Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#556   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-17, 11:39

Plan: lc, highish fat,
Stats: 224/150.5/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/29%/20%
Progress: 74%

I've been looking for this thread, which I loved soooo much, started by lovinita -- who is no longer here. It makes great reading, and maybe we have some things to add. I know I already posted things years ago, like buying off the rack, towels that fit around me, people who pick me up when they hug me....etc!!!
Sponsored Links
  #557   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 05:05

Plan: IF
Stats: 210/192.5/165 Female 66
BF:High wt, 276, 255
Progress: 39%

I've been thinking about the less obvious things lately, as I notice them, and one is I found myself walking downstairs carrying something and not having to shift it so I could cling to the railing with one hand. My balance is better, as my legs are more able to carry my weight. So now, as an additional balancing exercise, I make it a point to not hang on to the railing going up and down stairs.

I also notice that I am comfortably crossing my legs all the time now when I sit, which means fidgeting and swinging my foot more. There was a study done about the obese versus lean and figeting some years back.
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/28/h...study-says.html

Overweight people have a tendency to sit, while lean ones have trouble holding still and spend two hours more a day on their feet, pacing around and fidgeting...

The difference translates into about 350 calories a day...

It is the predisposition to be inactive that leads to obesity, and not the other way around, they suggest.

I think Gary Taubes had something to say about that in one of his books, but I don't remember exactly which way it went.

Anyway, I noticed a big difference from being over 200 lbs to being under in just feeling like moving more. Any movement. It's a good thing.
  #558   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 05:40

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx

I think Gary Taubes had something to say about that in one of his books, but I don't remember exactly which way it went.

Anyway, I noticed a big difference from being over 200 lbs to being under in just feeling like moving more. Any movement. It's a good thing.

Gary Taubes said that when you consume more glucose than your body can utilize it gets converted into fat and stored thus leaving you without sufficient energy and hungry in an effort to ingest more energy. When you are a fat burner, eating minimal carbs, you have plenty of energy to burn from those fats. Obese individuals are sedentary because they lack the energy. People who are fat burners, eating minimal carbs, have plenty of energy to utilize. This is what leads to the difference in activity levels between the obese and the thin, according to Taubes. I only started exercising daily after I had lost 100 pounds. Taubes explanation makes sense to me and seems to fit my own experience.

Jean
  #559   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 06:00
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Jean, that's been my experience as well... I'm rarely ever sitting still.
  #560   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I miss lovinita.
  #561   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 11:06

Plan: IF
Stats: 210/192.5/165 Female 66
BF:High wt, 276, 255
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
People who are fat burners, eating minimal carbs, have plenty of energy to utilize.... I only started exercising daily after I had lost 100 pounds.

Why? When presumably you were burning fat to lose those pounds.

I thought I remembered him saying that people aren't fat because they don't exercise, but instead don't exercise because they are fat. Which is the opposite from what these researchers in the fidgeting study concluded.

I've had a walking habit for decades no matter what my weight, and I am still fat now by any measure, but I seem to have crossed some sort of threshold where now I have a different sort of impulse to move, that I didn't have even 10 lbs ago. Going up stairs two at a time, for instance, which I found I canNOT actually do! But until recently, it never occurred to me.

In my lifetime, researchers have gone from thinking fat itself is inert to being a sort of endocrine system. Perhaps there's some kind of signaling going on, some connection of fat to exercise that we don't yet understand.
  #562   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 12:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 105%

When I had the energy to start a walking program, I started walking. I suspect it is because I had a lot of health issues to resolve, especially a severe gastrointestinal problem that kept me pretty much chained to the house a lot of the time. When I figured out how to resolve that good things started happening including my ability to take long walks. For me it's never been just about being fat or even primarily about being fat. It's been about being unhealthy in all sorts of ways.

Jean