Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/215/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Past success, newbie to forum

Hi Everyone,
First off Id like to say that this is an awesome forum as Ive been reading comments for a while now, just decided to give this a try because I think I need support.

In September 2015, I started Atkins diet and by December of that year had lost 45 lbs.
31-year old female-was 245lbs
Dropped to 200 lbs.
First two weeks lost 12 lbs and found it easier as time went on.
December I spent time on vacation with family and "came off" diet.
Returned two weeks later, 6 lbs heavier-no problem-jumped back on atkins!
By the summer of 2016 I dropped to 175 lbs. OMG i loved it! (I think thats naturally the size my body is happy at)
But ended up eating a little too loosely and now Im back at 214.

I will admit that I have gone on atkins for 3-4 weeks at a time since last December but end up giving up because of no real weight loss.

Reason Im here:
Is it possible that my body has gotten used to my yoyo dieting and therefore not responding like it once did the first time?
I admit that since last year I havent been on atkins for more than a month at a time and rarely lose more than 3 lbs during said intervals.
Is it that I need to stay on longer to see results again?
I know everyone is going to slam me but sometimes I feel so discouraged to continue when my scale doesnt move!

Also, has anyone gained weight during? Ive been putting on and losing the same 3 lbs for the past two weeks. Could cauliflower be the culprit? I maintain my carbs to under 16 and know for sure its not my calorie intake as i barely eat to begin with when on atkins. I am in ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 10:23

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Hey! Welcome !!
I am also losing at a very slow rate, and since I have so my to lose, I know how frustrating that can be, so I have set my sights on feeling better and being healthy. So this is for the long haul, rather than rapid weight loss. I found that changing that mind set has really helped a lot, that and the support I get here. Although I don't post a lot, I find reading others journals and following the links keep me honest.
Looking forward to sharing this journey.... no slamming on my part, ever...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 11:30

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sure, I've gained weight during. I eat more calories than I need, and I'm sloppy about counting carbs. Last winter I added intermittent fasting, and that's kept me on track and losing, although very slowly. Even so, I do gain the occasional pound or two on the way. Just natural variations. You can do it.

Meg
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 11:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome DeeLovely
Love the name...love the soundtrack from De-Lovely.

Since you have been reading comments already...I will direct you to some more.
Dr Eades classic "Second Time Around" posts (3 Of them and hundreds of comments by now) all the posts at his link, and more in the Newbie Advice forum may help you. https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/
A bigger issue is not your body and a yo-yo diet, but how you remember "doing Atkins". Part 1: https://proteinpower.com/drmike/200...nd-time-around/

Low carb is not a "diet" you hop on and off and expect results. So yes, you need to stay on it longer...like forever. if you go back to eating the sweets and carbs that led to weight gain in the first place, you can expect the same results. I don't think it is eating too much cauliflower.
Although we don't count calories, calories do count.

Quote:
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 1992, 1999, 2002 p.143 “Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”

If you have been drinking liquid fats to be "more keto" stop that for sure, and go back to Atkins induction where dairy is very limited...measure the cream in your coffee...maybe cut out cheese completely...no nuts, no alcohol. Tough but it works even the second time. When at goal you may be able to add a glass of wine or a bite of dessert, but most of us find abstaining is the best plan forward. For me it is no sugar, no grains, no processed seed oils.

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jul-24-17 at 14:14.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 17:37

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hello DeeLovely,

I am new here so not sure my comments are worth much, but here are a couple anyway.

You've had success in the past, so you know it works. Don't let the scale discourage you in the short term. Many people will advise not to even weigh yourself the first couple weeks. When I started, I wondered why I had not lost 30 or 40 lbs in the first couple weeks, like some stories you hear about. I have lost about 5lbs a month consistently for the last year. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you are losing 3 lbs or 30 lbs a month as long as you are trending in the right direction. I also think that it could take longer than expected for your body to switch to burning fat, so going on and off for a month at a time probably requires a calorie centered approach rather than a keto type plan. Last comment is you mention barley eating. Some people have reported losing more after increasing calories. That is counter intuitive, and you still can't over do it with keto, but you do need to find your sweet spot.

Good luck. I look forward to reading your posts.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 19:03

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

In the past I've been guilty of eating too often, thinking if my carb counts were acceptable, then it was ok.

Then I started watching Dr. Jason Fung's videos and reading his blog and learned a lot about insulin, namely that it should be pulsatile, the less often the better, while trying to regain sensitivity. So no eating between meals, no eating before bed, and now I do intermittent fasting as well.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-17, 08:13

Stats: 245/215/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all so much for the support! This is why I've come here! You all are so awesome and encouraging! Thanks for all the tips and other posts as well directing me to other sites-all helpful!

I definitely know it works-think I really do need to change my mindset completely. I've recently been reading up on IF and thinking about going for it next month perhaps. I'm going to finish out this month straight and see results. I have stopped weighing myself everyday because quite honestly, I feel great! My jeans are fitting looser, stomach is flatter, not looking so "puffy"... so I know that the scale doesn't matter as much at this point. I just need to hear it sometimes from others who've been on the same boat as me. My mother has been slim all her life so when she talks about ways to lose weight, i usually roll my eyes (behind her back of coarse) and nod. lol

I will post pics soon too. Its a great visual lol