Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 00:54

Plan: Own Diet
Stats: 254/254/132 Female 178cm [5'10" ft.in.]
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Which Michel Montignac book do you own?

I would just like to know which book you own by Michel Montignac?

I want to purchase one of his books and I am considering getting one of his latests "The Montignac Diet" published 2006. I have however read that there are quite the difference between his older books and the latests ones.

Can anyone give me some info on his older books and posibly his latests ones.

All books below seem interesting and have received positive reviews...

- The Motignac Diet
- The Montignac Method Just for Women
- The French Diet: Why French Women Don't Get Fat
- Eat Yourself Slim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac/French Diet
Stats: 263/285/200 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: -35%

There's an even newer one, Slim Forever. This one has the most recipes in it, I think, which was why I picked it up.

From what I can tell The French Diet allows for mixing cooked fruit with other things, which he earlier told people to avoid.

I think there might be some difference in what he lets you mix with Carbs in The French Diet as opposed to the earlier ones. I picked up one of his older books just to get more recipes. There weren't that many, but there were some nice desserts.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 16:39

BF:
Thumbs up

this is the one i bought yesterday. FASCINATING!!!

i'll be buying the low GI carbs and low fat proteins tomorrow. i can't wait to try out some of the recipes, they look totally yummy!!

i copied a recipe from one girls xanga.com blog. she's on another diet but the salad recipe will be perfect on Montignac's Diet.

my next book from Michel will be "The Montignac Method Just for Women". it sounds like there're a lot of female specific info in that book that would be great to read up on.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 08:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny_gal
my next book from Michel will be "The Montignac Method Just for Women". it sounds like there're a lot of female specific info in that book that would be great to read up on.

Interesting. Would you mind posting what he says that's woman specific? I only have a couple of his books and would be curious. Also, any really great recipes you might find. If you like cheesecake, I've got a great recipe from a somersizer named Peter Neuman (that i've altered slightly) which is mostly legal. You'd have to find out which sweetener you trust the most. I think Montignac approves of fructose, so that would be fine.

-Lora
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 11:59

BF:

i haven't read the "Just for women" book yet, so i'm not sure about all the stuff that goes on in there, but this is just a short description of the book on Michel's website;

Michel Montignac bas become well-known through the publication of his previous best-sellers denouncing the errors of conventional diets and explaining that you only have to change eating habits to lose weight.

By giving a new orientation to his already famous MONTIGNAC METHOD, the author of Eat Yourself Slim... And Stay Slim! goes even further in the application of his nutritional principles, especially as far as women are
concemed. Their particular physiology has led him to adapt the principles of the Method to their various stages of development throughout life: adolescence, maternity, menopause, third age.

This "special" edition just for women is directed to all those women who think that slimming is more difficult for them than for men, whereas it is simply different.

Over and above the specific measures needed to return permanently to normal weight, female readers will find in this book a goldmine of advice to help them remain young, beautiful and in good health, as well as lose their cellulite, all through a wise choice of foods.

The Montignac Method, which bas been further developed, can now be considered to be a preventive approach, with a view to overall health.

i would love it if you posted the cheesecake recipe, but i'll save it in my recipe file until i lost most of m weight.

i'll deffinately post some recipes once i've tried them out. they all look really yummy and surprisingly easy to prepare...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Note, the first time I made it as a chilled cheesecake, the 2 packets of gelatin didn't seem like enough. It was more like pudding. I've tried 3 packets this time, but it hasn't chilled enough for me to tell how it's doing.

PETE'S THREE IN ONE CRUMBLY CHEESECAKE

This actually could be considered three recipes, as depending on how you prepare it, you can create three different desserts. The first of which is a crumbly cheesecake. Now, many of you are probably asking yourself who would want a crumbly cheesecake, however, there are those of us who love cheesecakes of all kinds, so why limit yourself? This baked cheesecake differs in so many ways from other cheesecakes, so it's a nice change of pace from the ordinary. Now, if you really dislike a crumbly cheesecake, then it's time to put into effect the "Three In One" part of the recipe. The second way to prepare this recipe is as a no bake dessert, which can be prepared in two ways, hence the "Three In One" title. You can either choose to make this as a no bake cheesecake, which is fully set, or as a thick and creamy, cheesecake pudding. As you can see, I've given everyone plenty of options with this recipe, so hopefully one of the many variations of it can give you a new and rewarding taste experience.

