Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/general low carb
Stats: 196/183/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question I am Molly, I am a Carb Addict

Who here recommends CAD/CALP and why? Can it possibly work as well as Atkins?

You see, I am having a very hard time due to a few factors that have put a huge road block in my ability to low-carb at all. I do believe that Atkins or PP are the best way to go if one can; however, I live with my folks after my divorce and have been self employed which has left me at a lack of funds for groceries. My well meaning folks buy most of the food and what they get is what I and my two kids have to eat. My dad does get me tuna and canned chicken. I have lots of fresh eggs and/or cheese for breakfast too. My mom cooks for my dad and makes a variety of foods that are not low-carb. (I cook sometimes but usually my mom prefers to cook.) After trying to follow Atkins (usually budget and temptation derailed me,) I have a hard time believing having a bit of potato with even a small dessert would allow weight loss; yet I see all sorts of you posting great stats! I remember reading Atkins books about glycogen in our muscles keeping the body from burning fat. It would be a wonderful thing if CAD/CALP seems to not effect this. I plan to try this for six weeks anyway and see how it works for me. I think in my situation this would be a much better way to go than to be victim of my own addiction which I have for so long. I have high bp and get out of breath walking from car to the store. I must do something!

I have the CAD/CALP book in storage but can't get to it. I will try to remember all teh rules and study up from the internet. What about Splenda in coffee in the am? Good or bad? Exercise: yes or now and when?
Thanks!
This site is wonderful.
Molly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 16:42
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 17:47

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Hi Molly,
Welcome - do come post in the main chat thread -Hour Power #4.
I do highly recommend CALP (can't comment on Cad as I never tried that earlier version of the Heller's), though since I never tried Atkins can't compare it. I can simply say it has been the only way that makes sense for me, and that it works well when I work the plan well.

My journal shows my ups and downs and detailed food logs for several times on - most recently I've been on plan for over 1-1/2 years. I encourage you to browse it, for my mistakes and my successes (and some recipes).

I think if you can deal with eating a more restricted in terms of variety diet, it wouldn't be hard for you to eat cm's for breakfast and lunch, and a balanced rm for dinner that will let you eat some of what your mom is making that isn't low carb. It's all about the balance of salad/cm veggie, protein and carb.
Eno has a wealth of information to share, and there are other long termers as well as newly committed folks who will share their tips about this journey.

best wishes to you!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 19:23
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
there is a good website, Stella Stye, tht has info on LC on a bidget.
I love this WOL- but you have to still eat very LC for 2 meals/day.

There is a terrific post by MakeItWork on the Hour Power thread- she calls it her "article" on CAd. It is from the last week or two-
E
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 10:29

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Hi Molly!
Welcome!
Just remember that a lot of people have a frustrating time going from Atkins to CAD/CALP. You may gain a couple pounds initially as you build up your glycogen stores. Weight loss is also slower verses Atkins. Just give it the full 6 weeks like you said.
I was on Atkins for several years and I believe going too low in carbs lead to my hypothyroidism and ultimately made me fatter than ever. CAD/CALP is the perfect solution for me: moderate carbs while implementing some sort of restraint (I need rules and guidelines!) yet also having the freedom to eat my comfort foods once a day without guilt.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: cad
Stats: 190/184.5/170 Female 5 8"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I definitely had the couple pounds up, when I went back to eating carbs. But that weight left also.