Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 05:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Dr Gary Fettke, orthopedic surgeon, banned from giving nutritional advice

Now my favorite speaker on the subject of cancer and diet as an adjuvant treatment, is banned from giving nutritional advice! Australia takes a similar step as South Africa with Dr Tim Noakes, and bans an outspoken critic of the government's dietary guidelines.

http://foodmed.net/2016/08/13/gary-...hf-ahpra-hpcsa/

Quote:
Gary Fettke turns into Australia's Tim Noakes
By Marika Sboros

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) has banned orthopaedic surgeon Dr Gary Fettke from giving his patients nutrition advice. It has done so after a two-year “investigation” into Fettke’s qualifications.

Elements of this case mirror the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) case against Prof Tim Noakes. Noakes is a world-renowned scientist who is also a medical doctor. The AHPRA case effectively makes Fettke into the “Tim Noakes of Australia”.

There are big differences but both the AHPRA and the HPCSA cases open up a medical Pandora’s box. Both go to the heart of what it means to be a real “doctor of medicine”. And who is best qualified to give advice on nutrition: Both these cases boil down to a medical and dietetic battle for territory. In both cases, the regulatory agencies take up cudgels on one side of that battle. They support powerful vested interests propping up the territories. That makes the only real surprise here that the AHPRA has taken so long to act against Fettke.

Unlike in Noakes’ case, the AHPRA has conducted its “investigation” behind closed doors. Fettke doesn’t know who complained to the AHPRA about him. The HPCSA case is conducted in the full glare of the public. Noakes also knows who started the ball rolling against him in 2014. Johannesburg dietitian Claire Julsing Strydom, then president of the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA). ADSA is the South African counterpart of the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA). Both are voluntary bodies and hugely influential in setting public health policy relating to diet and nutrition. Both support the status quo. The HPCSA case against Noakes centres around giving “unconventional advice on a social network” (Twitter). That was for two tweets in which Noakes said good first foods for infant weaning are low-carb, high-fat (LCHF). In other words, meat and veg, according to LCHF theory. The HPCSA has tried – and failed – to create the impression that its case is not about the science for LCHF. That it isn’t about conventional nutrition advice based on high-carb, low-fat (HCLF) and the vested interests that support it. And the careers and reputations that will fall if LCHF becomes mainstream.

The AHPRA has gone to great lengths to suggest its case against Fettke is not about LCHF. Or as Fettke practises and calls it, low-carb, healthy fat. It has told Fettke not to “provide specific advice or recommendations on the subject of nutrition and how it relates to the management of diabetes or the treatment and/or prevention of cancer”. Fettke, apart from being a practising orthopaedic surgeon, is also a senior lecturer at the University of Tasmania. He has been researching nutrition for more than a decade now.

As an orthopaedic surgeon, he has a longstanding interest in the preventative aspects of health outcomes, particularly before operating on patients. Many are obese and diabetic and come to him with weight-related issues with joint pathology and arthritis. Fettke’s interest in and extensive knowledge of nutrition is also because he is a cancer survivor. He has had orthodox treatment. His research led him to adopt a specific dietary lifestyle (which he calls low-carb, healthy fat, including saturated). He is not against orthodox treatment for cancer. He simply believes that the right diet ups the odds of long-term survival. He advocates for the metabolic model of cancer and an integrative approach to treatment that includes nutrition. In so doing, Fettke goes up against powerful vested interests in the pharmaceutical and medical industries.

Fettke is founder and mentor of the team at Nutrition for Life located in Launceston and Hobart providing nutritional care around Tasmania and Australia. He has launched social media, grassroots campaigns against excessive sugar and processed food consumption in the Australian diet. Therein probably lie some of the main drivers of the AHPRA action against him. Chief among is the power of orthodoxy and the perils of challenging it. Long article continues....

