Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-02-06, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 137/131/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:32.5%/29.5%/21%
Progress: 50%
Default Relapsed

Hi everyone,

I'm Blondie and am following the South Beach Diet. I originally quit smoking on December 11, 2005 for six weeks, but have started and stopped and started again since then, quitting again for as long as a month. I'm currently smoking and have been for about a week.

I went on South Beach to lose the 12 pounds of "quit weight" I gained, and while slow, it's been effective. But now I've got to re-focus on quitting the nicotine habit. Anyone on this forum who can relate?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 18:52
Got another Harley

Plan: LOW CARB
Stats: 300/165/135 Female 5"04"
BF:44/29/21
Progress: 82%

well. not me... i have never smoked in my life until i started low carbing in my 40s..... but it helps me i think...... and by the time it does any damage i will be old...lol
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 20:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Keep quitting. IIRC, the average number of attempts to quit nicotine before success is 6 which is about what it took me. I'll be 6 1/2 months smoke free on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlieLadi
by the time it does any damage i will be old

HarlieLadi, I hope you'll rethink that wager (and you are betting against some pretty high odds). I'm afraid that it's an urban myth that 'a little smoking' is safe and just because you became addicted late in life, there's no guarantee that you won't feel the negative effects before you are old. It's true that generally speaking the less years and the less cigarettes you smoke, the less damage you do, but even 1 cigarette has the potential to cause lung cancer.
It would be such a shame to have been so successful in weight loss only to develop a life threatening illness from smoking.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 22:15
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I got back on locarb Monday, and am planning on quitting smoking Friday. I've been smoking for about ten days and already have a hacking cough.

Lisa, I appreciate the encouragement. I know this is something I have to do, and it's also something I want to do. It really is a life or death decision.

HarlieLady, I do hope you consider putting down your addiction to nicotine one of these days. It's said that each cigarette smoked takes ten minutes off your life. And you don't have to gain weight if you do it the locarb way.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 22:19
Registered Member

Default And Congrats

DUH! Almost forgot ~ CONGRATS to you, Lisa, on your six-and-a-half smoke-free months!!! Awesome accompliishment!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 13:05
Got another Harley

Plan: LOW CARB
Stats: 300/165/135 Female 5"04"
BF:44/29/21
Progress: 82%
Smile

yes, how true my few cigarettes a day habit might kill me

but I have a better chance of dying driving my new Harley Davidson on the streets of Memphis with the crazy drivers her cutting me off and dying in a crash....

I am living for the day. Riding my new Harley with the old one covered up for repairs....

and I also ENJOY and utlra light beer with 2.3 carbs along with my cancer stick....

lol
to each her own...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 16:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default effects of smoking between 1 and 5 cigarettes per day

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_inform...ghtsmoking.html

Quote:
The steepest risk of dying of smoking-related disease occurred among those who smoked between 0 and 4 cigarettes a day. Compared with those who had never smoked, those who smoked between 1 and 5 cigarettes a day were almost three times as likely to die of coronary artery disease.1

The impact of light smoking is stronger on women. Women who smoked 1 to 4 cigarettes were almost five times as likely to die of lung cancer as their peers who did not smoke. For men, the rate among light smokers was triple that for non-smokers.1