Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 08:34

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question

Hi, Julie......I am curious....what does the "HTH" in your signature mean? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 08:38

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Wink Hi!

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips003.html (For all acronyms)

H appy
T o
H elp

H ope
T o
H elp

H ope
T his
H elps

Julie

Last edited by GatorGal93 : Tue, Dec-03-02 at 08:44.
  #318   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 13:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

Julie... I guess I need to reread some more in my CALP book...LOL
  #319   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 19:04
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 146/126.1/120
BF:26.5
Progress: 77%
Default CAD balance

Hi y'all. I'm back after my holiday. I took a break from everything, even you ;-).

Someone mentioned several pages back that CAD does not require a balanced RM meal. However, now that I got my CAD book back from my sister (who visited me over the holiday) I decided to look it up.

Just want to set the record straight - CAD *does* require a balanced RM, just like in CALP. It's on page 120.

Happy LC'ing everyone!

Lisa
  #320   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

lisa, is it balanced and a salad?
  #321   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

thanks so much for the words of encouragement, I have the CAD book, but, it means so much more seeing what real people say. I'm trying to get up my courage to try it. chris
  #322   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 19:45
Registered Member

nawchem,

Yes, the balance specifies the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 balance plus a salad before the meal.

However, depending on the plan you are on, some of them don't require a salad. I know the CALP plan requires a salad at RM.

I have never eaten the salad before the RM - only if it was the LC veggie part of the balance. (maybe that's why I have roughage problems ;-) ).

Lisa
  #323   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 19:46
Registered Member

Chris,

Oh DO try. We will be here to help you!

#324   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 08:41

BF:

I am curious.....has everyone here made a successful switch? Or have some of us found that CAD/CALP isn't for us? "Inquiring minds want to know"!
  #325   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 08:59

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14

Hhhmmmmm....a question I have been asking myself lately.... I started CALP 3 weeks ago at 153 lbs, am now at 151.5...these are NOT averages, those have actually gone up a bit. My jeans don't fit quite right anymore either, just a little too snug for my taste! HOWEVER, I am not about to throw in the towel as of yet. Had originally lost nicely in the first week, then steadily gone up again. I want to try to combine CALP with an occasionally couple of days on Atkins. My problem with Atkins was always that I couldn't do it for longer than 2-3 days in a row, during which I dropped several pounds on a regular basis. Then the carb cravings in form of perceived hunger overcame me (although I always only pigged out on LC foods, they did add up quickly as well!!), so the previously lost 4 or 5 lbs were instanly back on. So, my thinking here, and DO correct me if I am wrong, for as long as I want to continue to lose weight and not just maintain it, I will do 2-3 days of Atkins, then, should and if the cravings return, alternate with a few days on CALP to satisfy my carb tooth. I think, in theory at least, it makes sense and sounds very do-able. Left to be seen how it'll work in daily life! Right now, the thought of NOT being able to have carbs for dinner is not a very pleasant one....We'll see how I can handle it. So, that's my story...anyone else out there who has similar thoughts or expereinces, or am I just jumping the gun here.....???? My weight IS relatively steady, and it IS down a little (just not the average....:-( ) Do tell!!!!!!!
  #326   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 09:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Tiggerlou
You have to consider TOM. That could make you a little bloated and make your averages go up. That being said, I have previously cycled Atkins and CAD during the summer months for maximum weight gain and lose 50 pounds a summer. It does work and is doable.

The only caveat I would add to doing it now is that it is winter and during winter cravings and the need for carbs is stronger in some people. Do it if you can. If you can't, don't worry about it. The weight will come off. Give it a couple of more weeks and if there is no change or a negative one then do what ya gotta do.
  #327   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:19

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Sky: I'd call my switch a total success and I'm never going back to Atkins full-time. There's no way I could see that WOE for a lifetime, but I can absolutely live with the CAD/CALP rules.

Tigerlou: I think you're on to something here and have considered throwing in a couple days of Atkins here and there, but staying primarily on CALP. If you look at my journal, every time I shake things up a bit (even for a day), I go down right after. Somehow, my body seems to adjust to any WOE, get comfortable, then stop shedding pounds. It takes a change in eating to get on the downward path again.

Happy losing, everyone!
  #328   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:35

BF:

Hi, TigerLou......let's see now, if I am reading it right, you've lost 1.5 pounds in three weeks? That seems the lower end of the scale for the Hellers' plan. I believe they recommend a loss of between one-half and two pounds a week. So you've hit a half-pound a week w/o difficulty? Do I have that right?

At this rate, you would be 26 pound lighter this time next year. 26 pounds closer to Goal.

But your averages don't show this same level of success, and you want to lose more quickly.....

I know that Zuleika combines CALP w/ Atkins, and has done very well on it. Sure wouldn't hurt to try, but at least you've proven you can lose comfortably on CALP, even if it isn't very fast.

There may be others who would like to to the same....let us know how this works for you, okay?

Take care....see you soon.

Last edited by skyspinner : Thu, Dec-05-02 at 10:37.
  #329   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:44

BF:

Boy, Judy, I am with YOU! I could never think of going back to Atkins......well, "going back" is a bit strong, as I was never able to stay on Atkins for more than a couple of days.....and usually not even one entire day. Now I know why.....

But I can see how one would like to mix in Atkins to speed things along, if one can actually do that plan. I know SheilaRaye lost a lot of weight quickly on Atkins, but couldn't stay on it because her blood pressure got too low.....so she's on CAD and loving it. You might want to read back over her journal if you haven't already. It's gotten sooooo big it takes a week to read it all.

Let us know how this works for ya, okay?
  #330   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 11:33

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

I will absolutely let everyone know if a few days of Atkins here and there increases weight loss for me. I'm just not a patient person and need to see results to stay forcused. That's why I fell off the wagon with Atkins. After Induction, zip/nada for the next 6 or so weeks and I wasn't feeling well to boot. Pain but no gain (loss)!

I was one of those people, too, who never felt the surge of energy on Atkins, nor the feeling of well being that some report. But, the first week I made the switch to CALP, my hunger and cravings were completely gone and my posts from back then say over and over again how relaxed I felt. That's huge for me and this girl is a happy camper on CALP!