Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 09:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm actually convinced you're right. A low carb diet does increase insulin resistance, probably temporarily, if you stop being low carb. It just makes sense that your body makes adaptions for the sort of fuel you are giving it.

But I forgot, the real question was does eating a lot of fat make the body more insulin resistant than just eating low carb?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 09:54
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

People have reported strange things when eating high fat or taking fish oil capsules on Dr. Bernstein's forum. I don't know if anyone has studied it. I decreased fat and increased carbs to decrease insulin resistance. Otherwise, I would have gone hungry without more carbs.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 10:07
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, well that one low BG in the morning was flukey. I'm still puzzling over why my FBG has gone up 20-30 points rather suddenly, and stayed up. I don't think the fish oil is doing it.

Right now my biggest suspicion is because I'm on a higher dose of thyroid hormone. 12 mcg more and my TSH is now around 2.5-3.0. It had been 4-5 and even higher and I had a LOT of hypothyroid symptoms. I just talked my doctor into another bump-up of the thyroid meds... I have a feeling this one is going to be too much. I really just need like another 6mcg, but the next increment is 150 (I'm taking 137).

The other possibility is the glucosamine chondroitin I'm taking for arthritis. Seems like I read something about glucosamine... will have to look.

I'm looking for and not finding much about the effect of thyroid hormones on BG... but here's something about rats and glucose turnover.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/ar...i?artid=1161339

This one suggests that being hypothyroid (in animals) makes them very sensitive to insulin and tends to make them hypoglycemic.
http://ajplegacy.physiology.org/cgi...xtract/84/1/132

Before... (I can't recall exactly, I think before I got my meds adjusted) I used to have a very low FBG... like 70-80. Even after a meal it went to maybe 110 at the very highest.

Zounds! This is telling: In a nutshell, hyperthyroid inhibits insulin secretion AND disinhibits hepatic glucose production (you create more blood sugar in the liver).
http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-...26&size=largest
However, your uptake of glucose is much faster.

This sucks. I can either be fat, sleepy, lethargic, have my hair fall out and a deep voice and have lovely low blood sugars or I can be more energetic, possibly lose some weight, and have weird blood sugar.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Sep-08-08 at 10:29.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 10:24

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Eating a little more vegetable and a serving of fruit seem to lessen blood sugar in the morning for me. But I have to eat a small dinner on the whole which makes any difference. If i eat too much protein or fruit i get a crazy FBG. I dont like fat in general so i hardly want to fry things or eat cheese. I like nuts and it is probably the only place i get my fats.

Any food that makes me overly sleepy after 30 min of eating it was probably either too much or caused too much of a insuline spikee. Trust me it happens when i eat too much protein too.i cannot eat unlimited or until i am full of anything.I should just eye ball when i wont get this feeling.

I had a great lunch of scallops and shrimp and white wine sauce.....hmmm
I like seafood now though i havent tried any oher fish but lobster shrimp and scallops are awesome.

Last edited by chandbaby1 : Mon, Sep-08-08 at 10:32.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 11:58
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Zounds! This is telling: In a nutshell, hyperthyroid inhibits insulin secretion AND disinhibits hepatic glucose production (you create more blood sugar in the liver).
http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-...26&size=largest
However, your uptake of glucose is much faster.

Maybe that's why my liver won't shut up.

Nancy, at least you don't have the kind of fat typical of insulin resistance. The more I read about visceral fat as the largest endocrine system in the body, the more I'm grateful for thunder thighs.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:13
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, I don't have much of the mid-body fat. But my current thyroid dose is new, perhaps I'll have issues with this in the future. I suppose if I had had normal thyroid all this time I'd probably be a diabetic by now.

You know, I've even heard it said that thigh fat is actually good for you, secretes some kind of beneficial hormones. I'm dubious.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:17
Experimenter

BF:

It sounds like the jury is out on the Glucosamine

Quote:
Animal research has suggested the possibility that Glucosamine could contribute to insulin resistance (Ref 3,4). Theoretically, this could result from the ability of Glucosamine to interfere with an enzyme needed to regulate blood sugar levels (Ref 7). However, available evidence does not suggest that taking Glucosamine supplements will trigger or aggravate insulin resistance or high blood sugar (Ref 8). Two large, 3-year controlled trials found that people taking Glucosamine Sulphate had either slightly lower blood glucose levels or no change in blood sugar levels, compared with people taking placebo. (Ref 9,10)
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:28
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Nancy have you seen this article about fat location and diabetes?

http://www.google.com/search?q=visc...type+2+diabetes

and click on the 4th article titled:

The Impact of Obesity on Type 2 Diabetes: The Role of Visceral Fat ..
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:38
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! Exploding fat cells? Interesting...

But that visceral fat can be deep inside, which means you aren't going to have a fat middle. That's all those "skinny fat" people they've been talking about in the news the last couple years.

oooh, lookie: http://www.healthnewsblog.com/cgi-b...l?hnblog=926071 (blood test shows how much visceral fat)

Here's an article of scan of skinny people with excess visceral fat: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18594089/

This could easily be me since I'm not exercising. *sigh* I'll have to read more closely after my nap.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:43
Dazed and Confused

BF:

If you are a pear shape, you are unlikely to have the visceral deep fat.

Still, exercise is important for heart health. The big 50 makes you think a lot about heart health.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:45
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, it's just that between my fatigue and joint issues, it's not exactly easy, sometimes just plain impossible.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:50
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I know having fibro makes it tough.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:55

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I know that fatigue and not excercising too well. the best way to reduce insuline resistence is excercise and the damn fatigue wont let that happen. It feels like a death trap to me...I hope i find a way out soon.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 13:14
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Don't give up hope, Chand. You have a plan now to work your way out of this.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 15:49
Experimenter

BF:

That article from Medscape...

Very interesting. But I have a bone to pick with it. First of all, they say everything reverses with fat loss. Not saying they're wrong but they're missing the fact that all those things correct with low carb diets too, before significant fat loss happens. Still it is not unexpected ignorance.