Preparation Time: 4-10hours (depending on how you choose to prepare this dessert)
Serving Size: 10-16

Ingredients:
4 (8) ounce packages of full fat, cream cheese, softened **
1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese, softened
3/4 cup full fat, sour cream
3/4 cup heavy, whipping cream
1 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
3 tablespoons orange zest ***
2 cups of equivalent of sugar substitute
5 eggs ****
2 packages of Knox gelatin or 2 tablespoons gelatin powder *****
1 cup of heavy, whipping cream *****

** To soften the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese, allow to sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Or, place in a large bowl and microwave on high power for 30 seconds per package of cream cheese used and 45 seconds for mascarpone cheese. **

*** I used the entire peeling from one mandarin orange and grated it finely. I find that the white part of the skin is so thin on a mandarin orange and it has such a mild flavour that you can include it in the cheesecake. If using a regular orange, I would use just the orange zest and not the white part of the skin, as on larger oranges, this white part of the skin has a much more bitter flavour and is much thicker. ***

**** You do not have to add the eggs if you are making this as a no bake dessert. However, even if I am making this as a no bake dessert, I add the eggs, as I find they add to the creamy texture of the dessert. If you are worried about using raw eggs in the no bake variation of this dessert, don't be, as there is only a 1 in 10, 000 chance that you can contract salmonella from eggs today. However, as an added safety precaution, place eggs in a hot bowl of water with a few drops of antibacterial soap for ten minutes. ****

***** If preparing the set, no bake cheesecake, you must use the gelatin and last amount of heavy, whipping cream. If preparing this dessert as a baked cheesecake or as a no bake pudding, do not use these last two ingredients. *****

Directions: If preparing a baked cheesecake, place one rack in the bottom of the oven. Fill a large, roasting pan with hot water and place in the bottom rack of the oven. Place another rack directly above the roasting pan, even placing the rack on top of the roasting pan, as you want the oven rack to be as close to the water as possible. Preheat oven to 300 Degrees Ferenheit.

In a large bowl, place cream cheese and mascarpone cheese. Beat on high speed with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffly, about 2 minutes. Add sour cream, heavy, whipping cream, and butter. Mix on high speed with an electric mixer until well blended and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, orange extract, lemon extract, orange zest, and sweetener. stirring until well incorporated. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until just blended. If preparing the baked cheesecake, follow directions
1. If making the no bake cheesecake, follow directions 2. If making the no bake cheesecake pudding, follow directions 3.

1. Grease a large, springform pan with butter and pour in cheesecake mixture. Place on rack, which is directly above roasting pan filled with water, and bake for 1 hour and 55 minutes. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cheesecake from oven and allow to cool on the counter for 2 hours. Run a thin knife around the edge of the springform pan, but do not remove the sides of the springform pan. Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Again, run a thin knife around the outside edge of the springform pan and remove the sides of the pan. To serve, cut with a knife which has been dipped in a bowl of very hot water. After you cut each slice of cheesecake, place the knife in the bowl of water for a few seconds. This will make cutting the cheesecake much easier and you won't end up with a lot of the cheesecake sticking to the knife. Also, I find this baked cheesecake tastes best if allowed to sit at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving, but this is only a suggestions. Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and enjoy! Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.

2. Place 1/2 cup of the heavy, whipping cream in a small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over cream and allow to soften for 3-5 minutes. Add the last 1/2 cup of heavy, whipping cream and place over medium heat on the stovetop. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Add to the cheesecake mixture and stir until thouroughly mixed. Grease a large, spingform pan with butter and pour in the cheesecake mixture. Place in the refrigerator and allow to chill 3-4 hours, until completely set. Run a thin knife around the outside edge of the springform pan and remove the sides of the pan. Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and enjoy! Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.

3. Pour cheesecake mixture into individual serving dishes or into a large, serving bowl. Chill for 3 hours, until thickened. Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and enjoy!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMagess
Interesting. Would you mind posting what he says that's woman specific? I only have a couple of his books and would be curious. Also, any really great recipes you might find. If you like cheesecake, I've got a great recipe from a somersizer named Peter Neuman (that i've altered slightly) which is mostly legal. You'd have to find out which sweetener you trust the most. I think Montignac approves of fructose, so that would be fine.

-Lora

I have almost all of his books, mostly for the recipes, and the one Just for Women. Overall, it is the same old concept of GI, he recommends to eat GI 30 and below, but keep an eye of saturated fat. I agree with everything but use of fructose as "safe" sweetener, even if fructose GI is lower than sucrose, it's still sugar.The recipes are very good, and I agree with his suggestions on soaking beans and grains before cooking, to make them more digestable. My mom tought me this too.
It was also interesting to know that duck and goose fat are great for cooking, almost as monounsaturated as olive oil is.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 15:39

BF:

hi dina, thx for your post.

is it really worth buying the other books of the recipes sake, or would i do better to search for other low GI cook books?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-06, 23:58
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny_gal
hi dina, thx for your post.

is it really worth buying the other books of the recipes sake, or would i do better to search for other low GI cook books?

I won't recommend to buy one for specially written for women, nothing new, same stuff. I personally love to cook but never use recipes, just follow certain techniques. You can follow low GI diet just by downaloding GI/GL list from the web, and eat on the low side of it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 11:17

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

The Montignac Method Just for Women is the one I own.
I really like it alot. I just re-joined weight watchers and their new
core plan is alot like this one.

and I lost 3 pounds last week.

Last edited by catcookie : Tue, Apr-10-07 at 11:18. Reason: forgot to add something