Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 15:02

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Class Action Suit - American Diabetes Association

I started this new thread because the more I read, the more angry I get!

Has there been a lawsuit yet? If not there should be!

Two years ago I was diagnosed with "pre-diabetes" so I modified my diet to eat so-called "healthy carbs" like whole grain bread, more fresh fruits etc and my A1C shot had shot up to 10.1 and I started getting neuropathy in my feet as a result of their suggested diet!

5 days into a low carb diet and my glucose levels are dropping like a rock! Gee whiz! They would rather I take $1,000+ a month medication with all kinds of nasty side effects rather than just simply reducing my carbs! They should be sued for lying to the American public! What a &$%^#~! scam! All the ADA is are shills for the drug companies!

I have read about people who actually had insulin pumps in their body like some freaking cyborg, that go on low carb and have been cured! This is unbelievable!

How can we start a class action law suit??? I want to be involved! Following their advice has caused me permanent nerve damage and I AM PO'd!

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 21:16

Plan: Keto Diet (LCHF)
Stats: 267/220/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I do not know how to start the suit, but I am with you all the way on how criminal ADA is.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 21:56

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Calm is in order. Suing doesn't solve problems, People working together solves problems
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 03:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

"Working Together"....just not with the ADA.

Their corporate sponsors are Big Pharma and Food, write them off and move on to the many positive ways to spread knowledge about the solution of simple diet changes through social media. People are finding their own tribe, finding crowd-sourced knowledge on how best to control their blood sugar.

Dr Bernstein, Atkins, then Westman have been voices for the treatment of carb intolerance through diet for years. But now individuals like the https://www.diabetes-warrior.net have been spreading the word, even having to fight the NC Dietetics association that tried to shut him down. From websites to wider social media, FB pages like Reversing Diabetes and TypeOneGrit counter the nonsense from the ADA (there have been some wild threads on the ADA FB page over the past few years). Individuals keep chipping away at the official ADA posts...someone added this paper this morning as a comment. http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/articl...0332-3/abstract

Something I've noticed in just the past year is that individuals with no formal medical training, who have taken control of their health and are spreading the word, have not gotten the push back through legal channels like Diabetes Warrior did.

Check out the 2 KetoDudes, both software engineersy. They had a weekend long KetoFest and are now "teaching" diabetes management at two companies in Texas (recent podcast episode) http://2ketodudes.com/#science. The advice for the last 30 years has created an obesity and Diabetes epidemic, so even companies are not inviting the "experts" anymore but turning to people who have learned how to reverse their diabetes. Be a success...then talk about it at small groups, (my friend Jess did just that https://www.dietdoctor.com/people-c...ved-life-health) Maybe your doctor who recommended Atkins would sponsor a group support meeting? Those who have been at this for years say the change will not trickle down from the government or lobby groups like the ADA, but will be a ground swell of crowd sourced knowledge that changes the advice.

EDIT: after writing this, I found this link on a general nutrition and metabolism page. Everyone and his brother (at least in my little world) is out for the ADA.
https://therussells.crossfit.com/20...-and-cover-ups/
And check YouTube for Butter Bob Briggs, aka Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-11-17 at 07:32.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 05:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think one problem here is that an individual scientist/doctor/researcher doesn't actually have to be corrupt to be a shill for the drug companies. They only have to have drunk the kool-aid, and there's plenty of kool-aid to go around. Is it wrong to take money from Coca-Cola if you believe it's total calorie intake, rather than some special effect of refined sugars, that does the damage? It might not be very smart to hold that opinion, but is it unethical?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 06:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

No, it's not unethical if that's the belief. Misinformed and unaware of the latest research is really the case here with the majority. However, the pablum of information paid for and promoted by big pharma and big food should be enough to cause discerning medical professionals to ask questions and re-examine the situation. I was always told that a good physician stays abreast of the latest medical findings. Unfortunately, this is a naive belief and, in itself, is an ethics issue for those who neglect this responsibility.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 09:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dude, I 100% agree with you. It enrages me to the point that I can't even handle the Research/Media forum most of the time. Too much of it is bad news. Dr Oz garbage and the like.

I can't help but think of the numbers in terms of human-years died too young. Imagine the total, sort of like man-hours when you're calculating labour costs. Would it be in the millions? Men who didn't get to walk their daughter down the aisle at her wedding. People who didn't get to live to hold their grandchildren when they were born. All because they did what their doctor, the ADA, and dietitians told them to do. Not to mention the slow suffering of blindness, renal dialysis, amputations, and dementia.

Maybe I'm too impatient, but in the 15 years I've been on this forum, too little has changed. That's almost a generation. I'd bet my last dollar that almost every teen born the year I joined this forum who would go to their doctor for help with obesity, will still be told to eat low-fat and eat lots of HeartHealthyWholeGrains™.

"They" make us sound like tin-foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists. I hope most young people are using their internet savvy-ness and figure it out.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Aug-11-17 at 09:53.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 17:02

BF:

My point in saying there should be a class action suit was not to make money or to be "mean" - its like my mom used to say: "little boys who won't listen have to feel" before she spanked me

I don't want to debate the pro's & cons of spanking kids, the point I am trying to make is that the ADA definitely needs needs a "spanking" IMO - and that may be what it takes to make them throw out the SOB's running the joint and replace them with people who will be truthful and honest.

Bill
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-17, 04:34

If you think the new administration may throw out dishonest leaders, you only have to look at Dr Brenda Fitzgerald's long standing and deep ties with Coca-Cola. She is the new head of the CDC, and its abysmal record with the CDC Diabetes Prevention program will continue. Like the ADA, it focuses on activity, with little mention of sugar and processed foods as contributing to the diabetes epidemic. https://therussells.crossfit.com/20...-and-cover-ups/
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 11:40

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I started this new thread because the more I read, the more angry I get!

snip .....

I want to be involved! Following their advice has caused me permanent nerve damage and I AM PO'd!

Bill

If you read Berstein's book, you'll learn he reverses nerve damage, foot, with his low carb approach.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 13:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
If you read Berstein's book, you'll learn he reverses nerve damage, foot, with his low carb approach.

I have noticed improvement in just this short time, so I'm hoping!

EDIT: OK, I just ordered his book.

Last edited by TucsonBill : Tue, Aug-22-17 at 18:00.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 03:03

Good news In addition to his must-have book, check topics on his YouTube Playlist. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...L4BPhvMo0Ck_lcY
Session 43 all about Neuropathy and he has a few words about the ADA in other sessions.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 09:19

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

LOL I just noticed session 2 is "The problem with the ADA diet." That must be a long one.

I was lucky. They forgot to send me for Diabetes Classes when I was diagnosed so I learned all my information online, where I could learn from people actually dealing with the disease. That's where you learn the truth.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 13:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Good news In addition to his must-have book, check topics on his YouTube Playlist. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...L4BPhvMo0Ck_lcY
Session 43 all about Neuropathy and he has a few words about the ADA in other sessions.

Thanks, that's an encouraging video. I did notice the pain stopped within the first two weeks, now I just have tingling.