Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/210/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Cool Livin in Spain

Hi all...Greetings from Spain.

I have been living in Spain for almost a year and talk about carb heaven (or he**). The food is wonderful and the wine even better, but it has started to add on the LBS. I have just finished the 2 wks induction and so far am down 10. It is easier than I thought because of all the fresh veggies and meat. You don't find any luncheon meat with those nasty nitrates here. The biggest difficultly that I am have is my MIL is really upset that I don't eat here rice dinners with bread and "vino"......I now think I am the "bad" daughter in law. Any way just wanted to hola to everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:53

Stats: 200/170/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default where?

Where in Spain are you living? Did you marry someone there? Well, congrats on everything--living in such a great place, and losing the 10 pounds.

I also lived in Spain for a year recently (2001-2002) and will be there for two weeks in July (Pamplona, Navarra). You'll have no trouble finding foods for the low carb diet there.

Are you in a city? They walk a lot, and that will help you also.

good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 18:25

BF:

Hi anewlife:

I am orginally from Wyoming but lived in Florida for 12 years. Last year we moved to my husbands town. (Lesaka) . It is in the Navarra region. My brother-in law works in Pamplona (Burlada)and drives there every day. We are just finishing building our house and I it here. It is very peaceful and my in-laws-are very pacient with their american DIL.

Are you going to Pamplona for San Fermin and the bull fights?
What a wild and crazy time. I love that time of year.

Well it was wonderful hearing from you.

Adios!.....

Last edited by Rosebud : Mon, Sep-08-03 at 14:09. Reason: Removal of email address. (Against forum rules to post email addresses)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:51

Stats: 200/170/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 43%

Spain Lady,

Yes. We are going to San Fermin for the running of the bulls (my husband and I). This will be our 4th year to go. And it IS crazy!

So, you have just built a house? I think it is so neat the way they build houses there--all concrete and solid. Those houses will last forever.

Well, good luck with your diet!

un abrazo
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 10:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%

Hi there,
My dad moved to Spain this year (almeria) and I am wondering how easy it will be for me to LC when I am visiting him? Any ideas greatly appreciated. I'm already going to take my SF jelly but anything else?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 10:24

BF:

Hey, I have found lc here easier that in the US....People here just don't eat all the junk. They have wonderful salads, great ham, awesome seafood....gumbas al ajillo (shrimp scampi). The only problem I find is the wonderful bread and rice dishes....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 23:27

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

I'm going to Spain on Thursday for nine months. I'll be boarding with a family and don't want to offend them with my LC habits- any tips? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

KINGB123:

I'm sure that you are now in Spain, and what I really suggest, is to stay away from the frech fries, the PAELLA, and "bocadillo".
You will notice that here is Spain girls are super thin. You probably will feel "big"as I do.
Plus, it is really hard to find clothes that fit right (all the nice clothes are made for skinny gilrs.)
I suggest you eat what they give you. Just be carefull with breakfast (bread with jelly and butter, coffee and milk, most of the time). Ask for Scrammbled egs with ham and cheese or bacon.
In Spain is easy to follow a LC diet.

Good luck! By the way, where is Spain are you living?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 19:00

Stats: 137/133/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

WOW Spain. Lucky you. I have never been there. Question. Someone mentioned that the people are very thin. Why? Do they eat differnetly? Is there diet more low carb? Do they walk everywhere or is the culture thin obsessed? Americans are known for being over weight. I think it is fast food, watching tv, and computer games rather than moving. I'd like to hear about your Spain experience. Do you know how to speak Portegese (spelling)? Angie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:46

Stats: 210/175/150 Male 175 cm
BF:??
Progress: 58%
Cool

Hi there!
Although the diet in Spain contains bread, rice, pasta and so on, the truth is that people eat lots of fresh meat, fish, eggs, along with a good variety of cheese, vegetables and fruits. That could account for why people are not so fat.

Anyway, good habits are becoming a thing of the past... Fast food is becoming very popular so some voices have started to raise the alarm since obesity can already be seen in children. All the same whoever goes to Spain will still find a wide assortment of LC foods.

By the way Hev, did you finally come to Spain? If so, how did it go? If sometime you have the chance to visit Bilbao (where the Guggenheim Museum is located) let me know it. The Basque Country is located between Spain and France and that means that when it comes to cooking or eating, we take the best from both places so I'm sure you'd enjoy a gorgeous LC gastronomic spree.

Por cierto Becky, ¿como se entra en lo de Bodddies and Challenges?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:20
Registered Member

Hola Kamiruaga!
bueno, mira, en la seccion "Main Low-Carb diets Forums and Support " ahi encontrarás una lista con varios temas y foros de discusón.
El cuarto foro, de arriba haca abajo..se llama "Countdown Buddies and Challenges". Haz click ahi. Ahora verás el foro con muchos temas "Threads" y "Challenges". Haz click en cualquier "Thread" que te interese. "Te recomiendo el mio.... .

Saluditos y hasta pronto.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:24

BF:

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Orange]
Hola Kamiruaga!
Sounds like we are both in the basque country. I am living in the Navarra region. I went off of low carbing for a few months and boy am I sorry. Just started again on Friday.

Talk to you soon....agur!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 10:54

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

Well, I've been in Spain for about 6 weeks now. I've found it impossible to do low carb. Everything my family makes is breaded! I swear, the eat more bread crumbs per cubic inch of meat than I would have thought possible. As for the positive, I haven't gained the 13 lbs back I lost on Atkins before I left. THe problem is that I can't lose any more. Also, even though I'm maintaing my weight, I don' feel as healthy as I did when on Atkins. I've become addicted to sweets again too. Anyone have any advice for me either on how to feel better or how to break my addiction otra vez? THANKS SO MUCH!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 21:51
Registered Member

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!

So Sorry to hear that.

you will see that really soon you will be able to lose that weight you put back in.

Good Luck to you!

Spainlady, Come and join our Eropean Thread! You will love it!

Is is in Countdown, Buddies and Challenges forum.

Hope to see you there soon.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 07:25

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieT
WOW Spain. Lucky you. I have never been there. Question. Someone mentioned that the people are very thin. Why? Do they eat differnetly? Is there diet more low carb? Do they walk everywhere or is the culture thin obsessed? Americans are known for being over weight. I think it is fast food, watching tv, and computer games rather than moving. I'd like to hear about your Spain experience. Do you know how to speak Portegese (spelling)? Angie

I don't think people are so obsessed with weight as americans. Spaniards are obsessed about "health", though. we like our "mediterranean diet" and its food pyramid based on (from most important to less important) grains, vegetables, fish, starches and meat. And of course, we stay away from junk food and taking the car everywhere.

Before I gained the weight, I was a Spain S (US 0-1). Well, I went to the USA and the S was HUGE for me, I had to buy the XS and make it smaller later as it was still too large. Now I am a Spain Medium, the charts say it's a US 6, but in reality, it is a US2. You won't find any nice clothes bigger than a size US 6 (Spain L) here, perhaps 8 (Spain XL).

We're just born small. So there's no need to sell bigger clothes as nobody will buy them.

As somebody else said, we are having problems with our kids lately, as they're following the American culture (food wise). Women have recently incorporated to jobs (year ago, a woman would quit working after becoming a mother) so there's nobody to make the food and the kids will be taken to MacDonals etc. 12% of our children are obsese (compared to the 60% of Americans is nothing, but if you think the average rate of fat children was 0-5%, you realise what a problem it is).