Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 08:43

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/164/150
BF:
Progress:
Default sugar

I have to say that after 10 days of no sugar and very low carbs
I actually feel like I have given up sugar the drug. I can't believe
the clean energy that I have, and I'm certainly grateful to be on
the other side of sugar and carb cravings today.
I stopped drinking 2 1/2 years ago and I remember at that time I
did a questionaire which asked among other things how much
I felt eating sweets affected my sobriety. I responded not very much at all, and continued to eat handfuls of
chocolate each day, reasoning that it was better than drinking.
What I realize now is that it created a very wearying cycle of up
and down and destabilized me, really ultimately putting me at risk for relapse. I have always thought that I would do whatever it takes to ensure my peace of mind but I guess I never knew that so much of it was chemical. I've been flirting with the idea of losing 10 or 15 pounds for a year or so but now I think I'll stick around just to enjoy the bright clean energy I have today. Good luck to everyone on managing those cravings chefboyslim

p.s. I visited a friend who works at Godiva Chocolate the other day and I don't suggest anyone put their willpower to such a challenging test! I just made it out alive.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hello, chefslim!

There was an article posted yesterday (actually a write-up for an upcoming conference on Native health) that hinted at a link between sugar consumption and alcoholism. It will be interesting to see if more research in this area will be forthcoming.

Congrats on kicking out the Sugar Monster!

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 10:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You are well on your way! May your next 10 days be as illuminating!

That's an interesting question: ...how much you felt eating sweets affected your sobriety.

We don't realize what kind of stupor we are in, and how we use sugar as part of controlling ourselves until we give it up.

Keep us up to date on how you are doing!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 19:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default on sweets and sobriety

I once read that many sober alcoholics do develop and insatiable sweet tooth ... I don't recall the stated reasons why, but we can only imagine the same hormonal and physiological responses happening as one addiction is substituted for another.

All the best to you, and continued energy and good health..

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 07:12

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Sugar Addiction & Alcoholism

Suzanne Somers and Susan Powter have both written theories on alcoholism and sugar addiction.

As many of you know, experts feel that alcoholism can be genetic. Somers and Powter are theorizing that if you don't develop alcoholism you'll develop a sugar addiction, seing how both are similar to your body when broken down.

I don't know how true it is, but being the daughter of an alcoholic father, I tend to subscribe to this theory knowing what an absolute sugar addict I am. It explains the overwhelming urges that I can get to eat sugar and the drunk feeling I get when eating it. It also explains the carb hangover I can have the morning after a binge. There are 5 siblings in my family and 3 of us display sugar addiction, while the other 2 display alcoholic addiction.

I know I haven't scientifically proven anything, but I thought I'd throw this into the discussion because listening to Somers and Powter certainly shed some light on what was happening to me!

Deanna
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 22:52

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/164/150
BF:
Progress:

Ok, now it's been many days (at least 3 weeks) since I last ate any sugar or in fact many carbs of any kind. I recently read Potatoes Not Prozac and found it to be quite illuminating. As my body becomes more balanced in terms of sugar/ seretonin and beta endorphin, my desire to stay on this tack becomes more natural feeling. Just like in sobriety I always look for that win win feeling, so too in this new way of eating. I have to sincerly choose to eat the way I do, not feel forced. I sleep the whole night through, am much less likely to fly off the handle at work and have a great deal more even energy throughout the day, especially in that classic low ebb time 3:00 to 4:00. A few drawbacks include, missing the great summer fruit (thank God I like blueberries and this year has been great for them) and the expense of all that meat. I'm considering adding a small amount of whole grain style carbs to my diet soon but I don't know if that will set up sugar cravings and I'm a little afraid of that. Also I realized lately that even stray thoughts of drinking alcohol have vanished, and this is a good thing. Glad this group is here, keep surfin through those cravings. peace steve
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 13:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Glad to hear that you are doing so well with it. It's like a miracle the way you can change if you are willing to recieve the message.

Quote:
I'm considering adding a small amount of whole grain style carbs to my diet soon but I don't know if that will set up sugar cravings

The only way to find out is to try it, but do it as part of a meal, not stand-alone.

Let us know how you make out. Have you considered keeping a Journal in the Journal section? It would be good for others to refer to who may be experiencing the same thing.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 13:21

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome steve! i'm glad you found lowcarbing and us! isn't it great to feel so wonderful and energized! and free! my sugar habit controlled me. i think you'll bring a lot to this board steve! nice to meet you!