The No Fructose FB page, now with his wife's name: https://www.facebook.com/thegarysci...=nf&pnref=story

Sugar Makes You Hungry, Carbohydrates Make You Fat, and Polyunsaturated Oils Make You Inflamed and Sick.

http://www.nofructose.com

Dr. Gary Fettke Nutrition and Cancer, Time to Rethink. https://youtu.be/FPLZ0gbxBBQ : Sept 2015 talk, 37 minutes, or the shorter 23 minute version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa5Bcm8T9nU.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-13-16 at 06:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 07:18

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Speaking truth to power remains a dangerous enterprise.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 07:47
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Speaking truth to power remains a dangerous enterprise.

Jean
Jean, I read JEY's post and just couldn't think of what to say to the injustice of it all. You captured that perfectly.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 10:00

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Love that guy:
Quote:
US Prof Richard Feinman is scathing about the AHPRA action. Feinman is professor of cell biology at SUNY (State University of New York). He says in one of his books: “Doctors don’t study nutrition. Nutritionists don’t study medicine. Neither study science.

Registered, accredited, certified, do these sound like genuine degrees that were obtained after years of study and practice? I can register my car with not a second of formal education, get accredited for driving with a 30 minute exam, and obtain a certificate of insurance through the mail. I guess that makes me a car scientist and only I can drive, make, and sell cars.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 10:47

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

One normally expects that a registered, accredited, certified professional of any kind can repair or fix something or more generally provide solutions to problems.

So for example, if my car is malfunctioning severely and I take it to a registered, certified mechanic I do so because I have a reasonable expectation that the registered, certified, mechanic will be able to fix it.

Now, if my body is malfunctioning severely due to obesity and/or T2 diabetes and I take it to a registered, accredited, certified nutritionist will they be able to fix it?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 18:32

BF:

There's so little fact presented in the article. I guess it's because it was a secret investigation so that's a nice excuse for scarcity of fact.

Here's an idea. Those recent cases of vegan diet child abuse, who told these parents to feed their kids like that? I bet it's a nutritionist. The idea is to establish professional responsibility for harm done. Has Fettke done harm by advising low-carb? The other idea is to establish treatment efficacy. Is low-carb inherently risky, compared to vegan for example?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 20:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My main problem in this isn't his right to give advice--not that I don't think he has the right. It's in my right to take advice.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 21:35

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Unlike in Noakes’ case, the AHPRA has conducted its “investigation” behind closed doors. Fettke doesn’t know who complained to the AHPRA about him.
I suspect the 2 billion dollar Australian sugar industry (i.e. Wilmar Sugar, formerly Colonial Sugar Refining Company) is behind this because they probably don't like Gary Fettke's, Nofructose.com website.

Otherwise, why are they being selective? If they don't like the kind of advice that Gary Fettke has been giving then they should also ban Peter Brukner from giving dietary advice. Peter Brukner is the doctor for the Australian cricket team and is an advocate of low carb just like Noakes and Fettke.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 22:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
My main problem in this isn't his right to give advice--not that I don't think he has the right. It's in my right to take advice.

That's an excellent point. In fact I think it should be the primary purpose here. I mean, I've been complaining about docs being idjits for a while, essentially those docs are shackled by the system, they can't give me proper advice, so I can't get proper advice from them, yet as you say it's my right to get that.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 03:04

Dr Fettke, along with Pete Evans (celebrity chef with no nutritional or medical background) have been doing a "Save Australia" diet challenge on the TV show, Sunday Night. https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-ni...check-up/#page1 The final episode is scheduled for August 28th and NOW they ban him from giving advice?! We hope that Sunday Night will do an exposé on this action against Dr Fettke. With even deeper pockets than the sugar industry, big pharma can't be thrilled Dr Fettke's patient is coming off diabetes meds. To me, doing this now will blow up in their faces, especially if the TV show makes something of it. Since he is banned from giving nutritional advice on any social media platform, assuming he can't be on that final episode? But Pete Evans can and he is way more outspoken than Gary. The timing of this makes zero sense.

