Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 17:23

Plan: I don't know
Stats: 189/181/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default Getting Back on the Bandwagon

A hurricane recently struck up my area, and it has completely thrown me off. I'm not one for excuses, but you should see my grocery stores (completely empty). The past few days I have been stuck in my house and have been eating whatever I could get my hands on (Let's just say most of it was EXTREMELY high carb). Now that things are slowly going back to normal and the guilt is setting in (and, inevitably, the extra pounds as well), I need to get back on the bandwagon full force. I have to shed these pounds by May of next year. I need to get back in that mindset I was once in not but a week or two ago. Should I start out by doing induction again? Do you guys have any tips about getting back on the bandwagon and staying there? Sometimes temptation can be a very awful thing. Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 19:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

First, I hope you and your family are safe. Second, nothing that you have done under great duress over a short period of time is permanent. When you've been able to restock your pantry and have access to healthy foods, you'll be able to start again. Since you don't identify a plan, I would choose one this time. Atkins is a good plan to restart low carb, and yes, induction is the best way to start. Temptation is always around the corner, and it's how we manage our way of eating to stay consistent with a plan that seems to have the most success. My thoughts are with you and yours during this time of chaotic weather. Be well.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 10:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

The only way to do a diet is to just do it. Very few people who do a a diet dp so long term without some sort of oops happening the trick is to forgive your self and move forward with the plan your diet plan of choice.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 12:54

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Getting back

godhelpme;

First, I would say stop feeling guilty. You do not have to explain your actions to anyone. I live in Houston, and while we did not get water inside, our street was flooded, and we were basically marooned on an island for the week. I was in no danger of going hungry, but ran out my Atkins 72 foods. I didn't do too bad, but did fall back on oatmeal for breakfast, and higher carb vegetables which I had eliminated from my diet. The keto sticks never turn purple for me, so I am not sure but I probably got knocked out of ketosis for a couple days.

Second, I think redoing induction is a great idea. Our street drained off pretty quickly, so we were able to get out once it stopped raining. As you mentioned, the stores were pretty empty, but I did manage to get some lettuce and meat. That gave me the opportunity to go back to induction. As of today, at least in my area, the stores seem to be fully stocked and I am back on my usual foods.

Third, just move forward. When you hit your goal, the stalls and weight gains along the way will not seem like such a big deal.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Survival eating is guilt exempt!

I think it helps to look at this as a way of life rather than a diet. Its the pursuit of a goal like school. You don't do well on a test you don't drop out of school. If you want to get to graduation you put it behind you and just keep going.

Best wishes!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 21:09

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

I pretty much stay on induction. All the time. Long ago I abandoned the idea of "working up the Atkins ladder." I have to stay very low carb or 1) I no longer lose anything and 2) I gain weight. 3) Higher carbs and I lose control and eat too many carbs, and it's all UP from there. My CCC is 20g and I lose weight at under 10g. That's just the way it is. Everyone is different, of course, but that's what experience has taught me.

It took me rather a long time to understand and accept the above. When I accept it, the WOE is easy.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 02:25

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

GRB5111 really hits the nail on the head, as do the other commenters, Hope you and your family are OK, and I agree that you are in a good place to start over whenever you can. All the very very best!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 07:25

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Beginning to think this may be me. Not gaining just stalled out even with IF. What do people eat to remain below 20 grams and not eat too much protein? Not sure how to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I pretty much stay on induction. All the time. Long ago I abandoned the idea of "working up the Atkins ladder." I have to stay very low carb or 1) I no longer lose anything and 2) I gain weight. 3) Higher carbs and I lose control and eat too many carbs, and it's all UP from there. My CCC is 20g and I lose weight at under 10g. That's just the way it is. Everyone is different, of course, but that's what experience has taught me.

It took me rather a long time to understand and accept the above. When I accept it, the WOE is easy.