Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 131/127.5/120 Female 171
BF:28/28/20
Progress: 32%

I m in the same boat as you.... just lot less severe..... but after I started atkins I still want to binge, although not yet, but any moment now..... But I know it is not good for myself, and I know I will get kick out of Ketonsis, that's why I didn't do it...... Can anyone please help me with my craving?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 152/128??/112 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/24%/18%
Progress: 51%

Hi!
I hope you are feeling less stressed by now. I have the last of three exams tonight, this week has been horrible. Where do you go to school? What year are you? I am originally from Ithaca, NY but I go to school at Florida State University in Tallahassee. I love it here and will never go back to the wonderful weather of the north! I am a junior and my major is hospitality administration. I can't believe how fast this semester has gone by.....only 5 weeks left!

It is funny, when I was on Atkins and Lean for Life if I started eating carbs I couldn't stop. Now that I have added them back in I feel like my appetite is under control. Obviously there has to be a mental connection there. I was really worried about adding the carbs in the beginning, but it hasn't hurt my progress at all, and I enjoy eating a larger variety of food. I keep track of my calorie count in my head throughout the day, and usually at night I can have a snack of 200-300 calories. I aim for around 1600 a day, but often times it is lower than that. 1600 calories is really a lot of food if you are watching the fat intake and not eating too many carbohydrates. Do you have any favorite meals? I usually just throw a veggie burger or piece of chicken on my Foreman, and heat up some frozen veggies in the microwave. It is all about being quick.

Anyway, I need to get some last minute studying in. Have a great weekend

~Kyle
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 01:11

Plan: low carb, low fat, low calorie (my own)
Stats: 155/156.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: -5%

3 midterms in a week? Wow. I imagine that by now you're done, so congrats on making it through the week!

I'm not less stressed yet yet, but by tomorrow I will be. Right now it's 2:19 am here and I'm still working on that 35-page paper due tomorrow. All-nighters just kill me, energy- and food-wise. I sometimes find that I eat to help keep myself awake (and keep the caffeine from giving me a wicked stomachache and headache) so I'm trying to be good here.

I'm a senior studying public health at the University of Pennsylvania (in Philadelphia). I'm so jealous of your Florida weather! I've lived in the northeast my whole life and yet every year I hate winter more and more. I'll have to go wherever I can end up getting a job next year, but ultimately I want to move somewhere warm. I look, feel, and eat much better when I'm in a warm climate; it just suits me much better for some reason.

I love cooking, so I'm always trying out new stuff, but like you, I definitely don't have a lot of time. The Foreman is such a lifesaver! I would say I make a lot of stir-fries: strips of meat, frozen veggies sauteed in a little olive oil with spices and soy sauce or something like that. I make big batches and then freeze leftovers so I always have something healthy that fits into my plan.

The hardest thing for me is that twice a week I have class straight from 10-3 with NO breaks whatsoever. I try to cook in advance so I have low carb low calorie stuff to pack, but during the week it gets hard. Like today, I ended up having a quick breakfast and then nothing else till I came home after 3, completely starving. That's the kind of situation that sets me up for trouble. Do you have any suggestions about packable stuff that fits into a low carb low calorie diet? I've tried bringing cut veggies and grilled meat to class, but it's hard to eat and kind of distracting. I don't want to resort to bars or other food substitutes if I can avoid it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your weekend. You've definitely earned it! (I, however, need to get back to work...)

- Chrissy
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 152/128??/112 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/24%/18%
Progress: 51%

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile! I am so happy now, I can finally breathe again! At least until December, and then it is final exam time. How is school going for you?

The last couple of days I have been feeling pretty down. I guess more than anything I am just frustrated. I try so hard- eating well, exercising, etc.- and it seems like losing weight should be easier than it has been. I have come a long way, but I still feel like I am not living the full life that I want to be living. I have boxes and boxes of beautiful clothes that don't fit, and I haven't really bought anything nice for myself since I gained so much weight. I really feel like things aren't fair....I have struggled enough, and I just want it to be over!!

I guess flipping through 3 Victoria's Secret catalogs doesn't help much either. It just makes me sick to see those models, who are nothing but skin and bone, selling clothes to real people who will never look like that. At one point I looked like that, but I am paying for it now and probably will for the rest of my life. And the crazy thing is that I still thought I was fat!!!

I am going on a trip in 16 weeks to Philadelphia and want to be wearing my favorite clothes by then. I know that is a long time, but at the rate I am going I really doubt I will even be at my desired weight by then. If I want to enjoy life to the fullest, I have to lose this extra weight. I don't want to limit myself anymore. Do you know of any challenges/programs that are 16 weeks long?

Well I guess I feel a little better. Sometimes I just feel so desperate. I know that I brought all of this upon myself, but it feels so unfair at times. I am afraid that I am letting some of the best days of my life pass me by, just because I am not happy with my appearance.

