Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 07:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Heart health? I thought what DHA is supposed to be good for is your brain, that a lot of it is made of DHA is what I heard. Water packed canned fish gets my vote; no "fishy" oils and a lot less messy to drain.

Packed in oil, the fish is not fishy. We were discusssing added soybean oil and the like, not added fish oil. I would gobble it up if it was in fish oil. High content of VIt A and VIt D , enough that I take a spoonful of fishoil separately.

I never drain my fish-- that is like pouring off the goodness I just paid for.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 09:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Ken, we eat a lot of canned fish, sardines, sprats, mackerel, etc. and getting them packed in the right oils has been impossible. Have you found brands that use good oils? Perhaps packed in water is a better alternative to the poor quality oils???

I like the name brand sardines packed in olive oil, but they are a pricey, rare treat for me. I usually buy water packed. Sometimes I buy the packed in "mustard sauce", "hot sauce", or "tomato sauce" varieties just to keep things interesting. I eat sardines 3 to 5 times a week. Other fish, like mackerel and salmon, are not a regular staple in my diet. I do eat them occasionally, though.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 09:39

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Packed in oil, the fish is not fishy. We were discusssing added soybean oil and the like, not added fish oil. I would gobble it up if it was in fish oil. High content of VIt A and VIt D , enough that I take a spoonful of fishoil separately.

I never drain my fish-- that is like pouring off the goodness I just paid for.

Yes, I know which oils y'all meant. Trying to make a fishy pun of it. I had a couple cans of olive oil sardines at the airport for my dinner. Knew trying to eat it would be a mess, so I did so in one of those one-person restrooms so no one would watch. Had to eat holding it over the sink then clean out the sink with bathroom soap and paper towels. Drank what I could of the olive oil, but still pretty messy. Water packed would have been easier but wasn't available. I figure soybean oil in tuna and other fish probably dilutes all your healthy omega threes and out they go down the drain with the oil, but that's just my guess.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 09:45

BF:

I drink the oil, just for that reason-- so NOT pouring it down the drain.

ANd yes, I too eat the can OVER the sink. MEssy business!!

ROFL envisioning your excapade in the lav. ROFL Totally get it
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 11:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Media in the UK cover this study. Not so much in US.

Fish oil supplements for a healthy heart 'nonsense'
BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44845879

This Incredibly Popular Supplement Is Pretty Much Useless, Says Huge New Study. https://www.sciencealert.com/omega-...es&limitstart=1
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 11:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Buy vegetables
Prof Tim Chico, a cardiologist from Sheffield University, said: "There was a period where people who had suffered a heart attack were prescribed these on the NHS. This stopped some years ago.

"Such supplements come with a significant cost, so my advice to anyone buying them in the hope that they reduce the risk of heart disease, I'd advise them to spend their money on vegetables instead."

Dr Carrie Ruxton, from the Health and Food Supplements Information Service, said early studies of omega-3 fats had found a protective benefit for the heart, but it wasn't always easy to pick up the modest effects of dietary change, particularly in older people on medication.

"For those who won't eat mackerel, salmon or herring, a daily fish oil supplement is a useful way of meeting recommendations," she said.

"Omega-3s are also used by the body to maintain the health of the eyes, immune function and brain so it's not all about the heart."

From Jey's bbc link.

Because, like, there've been so many controlled, single-variable'd studies where "vegetables." all of them, interchangeably, were shown to improve heart health. Anybody know of one? Improved "risk factors" don't count, because we have that for fish oil...
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 04:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Michael Joseph retweeted his Soybean Oil article from last year, a good add to this thread because it has a graphic with the steps to make soybean oil. More

Quote:
8 Harmful Effects of Soybean Oil: What It Really Does to You

Soybean oil is one of the single worst foods we can eat.
And it’s definitely a contender for the worst cooking oil.
We often see health advice calling soybean oil a ‘heart healthy’ fat that will protect us against heart disease.
However, as with many things in nutrition, the reality is a little different.
This article takes a look at eight harmful effects of soybean oil.

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/ha...of-soybean-oil/

Had been reminded of this article also by recent tariff discussions between US/Europe, EU agreed to buy more soybeans.

