Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 17:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 287/272/210
BF:
Progress: 19%
Unhappy quit smoking and wieght-loss progress

How does quitting smoking affect weight loss. I know when you quit your metabolism slows. Does this affect weight loss and if so how much. So far on atkins i've lost 16 pounds and have stalled at that. I'm also concerned about the lack of fiber in the atkins plan that is causeing some complications. i havent really lost anything for two weeks and am starting to wonder if im doing the right thing with this plan. Please give some advice on how to improve results, and how to incorporate more fiber without increasing carbs.
also does caffiene slow weight loss? if so how?
thanks
scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:45

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Scott here is what the Eades of Protein Power have to say about smoking and LCing:

Quote:
How do smoking and smoking cessation affect the diet ?

Smoking-particularly cigarette smoking-promotes the development of insulin resistance with all its attendant problems: obesity, lipid disturbances, atherosclerosis, hypertension, even diabetes. There is absolutely no reason to smoke, so why risk it? Many smokers fear weight gain when they stop, and indeed, stopping cigarette smoking causes a transient drop in metabolic drive (probably about 10%) which makes weight loss/maintenance a little tougher for a while. Coupling this diet with your efforts to stop smoking makes your job easier-through improved insulin sensitivity and better magnesium balance. We’ve had people from all over the country tell us that when they began eating their Protein Power Plan diet, their craving for cigarettes lessened and they were able to entertain notions of quitting smoking for the first time in their adult lives. May readers and patients have been able to stop smoking and still continue to lose weight.

As for your fiber question, are you eating your vegetables as required? I found that when I started LC ing I actually ended up eating more fiber. Fiber requirements hover around 25g a day - for people following a typical food pyramid approach. When you take things like wheat, rice and potatoes out of the equation you take out the gluey-stuff that makes the need for 25g of fiber a day! Generally speaking LC's do fine with 10 - 15g per day. Eating spinach, broccoli, cabbage, brussle sprouts and asparagus in the required quantities will more than fill your fiber requirement.

Whether caffeine slows weight loss is an individual matter - it could effect you but not me. If you notice a slow down then it should be one of the things you look to as a culprit. What caffeine can do is dehydrate you making fat loss come to a grinding halt. For every cup of coffee you drink you should drink one extra glass of water a day above and beyond the required 64 oz (8 glasses).

HTH
Nat