Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 20:59

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking Curry Peppered Chicken

I admit it. I'm VERY finicky. I still haven't got around to trying Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff. But in that same vein, I experimented a little tonight. I like spicy stuff. This qualified, but could have been hotter (next time).

I was groaning at the idea of eating. But one bite in and next thing I knew, I'd eaten it all, wiped clean the containers no less, and was thinking 'gee, if I weren't so stuffed I'd have more!'

It reminds me a bit of chicken masala / tikka at indian restaurants, I guess just because of the curry. Anyway:

2 baked chicken breasts, baked with water, some olive oil, a little nature's-seasoning, cracked black pepper, and oregano. When they were pretty much done baking I turned them over, added a tad bit more seasonings to the tops then put back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes to brown the other side.

Drained the resultant drippings/oil into a tiny sauce/frying pan. Added:
1teaspoon red curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
a few black peppercorns
1oz quesa fresco (a mexican cheese great for sauces)
dried red pepper flakes (to taste)
stirred and cooked for a bit till cheese was melted.
then added four tablespoons sour cream, stirred until saucy.
When nicely blended/heated, I dumped off all the excess oil.

This can be pretty oily depending on how much oil you used for the chicken. I made FOUR chicken breasts and put all the remains in the pan, so I probably should have increased the cheese at least to add to the bulk. I'd forgot I was only eating half the chicken I made. Anyway --

I shredded two chicken breasts with two forks, dumped the sauce in a little bowl, and dipped each bite of chicken in the sauce. WAY YUMMY!

I think it would be good to also try it leaving out the sour cream in the cooking, mixing all the sauce up with the shredded chicken and refrigerating, and then at eating-time mixing some up with mayo for a cold chicken curry salad.

I can't believe it. I think I may actually like cooking!

[edited] Sorry, forgot the nutritional stuff and detail!

carbs: 5.02 - 7.02 **
protein: 105.01
calories: 701.4
fat: 25.29
** I added 2 carbs to my records for spices as I've no idea how much the rest come to.

chicken, 2med breasts, no skin = 530cal 11fat 0carb 100prot [source: fitday.com]
quesa fresco: 1oz = 41cal 2carb 2fat 3prot [source: fitday.com]
sour cream: 4 TBSP = 1/4 cup 123.25cal, 12fat, 2.50carbs, 1.75prot [source: fitday.com]
curry 1TBSP** = 20.48cal, carbs 3.66car-2.09fib=1.57ecc, 0.87fat, 0.79prot [source: fitday.com]
....I used 1 tsp, so divided by 3 that's 6.83cals, 0.52 carbs, 0.29fat, 0.26prot

PJ

Last edited by PJ in Miam : Sat, Jan-05-02 at 21:16.
Sponsored Links