Dr Fettke has in his talks explained the dramatic increase in diabetic amputations and joint replacements he has seen in his career. He said that now he does not do joint replacement on anyone over a certain BMI, instead he gives that patient an LCHF diet to help them lose down to a weight and size that will likely make the joint replacement more successful with fewer complications. His interest in cancer is as a survivor trying to find the best diet to avoid recurrence (or in his case, control). When explaining the use of a Ketogenic diet as adjuvant therapy, his talks are good and understandable for the average person. What does this mean for all his video and website information I now share with others? Even if it remains accessible, if a government notice pops up in search about banning him from giving diet advice, that hurts his credibility...even though he has years of medical training and clinical experience! How can they ban a licensed medical doctor from giving diet advice?

From Belinda's FB page:

Quote:
Gary is not allowed to comment on the central role of nutrition in preventative health, nor in the management of chronic illness on any social media platform. Gary has been silenced and cannot discuss nutrition with his patients in any clinical setting, regardless of any undue stress on joints before replacement, inflammation, or even diabetes complications requiring amputation.

It is IMPORTANT to note: Gary has NOT BEEN CAUTIONED on what he has been advocating with regards to LCHF - Low Carbohydrate Healthy Fat living, nor in regards to lowering carbohydrate intake in diabetes management.

Gary has, however, been criticised that his interpretation of his ‘research into a topic’ is not the same as AHPRA’s.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-14-16 at 03:31.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 03:28

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Fettke, along with Pete Evans (celebrity chef with no nutritional or medical background) have been doing a "Save Australia" diet challenge on the TV show, Sunday Night. https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-ni...check-up/#page1 I believe the final episode will be aired in September, and NOW they ban him from giving advice?! With even deeper pockets than the sugar industry, big pharma can't be thrilled Dr Fettke's patient is coming off diabetes meds. To me, doing this now will blow up in their faces...none of it makes sense.

Dr Fettke has in his talks explained the dramatic increase in diabetic amputations and joint replacements he has seen in his career. He said that now he does not do joint replacement on anyone over a certain BMI, instead he gives that patient an LCHF diet to help them lose down to a weight and size that will likely make the joint replacement more successful with fewer complications. His interest in cancer is as a survivor trying to find the best diet to avoid recurrence (or in his case, control). When explaining the use of a Ketogenic diet as adjuvant therapy, his talks are good and understandable for the average person. What does this mean for all his video and website information I now share with others? Even if it remains accessible, if a government notice pops up in search about banning him from giving diet advice, that hurts his credibility...even though he has years of medical training and clinical experience! How can they ban a licensed medical doctor from giving diet advice?

It's all so absurd. We are through the looking glass. We are down the rabbit hole. This action has nothing to do with the supposed goals of medicine to help people preserve or restore their health but to allow the people in power, those with money and influence, to continue to hold onto that power no matter who gets hurt in the process.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 03:55

Quote:
Gary is unfortunately learning a lesson that Voltaire observed when he wrote that, “It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.”

http://ketogains.com/2016/08/dear-m...t/#comment-3759
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 18:58

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The medical authorities can do that because we, the guvmint, said they can. When we voted to have treatment regulated.
120 years ago, everyone including snake oil salesman, were allowed to make their pitch. Then we consumers have the right, as we still do, to buy it or not.

Since then, in the interests of having "the guvmint" weed out ridiculous treatments, we have encouraged the medical governing bodies to control who defines treatments. But now the governing bodies make faux science about it.

Teaser has it right. We are the ones who purchase treatment. And we are the ones buying insurance too.

I honestly wonder what would happen if everyone who was able to, switched over to el cheapo catastrophic insurance, paid the docs per incident if something happened, and spent the other $6000 a year on gyms, good food, and sleep.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 11:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The "free" democratic society in which some of us allegedly live has abdicated its responsibilities and decision making by turning them over to the government. Guess it's easier than thinking nowadays. When we hear candidates support more government programs that are heavily influenced by industry, "for the good of the people," we are starting to realize our destiny. Governments will assert power to keep power. Are there those with the guts to take it back? That's the real question . . . Any decision on Fettke must be met with a public backlash significant enough to get the attention of the authorities, who will challenge based on their best interests regardless of facts.

Today, if you're not a skeptic in most matters, you're in danger. If you're not willing to speak out, you've lost.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 12:36