Please, for the sake of your health, Europe, Don't do it
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 05:26

BF:

Thanks Janet for listing this.

While buying canned sardines and sprats, I looked for healthy oil and the choices were canola oil, soybean oil or water. While I like the fattier oil choice to hold me over, the water pack got the nod. Unfortunately, these are packed in China......
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 10:00

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Interesting. I wonder now about the super concentrated, super expensive prescription drug version of fish oil. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-...za-oral/details Presumably, that was tested in clinical trials and proved its efficacy sufficient to be approved. Ha, ha, or maybe not. I always thought it was an outrageous rip off. https://www.consumerlab.com/answers...za/Lovaza_cost/

I take fish oil for depression and anxiety. I used to frequent an Alt Med Psychiatry board and we discussed this endlessly. Particularly, how much to take. There are some studies, and then there are some other studies; nothing conclusive. A researcher wrote a book and even went on to market his own supplement as there was no very high EPA version. That one's expensive, so I never tried it. But clearly high EPA works for some people. There's enough evidence for me in general to add it to the mix.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...icial-the-brain

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...oil-and-anxiety

Then there's arthritis. The "Arthritis Foundation" is weirdly specific in their recommendations
here without actually being accurate, as grams of fish oil contain different forms of EPA/DHA, or perhaps that's not relevant for arthritis? https://www.arthritis.org/living-wi...de/fish-oil.php

Anyway, for anyone else taking it, Consumers Lab has reviewed fish oil brands and jealously guards their report from nonmembers, except oops, Newsmax published some of the results: https://www.newsmax.com/health/head...0/04/id/751565/ Pleased to see my chosen brand is approved.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: LC, IF
Stats: 256/240/190 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Thanks Janet for listing this.

While buying canned sardines and sprats, I looked for healthy oil and the choices were canola oil, soybean oil or water. While I like the fattier oil choice to hold me over, the water pack got the nod. Unfortunately, these are packed in China......

OMG. If that is regular Chinese water, YIKES.

If I buy something and later see it is from China, I throw it out. In the past, I have thrown out broccoli, canned mushrooms, and tilapia. I read labels much more closely now. I remember that I ate some of the broccoli and it made me sick. That evening, a radio host said he had bought broccoli from a certain store and saw it was from China, so he threw it out. Mine was from the same store. Different state, though.

Last edited by Susan70 : Sun, Jul-29-18 at 16:29.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: LC, IF
Stats: 256/240/190 Female 66 inches
BF:

Glad to see my brand of fish oil is also on the approved list revealed in that article.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-18, 15:02

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

This subject is of great interest to me. I recall following a previous thread I came across a series of videos of a talk by a Dr William (Bill) Lands on the Omega3/6 balance and its influence on health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivrYNjiXk8 -First of four.

I found the talk persuasive. Essentially Dr Lands said the concentrations and ratio within tissue was the critical factor. A changed ratio in consumption would not have effect until it resulted in changed ratio in tissue. This results in a time lag, (possibly of months,) following a change to eating a healthy ratio.

Also at that time there was a link to an omega3/6 blood test, which I subscribed to. The intention was to repeat the test every 4-6 months to confirm progress. However when I now attempt to find the test the links don't work.
I would very much like to know if this testing service is currently available at another location.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-18, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:

Quote:
Ken, we eat a lot of canned fish, sardines, sprats, mackerel, etc. and getting them packed in the right oils has been impossible. Have you found brands that use good oils? Perhaps packed in water is a better alternative to the poor quality oils???

I buy in water, drain and then drizzle in olive oil when ready to eat but thats just more of a taste thing 1st .
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-18, 19:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran
I buy in water, drain and then drizzle in olive oil when ready to eat but thats just more of a taste thing 1st .

When pouring off the water, I see so much fish oil in it. Its like Im pouring the good stuff down the drain, and I just cant do it.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-18, 14:20

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

You recall my airport sardine can adventure? I mean eating them, not the plane seat I was in for the flight. More travel. This time same airport, same bathroom sink but water-packed cans. I drank the liquid. Get the fish oil plus I needed the salt. They had to search my luggage to figure out what those things (the cans) were but passed them through alright upon seeing them.