Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 10:56

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Fibro maybe, yeah, probably

Hi ya'll,

I haven't been here for awhile. quit my lovely low carb diet for quite a long time, I don't even know why. Best guess is being hungry NOW (you know how it is right?) and not having food prepared, because i was falling on my face all the time, so tired and needing a nap. Wicked headaches that sapped every bit of energy I even thought about having.

Then pain set in. tests, tests, and more tests, nothing wrong of course, so it must be fibromyalgia. Really? I was pretty skeptical. Pushing on all the little fibro "hot spots" yielded nothing, there just wasn't much out there that said antything substancial about Fibromyalgia, the doctor sure didn't have anything substancial to say, other than to opine that it is

an emotion/mental/trauma type thing, which really just kind of pissed me off.

So where does it go from there?

A class, one class, and pills for pain.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for whatever manages the pain, except nothing really does. you just think it is helping, until you have a really bad pain day, and then you sure know better.

Those headaches sure got worse, but didn't seem to be part of the Fibro. I hacve a good doctor, and she ran tests, switched up medications, whatever I needed. she's awesome

My face started to hurt, my eyes too, so we explored myofacial pain, seemed reasonable at the time. Turns out I am losing my vision, possibly permanently, allegedly from being overweight, but that is neither here nor there at this point.

My head hurt because I have too much cfs (cerebralspinal fluid)
which put too much pressure on my optic nerve
which caused my optic nerve to swell
which cause imparements in my vision

this is idiopathic apparently

must be why I feel like an idiot

called Psuedotumor Cerebrii

happens to OVERWEIGHT MIDDLE AGED / CHILDBEARING AGED WOMEN

That ticked me off too. Dont get me wrong, I AM an overweight, middle aged (real doubtful on the childbearing part) woman, but this is only based on who is seen the most for it, nothing else, because there is nothing else.

The reaction is extreme! i was offered gastric bypass on my first visit. That is how serious it apparently is, idiopathic or not. Turned em down flat on the bypass, so here i am, back again.

I was curious if anyone else here had this going on?

and I hate the fibro. I can do something and be wiped out for four days, or do nothing and still be wiped out for a week or more.

*true confession* a deep abiding love for poptarts has also conspired to keep me away from here

I miss you strawberry poptarts!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 11:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I pretty much cured by fibro by going gluten free. Have you looked into that?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 12:47

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

nope, not yet, i could though. gonna be hard at this point, it's hard just staying on the diet. been out of the habit too long.

really though, it just seems too magical, they way it comes and goes, for it to not be attached to something right?

It's really good to see oyu, i'm glad you are still here
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 13:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember you. Glad to see you're back.

Before I went gluten free, but after I went low carb, I often had aches in every joint. It'd travel around my body. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, but it magically went away after I eliminated all gluten from my diet.

Read "Wheat Belly" it might inspire you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 14:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

My joints ache terribly when I eat gluten. In fact back in the spring, my back completely locked and my muscles went into spasm to the point where I couldnt move and had to call an ambulance. I was given a diazapam injection and told that I needed tests to find out the cause. After that, my joints and muscles continued to ache and I was given an appointment to have these tests. Anyway, I then started back on low carb and its all gone. No aches, no spasms .... nothing. So I cancelled the tests and just feel so fit, unstiff and un-achy now. I bet my tests wouldnt have proved it was gluten and I bet I'd have been given tons of medication

Jo xxx