Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 21:20

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 156/?/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Postpartum weight loss

Hi. I am new to this forum. Well, I have been somersizing for two years now. Before I got pregnant I somersized and lost almost 20 pounds in 8 weeks! I was at 135 pounds (perfect weight for me). I maintained that weight for over a year. I cheated a lot but always stayed withiin a few pounds. Then I got pregnant..tried to somersize as best as I could but ended up gaining 45 pounds!!!!! Well, I have a beautiful baby boy and extra weight to lose (20 pounds). When I was nursing (3 months) I somersized the best I could and lost only 1 pound!!! I stopped nursing and no weight came off. So, I strictly cut out ALL my carbs..fruit, bread, milk, sugar, caffeine for two weeks. Lost only 4 pounds! Then continued somersizing while moderatly eating carbs. Lost another 7 pounds. So, here I am six months postpartum..and have about 12 pounds to go! It is not coming off!!!!! The first time I somersized the 20 pounds was off in a few weeks. Now...it does not seem to be working! Not sure what to do. Even exercising (when I have time). Is it the postpartum hormones (even after six months) or will I never be able to achieve that 135 pound weight again??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 08:41

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 580/451/165 Female 5ft 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Airam, I'm not sure why you aren't losing. It sounds like you are. Sometimes our bodies change and it could be the hormones. SS woe allows you the fruit and the low carb veggies. Are you watching the times between the carbos and the pros/fats? Are you eating enough? Sometimes we restrict the amount and the body goes on shut down. My daughter had the same problem after her baby. She found out she has a low thyroid and now is back on track. She needs to weigh around 145 for her weight. She had a hard time getting below that 150 mark. Give it a little time and keep on Somersizing. It'll work. Just keep up the good work. Sometimes it takes longer when you are close to your goal. Drink plenty of water to flush your system. Let us know how you're doing. Until later...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 16:12

Plan: Sommersize
Stats: 130/130/124 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thyroid

Postpartum thyroiditis is pretty common among new moms, often going undetected and affecting at least 5-10% of postpartum women during their first year PP. Sometimes, the mom will go hyper-thyroid for a while (which is currently happening to me) and will lose weight quickly but have a lot of other uncomfy symptoms too. This phase typically leads to a hypo-phase where weight loss is difficult and many women skip the hyper-phase and go straight to being hypo-thyroid, which may be you.

You should have a simple blood test that will confirm if your thyroid is not producing enough hormone, which is possible considering your difficulty losing weight, especially considering you were breastfeeding and restricting your intake. If you turn out to be hypo, the condition is most likely temporary and, in about 2/3 of the cases, will return to normal within a few weeks or months. Also, your doc can give you hormone replacement if you need it so that your metabolism will speed up to normal.