Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 10:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My, you all have covered everything and with supplements I've never heard of. Assuming you eat LC with no sugars (inc. from fruits and alcohol) and no grains, do you watch the types of fat you eat? One important tenant of all Paleo diets is removing industrially produced seed, vegetable and soy oils, while using olive and coconut oils and getting enough Omega3 with food. Chris Kresser and Liz Wolfe have addressed the skin issues and what to do if the basic diet doesn't resolve tough cases, here is the start of his series:http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-f...thy-skin-part-1
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 15:13

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMe16
** Fish oil supplements actually will spike blood sugar, not sure if you're aware of that. I'd maybe take a break on that one for a while if you haven't yet since you're still having blood sugar issues.
** Your zinc levels honestly are quite a bit high, too. Did you know if you take high levels of zinc for long periods of time it can actually LOWER your immune system? I would not take a dose above what's in a multivitamin on a daily basis (in the case of an acute issue like a cold or the flu it's fine for a few days); 50mg is a bit high if you do this ALL the time. It will cause more harm than good!
** I don't disagree that, unless you have risk factors towards osteoporosis, you might not need the calcium. People that are more likely to need calcium are: 1 - someone who has a longer family history of osteoporosis, 2 - someone with a smaller, frail frame, 3 - someone who is not on low carb (lol - because low carb actually optimizes absorption of ALL nutrients moreso than any other way of eating!).
**It's also true that, if your reflux/digestive issues are caused by LOW stomach acid, then the calcium you are taking will only make it much worse. The Betaine HCL suggested by Were would definitely be a big help if you are one of the many who has low stomach acid (which actually gives one heartburn, reflux, etc oddly enough!).

The other items on your list are pretty much neutral, and the chromium is beneficial for your blood sugar (though you might want to look into chromium polynicotinate vs. picolinate; new info is showing the polynicotinate form to have more effect and it does not cost any more than the other usually -- I know Solaray makes a product called ActiChrom that is polynicotinate).

Thanks LosingMe16!

Both the fish oil and the zinc are to help with acne control. I didn't appreciate any noticable difference in FBG numbers before and after I started the fish oil. I'm willing to cut it for a while to do a more well controlled test, but I suspect it's not the culprit.

As for the zinc, I was under the impression that less than 100mg/day was OK--since I'm only interested in it's oil attenuating properties for acne control (not immune enhancement) are you still of the mind it's too much?

Calcium--yes, I have a history of osteoporosis in my family (in addition to my values being under on the RDA). And I will definitely switch to algae-sourced.

Digestive issues--I have none. I'm guessing you were referring to the use of the probiotic? That's just to combat the potential side effects of the temporary course of ABX I'm on for the acne.

Chromium picolinate--I will definitely look into the polynicotinate form!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 15:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My, you all have covered everything and with supplements I've never heard of. Assuming you eat LC with no sugars (inc. from fruits and alcohol) and no grains, do you watch the types of fat you eat? One important tenant of all Paleo diets is removing industrially produced seed, vegetable and soy oils, while using olive and coconut oils and getting enough Omega3 with food. Chris Kresser and Liz Wolfe have addressed the skin issues and what to do if the basic diet doesn't resolve tough cases, here is the start of his series:http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-f...thy-skin-part-1

Hi JEY100!

Thank you for that link, I love Chris Kresser (just got to see him at a book signing in Boston a week ago!).

Yes, I'm LC (less than 20g/day), no sugars, no alcohol, and no grains. I do watch fats. My primary sources of fat are olive oil, MCT oil, and butter (and of course, fatty meats). I have eliminated all seed, vegetable and soy oils with the exception of mayo made with canola (I've made my own, but defer to convenience on this one most of the time). Unfortunately I do not like most fish, so that's my primary reason for the fish oil supplementation.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 18:16

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Eh, in the case of acne it seems like the zinc is probably fine to take, though if it hasn't helped your acne at this point it is unlikely that it ever will - it usually helps in some way within a few weeks for people who are zinc deficient.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 19:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMe16
Eh, in the case of acne it seems like the zinc is probably fine to take, though if it hasn't helped your acne at this point it is unlikely that it ever will - it usually helps in some way within a few weeks for people who are zinc deficient.

Thanks! I've been supplementing for a little over 6 weeks. To be fair, its hard to tease out exactly how effective it's been since I started the ABX around the same time. However, I've definitely noticed a decrease in oil production so I suspect that it is having some positive effect.

Once I'm off the ABX, the Zinc will likely be the next thing I reduce and then ultimately eliminate (assuming the acne clearing I have now continues to hold).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-14, 05:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lucky you to meet him! Could your acne be acting up due to the brutal cold and snow in Boston lately? Yikes, a bad winter for you this year.
I meant to link part 2 of that series on Omega 3. http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-f...thy-skin-part-2
He also has a free Skin guide ebook in the right column, and it will be interesting to see his recs in the new book. I got my library to order it and arrives for me later today.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-14, 07:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Lucky you to meet him! Could your acne be acting up due to the brutal cold and snow in Boston lately? Yikes, a bad winter for you this year.
I meant to link part 2 of that series on Omega 3. http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-f...thy-skin-part-2
He also has a free Skin guide ebook in the right column, and it will be interesting to see his recs in the new book. I got my library to order it and arrives for me later today.

Hi JEY100, thanks for the link! Yes, it has been a pretty cold winter (3 degrees when I left for work this morning!!). I actually don't think the cold is much of a factor--I've been battling this adult acne for about 4 years now, regardless of season. It's strange--I had only very mild acne as a teen, and for most of my adult life I actually had amazing skin (the kind of skin where I didn't have to wear any makeup, and people would comment on how great it looked). Then it all went downhill. I've tried all kinds of remedies and protocols (OTC, prescription, natural) with only minimal or transient results. I finally (and accidentally) found that whatever bacteria is causing it is sensitive to amoxicillin, so for the past 6-7 weeks I have been on a tapering course of low dose antibiotics. The improvement has been nothing short of amazing, and now I am working with BHA's and retinoids to repair the damage (red marks and light scarring) that was done. That part is going well too--slow but steady progress. The big question mark is whether I can maintain these gains after I am off the ABX completely.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-14, 08:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP 1975
I've tried all kinds of remedies and protocols (OTC, prescription, natural) with only minimal or transient results. I finally (and accidentally) found that whatever bacteria is causing it is sensitive to amoxicillin, so for the past 6-7 weeks I have been on a tapering course of low dose antibiotics. The improvement has been nothing short of amazing, and now I am working with BHA's and retinoids to repair the damage (red marks and light scarring) that was done. That part is going well too--slow but steady progress. The big question mark is whether I can maintain these gains after I am off the ABX completely.

Thank goodness you found something because these things can be a real bear to pin down. I would also check out this Kesser article:

http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-...5-heal-your-gut

because leaky gut & bacteria infections go hand in hand.