Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/156.2/130 Female 5.2
BF:75/72/65
Progress: 27%
Default Can someone tell me what I have to do?

Hi everyone

I have been in the Atkins diet nearly 3 weeks. I am getting tired of the food I eat I was wondering if it will be good for me change the diet. What do you think?

The problem is I din,t buy the book so I will need someone to tell me what I have to eat and how much. I will be very pleased if someone can help me

Thanks

SunnySpain
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 12:18
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Sunny

I'd really like to help - but Montignac is confusing enough for those who have read the book . What I suggest is checking out the Glucose Index - I'll paste a link for you when I'm done with this. If you can't get theMontignac book (maybe a library copy)actually a better book might be the New Glucose Revolution - which explains the Glucose Index/Load better and has a very good listing of foods.

Montignac is similar to Sugar Busters and Sommersizing.

Theres lots of info scattered through this section of the forum and I will give you a few basics here.

Phase 1 - Weight Loss
  • Eat Only Foods Low On The GI
  • Do not mix Carbs and Fat at the same meal
  • Limit oils and butter to 2tbsp a day
  • Whole Grains, Legumes,Low GI veggies are all ok
  • Eat you carbs early in the day
  • try to eat enough at meals that snacks are un-necessary

You really should do some reading on it though - like I said even those of us who have the book (or several books) are still confused at times.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 12:22
Stepford Malfunction

Default The GI List

Ok - Sunny

Check out the link below it should help you out

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 12:37
Stepford Malfunction

Default Meal Examples

When I started Montignac I posted my meals here so that more experienced could comment on them, you might want to look and see what I ate - it could be of some help to you. Those meals are not perfect, I was new to Montignac and there are some things I would do differently now - No Figs- is one I had dried figs the first few days and they are too high on the GI.

A good breakfast on montignac is - a cereal Oatmal, All Bran or Muslie (there is a recipe - I've heard a rumor that it might be tasty )
skim milk/plain fat free yogurt/berries

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=89743
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/152/145
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there, quick question:

Is it wrong to eat carb meals at night? Or does it always have to be in the morning (this seems to be the consensus of the advice given by everyone here). Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:18
Stepford Malfunction

Shirls

It's best to eat the higher carbs earlier in the day

say a cereal breakfast and have a protein/lo GI veggie combo at night. If you are going to have a higher GI at night - brown rice or beans - take it easy on the protein and fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 17:37

Plan: montignac
Stats: 150/150/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default :)

just read your post and hope you dont mind me asking some stuff.
i am new to montignac, all i really know is about the GI thing, that there are 2 phases and i just read what to do during phase 1
is it true that phase 1 should be done for AT LEAST 8 weeks???
and phase 2 is only to maintain weight, right? what exactly do i have to do during phase 2?
do i have to count the GI of every food i eat, or am i allowed to eat as much as i want to, as long as the GI of each food is low?

i really like this community
thanks

nadja
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 01:25

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

yes - phase 1 is designed to get your body to start reacting to blood sugar levels and insulin as normal, and your digestive system back to normal. It is not just a "kick start weight loss", phase 1 is the weight loss phase only. so it is the phase to get you within your ideal weight according to BMI range. 8 weeks is hardly that long!

phase 2 is how you should eat for the rest of your life. it reintroduces and broadens the types of foods you can eat,

Some people will take longer, some people will take a shorter amount of time, everybodies body is different.

I would strongly suggest you finish reading the book, and consult the numerous in depth posts about GI and GL and other very useful resources and websites.

All your questions are answered on this forum in very recent posts - just check through the last 10 or so threads.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 06:18

Plan: adkins
Stats: 314/284.4/170
BF:?
Progress: 21%
Default koko

koko... what diet are you doing,?/Doesnt sound like Adkins to me.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 13:05
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Blue Eyes

I'm doing Swartzbein Plan II - it's not like atkins because whole grains, legumes and a lot more fruits and veggies are allowed. Some people would not call it low carb as the carb allowances vary from 15-45 per meal, depending on your condition (which is explained in the book). So although it's low carb compared to what a lot of people eat compared to Atkins it would be more of a "controlled carb".

Edit - if you were reading old posts on this Montignac Board maybe that's how you got confused because I was doing Montignac Before I switched to SPII, Just look under where peoples names and pictures are and you can see what kind of diet they are on. I know it's confusing because there are lots of low carb plans that allow different things than Atkins.

Last edited by KoKo : Sat, Jun-28-03 at 13:07.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 21:48

BF:

hey koko - long time no hear! how is the new plan going?

I guess I drifted a long way from Montignac too - like a few of the old timers lol on here

still doing ngr though - still no significant change in weight, still happy with that. However - I started going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, and yoga at least 2 times a week now - so I've upped the exercise!

Hopefully I'll start seeing some benefits in about 2 weeks or so!

Spang
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 14:01
Stepford Malfunction

Spang!!!! nice to see ya,

I really enjoy SPII, even more than Montignac - Its all good whole unprocessed foods and the book really explains a lot about the role hormones like adrenalin and cortisol have in failure to lose weight and how we are to go about restoring our hormones to a healthy balance. Very easy plan to follow, every meal and snack is to contain protein, carbs, veg and fat - she lays out basic guidelines for fruits and starchy carbs start with the low GI ones and slowly increase as your adrenal glands and insulence sensitivity improve. Great cookbook too.

I've lost about 5 lbs but must admit it wasn't really on SPII, my son was graduating from University last month and I went on what I called "Desperation Diet" for a couple of weeks. Not very healthy, but hey vanity wins out at times.

I think you'll see better results increasing the exercise, I have lost a lot of inches (about 18 ) even before I lost pounds, I had been doing BFL type exercise, slipped a bit once the hot weather started, MUST get back to it.

I'll probably drop in to check on Montignacers from time to time - sad to see he hasn't improved his site any.

#13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 07:20

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Question Gluten-free montignac

I'm an IBS sufferer on the montignac diet but I've been told by my nutritionist that gluten triggers my IBS so can't have any wholewheat products or oats - furthermore the high fibre content of pulses also triggers my attacks. So basically I want suggestions of all the low-GI carbs that are left open to me - so far it's just cold new potatoes, sweet potatoes and brown rice.
Is anyone else an IBS suffer following montignac or similar? any advice?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 21:54

BF:

you can't have potatoes at all