Talk to you soon
~Kyle
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 06:15

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 112/112/100 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

heya!
i have had bullimia and anoreixia etc for years aswell, but i want to go on atkins, to lose the weight i have gained and maintian it...is the atkins a better option than just mostly fruit and veg (which is wot i do now)? i feel sick thinking about all that fat that i will be eating, or shall i just do a low fat, high protein thing? thank u !
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 11:43

Stats: 175/175/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default yes i am unfortunatley

Im recently trying to get over my bulimic lifestyle because it does nothing good to you at all.....ive been this way since i was 15 and im not 18 and i am determined to quit! LC should be a way for me to introduce food back into my body the right way
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 09:34

Stats: 175/175/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

i became bulimic at 14 and im going to turn 18 in a month, but i have stopped purging since yesterday and i plan to maintain and lose weight the healthy way...a way that i am not destroying myself
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 11:42

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi everyone. I'm a little older than studen/teen, but I also have an eating disorder. I've been dianosed with Binge Eating Disorder and have had it since about age 10... maybe 11. My doctor put me on prozac (for binge eating as well as anxiety/depression... and yes I agree it's not the best choice for everyone, but it worked for me) and started Low Carb.... again.

Since I've been on the medication I haven't binged once and some days have trouble making it to the 1700 calories I should be taking in. For me, it was a life saver.

I'm sure many can overcome their ED's with atkins alone, but for me it was not so simple. I'm on my what, 7th restart at this point? I stopped counting after a while. Before I started meds I'd either binge on legal foods or secretly plan a run to McDonalds when no one was home so they didn't catch me stuffing myself.

But now that I've been officially diagnosed, started meds, restarted atkins and am going to therapy, I'm down 10lbs and haven't binged once - 3 weeks and counting. Sounds like a small period of time I'm sure, but I could never go 3 days, let alone 3 weeks before!

I delt with this for 14 years. I know what it's like. I know the havoc it can reek on your mind and body. I also know, you can get past it!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 05:27
Registered Member

Plan: no specific
Stats: 202/186/126 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 21%

hi

im new here and its my first post

im 19 now and when i got into my teens id either eat loads for weeks thinking im going to diet tomorrow then its like well might as well start a fresh week on monday now its friday etc

then i started being anorexic and bullemic but with being bullemic i didnt ever binge id just eat a small amount-ish os 'healthy' things just incase i didnt get it all up (sounds gross i know - sorry)

now im low carbing but i dont eat anything with carbs in and only once a day - except maybe sometimes eggs which have like a carb in or something. and sometimes i dont eat everyday.

(sorry about my english if its not that good im not very good at it - i just came from another forum where they were very critical about everything and about how i was dieting but here there seems to be a lot more empathy because of the amount of people in the same boat)
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 20:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 yrs old, 157cm and weigh 36kg. At the beginning of the year I was 45kg (the largest i'd ever been) and felt i needed to lose some weight. I read in a magazine somewhere about Atkins and decided to try it but i never actually bought a book or found out the specifics of the diet. Unawares i avoided ALL foods that contained carbs and fat (even the 'healthy fats') and lost alot of weight and became quite sick. I went to the doctor who told me i was displaying symptoms of anorexia and put me on a plan of weight gain (1kg a month). Now i still follow a low-carb diet but include foods such as cheese and nuts etc. I just want to say to all those who suffer eating disorders that your life is just too precious to waste, follow a low-carb diet by all means but PLEASE make sure you stop before you lose too much weight. Now i follow Atkins to maintain a healthy weight and enjoy the benefits of eating more fruit and vegies.

Everyone of you is special, be healthy but don't risk your life!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 03:23

BF:
Progress:
Smile to jessmess

hey, i hope your okay now, and that your a healthy weight! 45kg is already so little! Can i Just ask what kinda foods u ate? like just vegetables or seomthing? or did eating meat and stuff help too? im really confused cos i've tried atkins but im not sure if i'm doing it rite!!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 06:49

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

It is so sad to see so many girls with anorexia and bulimia. If they only knew that eating Low Carb they can eat a lot of really good food and control their weight and look just marvelous, but no, we have to trash Atkins, because that way we have more patients. Psiquiatrist, general MDs, and nutritionits then would not have patients and good heaven, we can not allow that, right.

I am glad that you are recovering, remember that you can eat olive oil and butter and meat and many good things without the fear of gaining weight. Just control your carbs and you will be beautiful all your life. Congratulations for believing in this way of life.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 06:57

BF:

kat168, fat is good and will not make you fat if you don't eat more than 30 or 40 gr of carbs a day. I eat 90 % fat and I am losing weight, so remember that. You should eat, meat (chicken, fish, etc.), vegetables, salads with olive oil, eggs, etc. without a total fear of gaining weight. What we have been told that fat is bad is a total lie. Read Atkins, read, read, read, it will empower yourself with knowledge and will allow you to disregard those stupid things like fat is bad and you should only eat fruit and vegetables. Eat your meat, it is important for you health.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 06:59

BF:

Misry1001, what are you craving and how long have you been in ketosis?
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 09:23

BF:
Progress:

is it better than eeating just fruit and veg? i used to eat only fruit and stuff myself with it, but then i wasn't sure if it was making me fat or not..how about things like beans and stuff? i get really confused!!! thank you so much for replying u guys are so nice!