. I cooked mine six hours on low, but based on how long Trig cooks hers on high, I think I will bump that up to seven or eight.

Trig, I too had to "try it" before it was done! Not a good idea! I had half my meal before it was soft enough. It was TOO good. When it was finally soft, I had that meal with the riced cauliflower!

I think the key is to use that exact sauce in the jar. Maybe others are good also, but I don't want to try!

Again, I mentioned there are four other varieties of the sauce. I am wondering if anyone things it might be worth a try for like pork or chicken. Or even fish. Nic, can you please invent a recipe for us!

OK...packed day. Will check in later. Also want to check out that house later.

K-Mom 10x4 CapD
Closed Thread