Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 11:10

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy HELP ME!!!!

Okay, here's the thing...

On Monday, I replaced real cigarettes with a nicotine patch to quit smoking. I haven't had a ciggy since. Yesterday I began having a very intense ice cream craving. Now, I'm pretty sure the two are related. I could very happily at 9:00 a.m. devour a mammoth bowl of chocolate ice cream!! I'm not even sure it's a true ice cream craving, or something to do with not smoking. It doesn't matter. Oh, could be TOM too! All I know is I want some ice cream and I want it RIGHT NOW!! And... I have never ever seen any low-carb ice cream for sale anywhere in Victoria. So, if I lose it, it's gonna be u-g-l-y!!!

I'm not really sure that anyone can help me, but I needed to vent, so thanks for that!

Wish me luck!! I'm gonna need all the strength I can muster today!

mmmm.... ice cream....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 11:17

Plan: mostly paleo
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

repeat after me, "it's just brain chemistry, it's just brain chemistry." Our habitual self-drugging (cigarettes, sugar, whatever) puts us in the position of wanting to keep feeding that chemical need we've created. Except for l-glutamine between meals, I don't know of any physical way to make it through cravings but the white-knuckle method.

Psychological tools, though--there are many. Imagine yourself at goal weight; every time that image of ice cream pops up, mentally mix some dirt into it so that the image is gross rather than attractive; use affirmations like "the cravings are weakening" and "I'm stronger than any food" And distract yourself. This would be a good day to clean out the garage (or whatever messy big project you've been putting off)

best of luck to you! and congrats on stopping smoking.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 11:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Donna, whether it's nicoteine w/drawal, TOM or other, the best thing to do is get some protein in you ASAP. Keeping blood sugar stablized and insulin from spiking will help with your cravings. Excess protein can and will be converted to glucose to help w/o causing such a rise in insulin. What you could be jonesing for is the serotonin produced by the carbs; protein will take care of this.

Keep lots of these LC protein rich snacks handy and don't forget your water!

The physical symptoms of cig w/drawal usually last about 5 - 7 days, breaking the habit takes longer. The patch will help; it's doing wonders for my 2 pack a day boyfriend.

Hang in there
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 11:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Fight it as you would fight any carb craving. Throw protein and fat at it!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 18:23

BF:
Smile I think the worst is over, for today!

Whew... that was rough! I went shopping with my chain-smoking landlady, we sat and had a coffe after Walmart and before lunch, as is the norm, she smoked, I didn't. We had lunch and went grocery shopping, where I lingered in the ice cream section, looked the assortment of chocolate ice creams over lovingly and then carried on.

Got home, cleaned the apartment top to bottom and here I am. The day is half over, and if I go to bed early tonight it's even more than half over!

I think today's crisis has passed. Thanks everyone for your ongoing support. It means so much! Especially on days like this! I truly appreciate each and every one of you!

I'll check back on this thread one more time before I go to bed, so I can say that I honestly beat the demons back for the whole day! ;p

Thanks again, you are all 's
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 10:21

BF:
Talking

I fell asleep on the couch, but I made it through yesterday!

Yippee!!!

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

Gonna go wake up now...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 15:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Congrats on beating that Nicodemon! They all say it gets better... we can only hope!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 18:28

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Atriana!

"Nicodemon"

I like it!

I still would really like some ice cream, weird. That may be a true TOM craving. It's one of the usual perpatrators.

Cheers!